Thread: Mac + Firefox fans, verses security

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Mac + Firefox fans, verses security

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...threat_report/

Okay so its by symantec, but the satistics seam to be true.

A lot of people are using platforms mistakenly under the gise of security, when in fact all they are been given is security by obsquirty. A lot of people who shoot their mouths off on the matter, have no technical understanding (linux vrs windows always gets this).

But it made me start to think, how many of you actually care about security? I'm on my tablet pc right now. I've just logged into my internet banking, other than that, there is nothing secure on it. Yes my phone at present as one dodgy pic, which you could get at via actisync, but other than that, there is nothing worthwihle on here, my uni work is dull contrived and un-inspired, i do little work on this, other than take notes/doodle. Why care about security? This might be the 2nd pc role, but security isn't even a concerne (the awsome tablet input is).

So i ask you, Firefox fans, is it about security, or standards.

Mac fans, well your all "freedom to play with hardware nazi's" anyway so please, don't respond about the reg artical not corisponding with your viewpoint.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...threat_report/

Okay so its by symantec, but the satistics seam to be true.

A lot of people are using platforms mistakenly under the gise of security, when in fact all they are been given is security by obsquirty. A lot of people who shoot their mouths off on the matter, have no technical understanding (linux vrs windows always gets this).

But it made me start to think, how many of you actually care about security? I'm on my tablet pc right now. I've just logged into my internet banking, other than that, there is nothing secure on it. Yes my phone at present as one dodgy pic, which you could get at via actisync, but other than that, there is nothing worthwihle on here, my uni work is dull contrived and un-inspired, i do little work on this, other than take notes/doodle. Why care about security? This might be the 2nd pc role, but security isn't even a concerne (the awsome tablet input is).

So i ask you, Firefox fans, is it about security, or standards.

Mac fans, well your all "freedom to play with hardware nazi's" anyway so please, don't respond about the reg artical not corisponding with your viewpoint.
    i like firefox more because its faster and is just handier to get at on my linux computer. i don't really care about security as a hardware firewall and a quick scan with a software antivirus every once in a while seems to keep pritty much most problems solved.
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Thanks
    number of viruses in the wild for mac osx = 0

speed of firefox fixes > IE

I think I'll take the firefox and osx route thanks symantec

That said what worries me in the osx world is that when the first viruses is released it will be big as most mac people don't have a clue about security or viruses. And most anti virus products for mac are poor to terrible and dont scan incoming viruses.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    problem is the number of viruses present on the mac, isn't good defense. There are some virueses, its just there not that wild.

Firefox bugs are patched faster, but the point of that link was that there are more bugs. Think flood defenses, if you re-enforce one area, but without bothering to think about the surounding, you just end up with a flood 5 miles furhter away. Firefox have been accused (because of their source base) on not testing patches enough.

The fact of the matter is OSX is a posix system, and as such is vunerable to a whole host of worms. Such as apache ones (this is why i didn't want to get onto the mac question). BSD is a good kernel like NT, and its normally a case of the programs that run on it having issues.

Myself i don't trust a browser anymore, and i'm looking to make sure i isolate it from important stuff.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information