Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can air make a sound

Banned
    Thanks
    Wheres Austin when u need him

Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    The reason I asked is because energy is effectively created from mass.
    Being a chemist, I've never figured out where the loss in mass amount from... It's just not my field and even physical chemists don't really bother themselves with nuclear physics.

Back to your point, you are completely correct in quoting the equation (E=mc^2). However, you should know as well as anyone who can quote that famous equation that energy is not created from mass, but converted from mass...
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    Being a chemist, I've never figured out where the loss in mass amount from... It's just not my field and even physical chemists don't really bother themselves with nuclear physics.

Back to your point, you are completely correct in quoting the equation (E=mc^2). However, you should know as well as anyone who can quote that famous equation that energy is not created from mass, but converted from mass...

Whoops! Did I say created?
    Does that mean that mass is stored energy? Does that mean that light is just energy?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    Does that mean that mass is stored energy? Does that mean that light is just energy?
    AFAIK, it is not a case of 'matter is stored as energy' or visa versa. In a quantum mechanical world (which is what this is all based on), mass is energy and the reverse is also true. One is simply a particular manifestation of another. While all this is true in quantum scale, what is described in quantum scale doesn't translate to the macro world. (Since I'm not a physicist, I can't begin to tell you why this is not the case, but I think it is due to the unlikelihood of the collapse of the wave functions of macro objects...)

Your reference to ‘light is just energy’ is completely correct. I hope you’d cover the wave-particle duality of light - it can be described as electro-magnetic radiation (wave) as well as photons (particle). Again, as part of ground rules of quantum mechanics (Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle), you can’t accurately measure both the position and momentum of a particular particle - by increasing the accuracy of the measurement of one, you’d diminish the accuracy of the other, for amount of energy you deploy to ‘detect’ the particle will change it’s momentum or position. So if we can’t know both of these properties, how can we know if these particles are where we say they are? Well, that’s another one of the ground rules of quantum mechanics - Schrödinger’s Equation (or more commonly known as a ‘wave function’). The solutions to Schrödinger’s Equation give you the probability of finding a given particle in an area of space… I’m not going to dive any deeper here, for it is quickly approaching areas where I’m way out of my depth. There’re hundreds of very readable books (not text books) you can brush up on these interesting topics.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    AFAIK, it is not a case of 'matter is stored as energy' or visa versa. In a quantum mechanical world (which is what this is all based on), mass is energy and the reverse is also true. One is simply a particular manifestation of another. While all this is true in quantum scale, what is described in quantum scale doesn't translate to the macro world. (Since I'm not a physicist, I can't begin to tell you why this is not the case, but I think it is due to the unlikelihood of the collapse of the wave functions of macro objects...)

Your reference to ‘light is just energy’ is completely correct. I hope you’d cover the wave-particle duality of light - it can be described as electro-magnetic radiation (wave) as well as photons (particle). Again, as part of ground rules of quantum mechanics (Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle), you can’t accurately measure both the position and momentum of a particular particle - by increasing the accuracy of the measurement of one, you’d diminish the accuracy of the other, for amount of energy you deploy to ‘detect’ the particle will change it’s momentum or position. So if we can’t know both of these properties, how can we know if these particles are where we say they are? Well, that’s another one of the ground rules of quantum mechanics - Schrödinger’s Equation (or more commonly known as a ‘wave function’). The solutions to Schrödinger’s Equation give you the probability of finding a given particle in an area of space… I’m not going to dive any deeper here, for it is quickly approaching areas where I’m way out of my depth. There’re hundreds of very readable books (not text books) you can brush up on these interesting topics.
    I briefly did all those subjects in a-level physics, I was just testing my knowledge and that of others!
    Your knowledge of physics is similar to mine! It's been a few years since I did any of this!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/...o4_jul2003.pdf

scroll down to pages 12-13 for something relevant to this debate...