Thread: New York Shopping

Thanks

New York Shopping

Hi all,

I'm heading there soon and want to get some shopping in, anyone know where PC bargains can be had?

I've done some googling, but it all appears to be mail order only - was hoping to find a large discount store that could service my needs.

And anyone know if theres a limit to what I can bring back? Was thinking of some Corsair RAM (4GB's), another 7800GTX and perhaps a 3800 X2 (next project) if my funds stretched to it -can I bring all that back without being 'told off'?

Anything I can get anyone whilst I'm there...form a Q.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    Do you mean New York the state or New York City?

Thanks
    Anywhere, I'm there for 8 days so have plenty of time to get around. Although Manhattan would be ideal.

I was told jersey City would be an ideal location for some bargains becaue we Brits dont pay Tax or something?

So you tell me the best place to buy and I'll toddle on down there.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    I've never been to Jersey City, but I know it has a large "Urban Enterprise Zone" which allows retailers to charge half normal sales tax. Normal sales tax in NJ is 6%, so it's only 3% (often included in the list price) in the UEZ.

Occasionally the large retailers have some pritty good deals/rebates, the best (reliable) deals to be had are still going to be online. Large online retailers (ie newegg) have the best base prices and you don't have to pay any tax on them as all sales taxes are at the state level and out of state mechandise can't be taxed.

Best bet, in my opinion, would be to have some one near where you are staying order the parts you want and give them to you.

Sometimes you can find great deals at computer fairs, but alot of the stuff at those fairs is of questionable origin, if that bothers you.
    Last edited by oralpain; 15-09-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    I've never been to Jersey City, but I know it has a large "Urban Enterprise Zone" which allows retailers to charge half normal sales tax. Normal sales tax in NJ is 6%, so it's only 3% (often included in the list price) in the UEZ.

Occasionally the large retailers have some pritty good deals/rebates, the best (reliable) deals to be had are still going to be online. Large online retailers (ie newegg) have the best base prices and you don't have to pay any tax on them as all sales taxes are at the state level and out of state mechandise can't be taxed.

Best bet, in my opinion, would be to have some one near where you are staying order the parts you want and give them to you.

Sometimes you can find great deals at computer fairs, but alot of the stuff at those fairs is of questionable origin, if that bothers you.
    does questionable origin mean stolen or just fake type goods? Either of those I want to steer clear of ideally.

I've got no one in NY at all and so it might just be search for a local retailer once I'm there. guess the larger stores will be out of town affairs and you'll need to be a local to know where they are.

Any specific chops come to mind?

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by theuncharmed
    does questionable origin mean stolen or just fake type goods? Either of those I want to steer clear of ideally.
    Both.

I've got no one in NY at all and so it might just be search for a local retailer once I'm there. guess the larger stores will be out of town affairs and you'll need to be a local to know where they are.

Any specific chops come to mind?
    The larger chains are everywhere. CompUSA, Best Buy, Circut City, ect, are generally ripoffs, but they still have their fair share of deals.

I can't give you any specifics of smlaler stores in the area, but most of them should be advertised in the yellow pages as well as in local newspapers. Most have their own websites as well.

I'd be willing to order some stuff for ya at cost, but I'm 400km away from NYC and it probably would not be worth the detour.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    Both.
    I'd be willing to order some stuff for ya at cost, but I'm 400km away from NYC and it probably would not be worth the detour.
    I appreciate the offer though, but 400 KM is like going from end of the UK to the other and to an Englishman thats just crazy mileage

I'll just grab a local rag have a browse and if something pops up i'll show them some green. I was looking on newegg and most of the prices seem to be similar to what we pay here anyway, so may not be worth me bothering in the end. we'll see.

Again thanks for the offer - forums are wonderful things aren't they.

Purple Member
    Thanks
    • Tarffie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 (PC2-8500C5)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT 512mb w/ Accelero S1
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408wfp & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50Mb/s
    Really didn't see any smaller independent stores when I was over there, none I'd buy from anyway. There were a couple in China Town but they seemed a bit suspect. There were a couple of bargins in CompUSA (in the Midtown area, just below Central Park) and a few more in J&R, which is a couple of blocks across from Ground Zero. Neither seem to be really enthusiast stores though. They had quite a lot of accessories, cases, mods etc, but stock of high-end stuff seemed fairly limited.

Thanks
    thought it might be a bit like that, few stores selling the smaller goods and then either out of town or online stores selling the biy boys stuff.

If I find something, I'll get something, my trip isn't after PC parts it would be just nice to get something while I'm away.

probably just get a CD wallet saying "I LOVE NYC" on it ....yay.

Thanks

And anyone know if theres a limit to what I can bring back? Was thinking of some Corsair RAM (4GB's), another 7800GTX and perhaps a 3800 X2 (next project) if my funds stretched to it -can I bring all that back without being 'told off'?

Anything I can get anyone whilst I'm there...form a Q.

I think the limit on what you're allowed to bring in the country is £150 of goods, it may have recently been increased to £800 though. You should check.

A word of warning though, if you go through the green channel without declaring the things you've brought back and get pulled, you'll get in trouble plus you'll have to pay VAT and Duty on all those items.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
    I appreciate the offer though, but 400 KM is like going from end of the UK to the other and to an Englishman thats just crazy mileage
    Heh, I know. Thats why I originally asked NY state or NYC. The state is as big as the british isles.

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    You're going to New York....NEW YORK....and you're asking about PC BARGAINS?

Is this little trip the first time you've left the house all year?

Thread Information