• Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    It will look misty for the first day or two until the filtration kicks in properly. Its usually the gravel that does that regardless of wether its been washed or not, you can never get it 100% clean when you first put it in (I jetwashed mine and it done the same ! ). At a guess when you say misty its got a white cloudy kinda look to it ? If so its the gravel !

Just keep pouring boiling water over the bogwood if you cant actually boil it, you will notice when you change the water on it eventually not as much colour is coming out of it. If you can, put it in a metal container as metal holds the heat better than plastic. I would say change the water in it about 3 / 4 times a day to try and keep it hot.

Alot of things like water changes you will start to get a feel for it and know when to do it naturally, just by the way the fish are behaving even if it looks clear. Sometimes my tank can look crystal clear but a sure fire sign that water needs changing is the fish look like they are gasping, in extreme cases the fish will hang around the surface of the water and nose up to get air from above the surface.

My water looked really clear today but after feeding my fish they started gasping about an hour later, alarms went off so I replaced the carbon head and another hour later water had become crystal, not just clean and the fish had stopped gasping.

Thanks
    The mistyness is due to oxygen in the water - it'll settle overnight. if it gets misty when you add new fish, it's because of tank shock - too many fish in too smaller space.
    Tim N

Ant
    Thanks
    This is some great advice guys/gals! I too am looking into setting up a fish tank in my room, so I have been reading this in great interest. Though like you have mentioned, a lot of research needs to be done before buying all the equipment and fish.

I would love to set up a marine tank, which I know will take a ton of effort. Luckily I have a friend who is quite into his marine setups, so I may pick his brains quite a bit. I have also bought a few beginner books to read. There's so much to learn. If I do get it going, I'm certain it will be worth all the effort. I can sit and watch fish for ages, very relaxing.

Ant

Thanks
    marine is out of my league - doesn't that involve skimming?
    Tim N

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Yeah, Marine setups do require skimming, its alot of work as when you do water changes you have to recalculate salt levels and know exactly how much to replace etc..

Its very expensive if you mess it up also as the fish can be very pricey (albeit the most colorful fish you would ever see)

If you are going to setup a marine tank speak with youre friend about it and get his take on it. They usually arnt any good for beginners (Dont take that the wrong way or personally please), I've been keeping fish now for nearly 15 yrs and only recently have I pondered on setting up that type of tank, everything has to be just right for them.

I believe after you have done the initial setup you have to leave the tank running for around 2 months before you can put any livestock in, then you can only put one or two fish in to help the water bacteria levels and then after about another month you can start introducing more fish.

Sounds very complicated I must admit, might have a dabble in it next year at some point, it would be worthwhile doing if I can pull it off.

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferral
    Yeah, Marine setups do require skimming, its alot of work as when you do water changes you have to recalculate salt levels and know exactly how much to replace etc..

Its very expensive if you mess it up also as the fish can be very pricey (albeit the most colorful fish you would ever see)

If you are going to setup a marine tank speak with youre friend about it and get his take on it. They usually arnt any good for beginners (Dont take that the wrong way or personally please), I've been keeping fish now for nearly 15 yrs and only recently have I pondered on setting up that type of tank, everything has to be just right for them.

I believe after you have done the initial setup you have to leave the tank running for around 2 months before you can put any livestock in, then you can only put one or two fish in to help the water bacteria levels and then after about another month you can start introducing more fish.

Sounds very complicated I must admit, might have a dabble in it next year at some point, it would be worthwhile doing if I can pull it off.

Marine tanks, when set up correctly, can look absolutely stunning, which is why it is so appealing. I hope that I can set one up one day.

But, yes, I am a beginner (no offence taken btw) so realistically the best way to achieve this really is to start with a freshwater setup. Get to know the basics first. That is the road I will take. The last thing I want is a tank full of very expensive floating fish!

Ant

I am Domo-Kun, hear me Roooaaaarrrrrrr!!! uchiha_itachi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have managed to find a big enough metal pot to boil the bogwood. How long should I boil it for, and how much salt should I add to the water?

Update on the fishtank, just got home from work now, and the tank looks considerably clearer than last night. Still looks slightly misty if I view it from the side, considering I have only had the filtration and heating system on since last night 10pm, I assume I should leave it alot longer to see more clearer water?

Once again, many thanks to all for their help.
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post
    the large ones were definitely a 2 handed job.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Yeah, just keep the filtration going. You NEVER turn that or the heater off, just the light to give the fish a day / night cycle.

In another few days the water should be crystal clear.

As for the salt a few good handfuls should do it. Use it to seal in the colour and help kill any bacteria on the wood.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Tropical fish are beautiful but IMO TOO fiddly to keep. I have a nice tank with 2 goldies in it, and they are still alive. I don't feel so bad if one pops it cos they are only 99p from my local pet store. You feel bad if your nice £60 lionfish pops it after a few weeks ...

Thanks
    Update

After leaving the tank and filter on from friday night, I decided on Tuesday to get some fish.

Went to the fish store and got only 6 fish. 2 each of three different types. I know that one type are tiger barbs. Anyway I followed the advice given in this thread. Also the help which was given by the person in the store. And its been 2 days now and the fish seem pretty good. I bought a water testing kit and tested that yesterday, all the levels of eveything seem ok. They were within the safe ranges.

