Thread: Patents

Thanks

Patents

Whether it be software, physical, intellectual etc, if you've got a question you'd like answered on patents, pose it here and I'll get back to you with an answer via my father. From a lawyers prospective, don't take this as advice etc just as an opinion etc. If you feel some gratitous right or wrong has been posed, don't go trolling etc, I don't want this to turn into a great debate thread on the rightness or wrongness of patents - just 'how to go about it' 'what can I do' etc...

I work in the industry and I know the arguments to and against patents. Keep these arguments out of the thread please.

Also, a piece of friendly advice, don't disclose any ideas you wish to be patented on this thread - or talk to anyone via PM etc as this negates the patent. If you are serious about a particular idea, are actually looking for a patent etc after asking questions then I'm happy to pass you along to someone who can look at the idea confidentially. If you're a hexus regular with a serious enquiry and not much cash, you might get a bit of free advice. No promises though :- )

And finally if you see the adverts on TV with 'ARE YOU AN INVENTOR?!!111' then treat them the same way as you would spam - they will charge you hundreds to thousands (bleed ya dry!) before telling you your invention sucks. A real patent agent will tell you it sucks before he takes your case (sometimes without even taking a fee...)
    Tim N

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Tim_N, how about you pay David a bit of cash for the advertising you are getting your dad for free then

No offence but i'm sure if anyone is serious enough to be getting to patenting something the last thing they might do is go and ask a question via PM to someone they don't even know. I'd say its worse than the TV adverts

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Patents - long, laborious process of infinite tedium. Right in the middle of one now, and expect it to take a few years to be granted
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Tim_N, how about you pay David a bit of cash for the advertising you are getting your dad for free then
    Ahh, but advertising would be actually naming him & the firm.

Tbh, they don't want any more clients, they've got more than enough, but if there is someone genuinely interested he's usually happy to help out. And when I say they've got enough, I'm not talking small businesses either...

Patents - long, laborious process of infinite tedium. Right in the middle of one now, and expect it to take a few years to be granted
    And some! My own evil and obscure patent has been going since before I left uni (CV exercise). About two years ago, still not granted yet!
    Tim N

Thanks
    the last thing they might do is go and ask a question via PM to someone they don't even know
    Actually, it's about the _first_ thing I'd expect someone to do... you're just thinking about your good self!

Most people haven't a clue about non-disclosure of patent information without an agreement between parties. I'm sure I'll get _someone_ who'll PM me with 'I want to do suchandsuch, has it been done before?' because they've not read my post properly.

I have to say though, hexus is very light on the ground when it comes to complete numbskulls, probably why I've remained here for so long!
    Tim N

Thanks
    So if we come up with an idea and put it on hexus does that mean no one can then go and
    patent it?

Thanks
    prior art. If it's written down and you can prove it was done before the patent was first conceived you can get it revoked.

My company is looking @ starting a non-patent database.
    Tim N

Thanks
    btw you can't patent that.
    Tim N

Thanks
    Alright then Tim, first questions- How much am I looking at money wise to get a patent on my invention? And do I have to get multiple patents to receive worldwide protection?

I'm long on ideas, short on money.....

Thanks
    Bump. Come on Tim

Thanks
    hehe - sorry, had a clients site to finish - been pulling a double all nighter! Will reply tonight after I've double checked by big post with my dad! Don't want to be telling any non-truths!
    Tim N

Thanks
    you sound 12

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    you sound 12
    cheers Russ, my ex would back you up 100%

I'd be sharing the competition address with you all on the site I've been working on, but the powers who be on hexus felt it'd be a little spam like, so I won't!

Anyway, the cost if you search and write the patent yourself will be £300. It's a lot of hard work and it'll be about two years before you'll get a yes or no. Sorry I've been too long, but I wanted to double check with my father about the costs, I'll write a more indepth review of patenting asap.
    Tim N

Thanks
    Meantime if you want to protect your ideas, stick them in a letter, seal it and post it to yourself. Leave the copy sealed and in a safe place. As soon as you see someone else patenting your idea, you can whip out the prior art - it'll be opened in legal proceedings. total cost, 1 stamp & some sealing wax.

Make sure they postmark it!

It's not 100% fool proof, but it'll give your case a little more bearing.
    Tim N

Thread Information