Thread: Different holiday destination

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks

Different holiday destination

There have been a number of threads in the past asking for new and different holiday destinations. Well, as a result of my good fortune of working out here in Malaysia I've been able to look at some of the more exotic regions of the world and this weekend took a trip to the Taman Negara (National park). I realise that I am not talking about a cheap weekend away here. But read on anyway.

Taman Negara is believed to be the worlds oldest rainforest (130 million years old....give or take). The Malaysian govt, while wishing to maintain access to the general public, are at pains to maintain the integrity of the forest. Eco warriors, this is a must.

I took a day off to extend a long weekend. Saddled up with trekking pack and bivi bag. And headed into the wilds. There are 2 ways there. Either by boat up the Sungai Tembeling river or by road. It took me just under 3 hours to drive from Kuala Lumpur. The boat journey is really part of the adventure but you can take boat trips from the resort area. Or, like me, flag one down and make a deal with the boat owner as we found that we were still going to be in the jungle after dark due to a miscalculation of time over the ground. Then it was just a case of "yeah, drop me off at the corner here guv, ta, how much do I owe you?"

For the adventerous there is trekking and camping. The longest being a 9 day trek to Genung Tahan (a hill, a big one, I think the biggest in Malaysia), 55Km from the resort at Kuala Tahan which is guide led. Or you can 'enjoy' shorter treks of up to 8km. Which will take all day. Movement in the jungle by foot is a very slow affair. Not for the unfit either.

For the less adventerous there are short walks and boat trips from the resort where anything from a dorm to a 2 storey chalet are available for accomodation, though furnishing can be basic. The canopy walk through the tree tops is a must for either group. I kid you not when I say you will be on a narrow, swaying walkway 100 feet above the forest floor.

Taman Negara boasts wildlife from the lowly leech right up to wild elephant. There are also snakes, tiger, monkeys, countless bugs, birds and butterflies etc etc. The more exotic animals are only found much further out away from the busy resort area. If you go then you would be very lucky (or unlucky) to see such animals as tiger etc. Mainly because they are smart and avoid humans. Monkeys, wild pigs and monitor lizards aren't quite so shy. I guess cuz we don't try and turn them into rugs. There are also native Orang Asli tribal people still living in the jungle who are quite tolerant of big footed Europeans trundling around their habitat. Who will also happily sell local crafts to you.

Check out: http://www.taman-negara.com/
    For more details. As for me, well I'll be taking advantage of my location and taking a few more treks before I leave here. So if you want somewhere different then check it out.

Mossie repellent is a must
    Last edited by RVF500; 09-10-2005 at 05:31 PM.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thread Information