I am a bit paranoid as after I fed the fish, (am only feeding once every two days at the moment) they just kept up at the top of the tank. Reminded me of ferrals statement about his fish going up at the top, and that it was an indication that he needed his carbon filter changed. I'm not sure if it the same problem as that as sometimes the fish will stay at the bottom of the tank, and also the middle for long periods of time. I checked on the fish this morning before i left the house and they were all at the bottom of the tank but some at the top. My wife thinks I am being paranoid.

So, what next? My bogwood seems like it is ready for the tank. I kept soaking it in boiled water changing the water 3-4 times daily and water still kept getting brown. The wife suggested using cool/coldwater to soak the wood as this would be the temperature of the water in the tank. And what do you know? The water is crystal clear. Pleased with that. I will try to get some pics to you, before I didnt have a digicam, now I do my adsl is down, (posting this at uni).

Hopefully I am doing something right, as the fish are still alive. Oh, and I also bought an airpump which makes bubbles in the tank. Is that going to help in supplying oxygen to the tank? Or is it merely decoration?

Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post
    the large ones were definitely a 2 handed job.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe
    Sorry for bumping this thread from so long ago but i didnt know we had so many fish aquarium owners

Well recently i am having a problem with algae because of the sunny warm weather. Most of my tank ( juwel 120) is out of the sun except for about a foot of it which is at the side of the window.

Its here that its getting really green and no matter how hard i rub it off it comes back a day later and its starting to make my tank (and once white gravel) very ugly looking. Ive had my tank for over a year now. Recently my clichards got an awful bloody famine or somthin lol killing 6 out of the 8. I have other fish like big bala sharks etc but am now done to maybe 11 fish?

Im not willing to get more fish until i get the algae problem gone and my tank back to some normality. I have tried getting sucker fish but they dont seem to last me too long.

So has any of you guys got any advice? Also advice on any new fish to get would be nice

Kind regards

Neon
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    One word : Plec

The Plec will eat the Algea and keep the tank glass and gravel clean. When looking at the Plec it looks like it has a big suction cup for a mouth, definately does the trick.

You can also get an Algea killer from a fish store which reduces the background level. Thing that a lot of people don't realise is that Algea is a living organism in itself and it actually suffocates the fish by taking the oxygen out of the water helping it to grow.

First and foremost I would do a 50% water change using a gravel pump to get all the gunk out of the gravel. Then get some of the algea killer (King British is the best one in my own personal opinion). King British one is called Green Algea Control (Green and white coloured box) and it is Number 3 in their product list inside the booklets.

When you put something like Algea Control in make sure you take the carbon out of the filter as it will stop anything you put in the tank from working effectively. After 3 days the background Algea should have died off and you will be able to put the carbon back in. While the carbon is out you may notice the water getting a little murky, don't panic though this is perfectly normal and will clear up again when you put the carbon back in.

Some info on the Plec :

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm

The Plec can get quite big but it leaves other tank inhabitants alone, mine is now around 5" in size and shares the cave with a Rainbow Shark and they are no bother at all.

To finish off you need to try and find out what that disease was that killed the fish. Have a look around the site that the Plec link is on, they have a full guide on disease and you should be able to pinpoint the problem. Once you know what it was treat the tank accordingly before adding more livestock, just incase it is still in the water (regardless of whether your remaining fish are showing symptoms). I think it sounds like a bacteria problem and once again you can actually get various potions that will kill it off, just make sure you read the instructions (All of them are about the smae though, carbon out etc). Also check your water temps, if sunlight is actually hitting the tank the water will be getting warmer so you may need to drop the heater temp down a few degrees for over the summer. Bacteria grows faster in warm water as does the Algea.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe
    Thanks very much for your help Ferral. I have had Plec in the past but they tend to die on me. But i think it would be worth it over the summer to get another one to see how it gets on.

I have not tried an Algae control before so i think that may be worth a look. I will go to my local dealer tomorrow and get it sorted.

As for why the fish died i think it was white spot. I have got it before and it is the most annoying one to get tbh. However i have treated the water since then to make sure i killed it off.

I will do a 50% water change. I would like to move the tank anyway as i think i should try and move it further away from the window.

Wow still cant beleive there is so many fish tank owners. This forum really does have a bit of everything

Neon
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    Wow, forgot about this thread

Anyway would just like to emphasise on what Ferral said, get some Plec's. I have two in my tank, they are doing a good job of keeping it clear of algae, and they don't bother any of the other fish.

Thanks
    • Million's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX2/GB/SI LGA775 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb OCZ Octane SSD, 3Tb Seagate HDD, 250Gb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • xClio 700w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Mini (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable
    I'd recommend sailfin plecs - I had a similar problem and one of these did a good deal to help, plus it looked really cool. Also you could get some snails in there, they'd help, but they'd just do it slowly, like everyhting else a snail does...

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    I would recommend a couple of corydoras. Amazing little fish and hard as nails. imo under gravel filtration is better than a sponge kind of filter. Think about it. the whole bottom of the tank is the filter but with a sponge type its only that little area that filters the water.

algae + sun = green tank - moving it should help and give it a good clean every week. As has been said previously every keen fish keeper will have their own best way of doing things. I my self got rid of mine because they become to much work with me being in uni and stuff and what is with all the fishy talk recently?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information