Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEXUS A-Level and University Thread 2006.

Thanks

HEXUS A-Level and University Thread 2006.

So its exam time of year, and I am sure a few of us are about to embark on our A-Level finials and head off to university after the summer break? I would like to know how any one else in the same position feels about the same thing. I seem the be bumbling through one day at a time the same as I do everything else, the big difference here I feel is when you are stretching yourself.

I'm currently doing A-Levels in Media, Computing and Economics from which I need to extract an A and two B's to get to my firm choice of uni Exeter, to study a politics and economics degree. My Insurance been Essex for Economics needing three B's. I generally try to avoid feeling apprehensive about things, and if it was not for the fact that I would really like to go to university I think I would be quite relaxed about the whole thing, given the wide range of alternatives to degrees today.

Reading the thread about College interviews reminded me of what a hard time I had deciding were I wanted to go and what I wanted to do, all be it stretched out over about 6 months.

As for A-Level exams, this year has gone very fast, and theres not much to do but get on with it I guess

What is any one else's past present or future experience of the University application experience? Did you get to your first choice? Where are what sort of Degrees are people on hexus doing at the moment? It would be nice to hear how other people are getting on, and if you are applying have you submitted your UCAS reply yet?

Good luck everyone who will be doing any exams over the next few months. A-Levels, GCSE or Degree.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Well, im doing the final year of my a-levels (a2s)

Must admit I agree with basically 100% of what trippledence said, especially the year flying by

I'm currently holding offers for UEA and Southampton to study Modern History & Politics, hoping I get the grades to go to UEA. My offers are quite close for both, ABB, even though I am predicted AAB, so hopefully ill be fine :/

The choice of which uni I wanted to go to I found really difficult from looking at them on paper or online, but once I visited I knew immediately I chose a mixed bag of subjects at A-level, including History Chemistry Psychology and Economics, though History is my real interest, the one I most enjoyed was Economics - wierd huh?

So echoing Trippledence, good luck all taking exams, regardless of what level

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Yep, will be doing my GCSE's in May, last one is in June. This year has gone very fast, and I just can't wait to get them over and done with, start college and get a car .

Things have been looking better for me since I sorted my sleeping disorder out anyway.

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks
    Yeah, good luck to everyone one with their exams this summer.

This year has definately flown right by, can't wait fo the summet and freshers weeks now

Doing my A2s in Maths, Physics and Eco. and have accepted offers from Imperial and Loughborough to do Mech/Auto Engineering.

Need to do well in my exams.... :S
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've got my AS exams, got all the Uni offers stuff to come...
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    • kidzer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • $motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TiB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Viewsonic
      • Internet:
      • ~3Mbps ADSL (TalkTalk Business)
    Hmm, no idea about this GCSE/AS Level jazz, but here in Sunny Scotland (seriously, it is sunny today! Edit: It *was* sunny) i'm sitting my Highers this year, and a few next year along with Advanced Higher Business Management/Studies and then going to RGU to do "Computer Network Management and Design" which should be cool.

Im a wee bitty nervous about my exams, i'm doing:

Chemistry
    Business Management
    Information Systems (Grr, hate it!)
    Maths (Higher over 2 years, cuz' I find maths really hard!)
    English (not doing higher anymore, doing Int 2 - cuz' english doesnt seem to wash with me at all)

So no Uni for me after this summer, but next summer - yay!

Really up for uni - sure its a uni just 20miles or so from me and i'll be staying at home, but it'll still be a fine change of routine instead of the rut im stuck in justnow!

best of luck to everyone!

Cheers,
    David

Edit: Regarding time flying by; it kinda has, in that im like "Bloody hell, exams again!" but its still been a hell of a drag for me. Next year should be better though
    "If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"
    - me, 2005

Thanks
    Grrr, school is just exams now - no rest. End of Year 11 - exams. January 2006. Exams. June 2006. Exams. January 2007. Exams. June 2007. Exams.

Still, hopefully I'll get some decent AS grades this year - Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Quite frankly, if you don't take Maths, you're really missing out. Especially with logs.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Computing
    Economics

...for me. I feel a bit of an idiot for saying exactly what everybody's already said three times, but this year has gone WAY too fast. It really doesn't feel like almost a year since I was panicking about sitting my AS exams. Of course, panicking even more, now; not only does my first choice require three As and two high grades in their entrance exams, but my insurance choice also requires three As. If I don't get them at least, I go into clearing. >.<

Thanks
    I know what you mean about it been a drag, since Christmas i have been doing mostly coursework, and its really been a pain in the ass. When two subjects are taking over and you want to do more of the other, but that all in the past now. And I am feeling alot more positive.

RavenNight, Make sure you stay on top if it, it comes along faster than you can imadgine. I am sure the otheres here will agree with me on that.

Thanks
    I've got:

Graphic Design
    English Lit
    Media

+ General Studies

In about 3 weeks I will be having three 5 hours exams across 3 days for graphics, which will be fairly taxing, then a couple of media, and a couple of english exams. As well as general studies, but that I'm not too bothered about. For my Uni offers I need to get a B in Media and a B in Graphics to go to Norwich School of Art and Design, and then I have a back up of Falmouth which is unconditional () - Both for BA(Hons) Graphic Design courses.

But like everyone has said, it's going quickly, and since Christmas it really has flown by... It only seems like yesterday I was writing my personal statement. Hehe. I still can't quite get my head around that in Septemeber I may be living in Norwich, and doing a degree.

Good luck to everyone with exams, and I hope you all get your Firm Uni choices

Thanks
    I was going through this last year, it was a treat; so many forms to fill in, and the nerves. Still, you've just got to knuckle down and keep it realistic - don't think you can ignore something unless you're confident that you'll get at least the grade you need.

I got offers from Bristol, Leeds, Lincoln and Hull. I only accepted Bristol's offer - I didn't really want to go anywhere else. Perhaps not the wisest decision but it did force my hand as far as performance demands were concerned.

Results day was a complete anti-climax. I got my acceptance letter from UCAS that morning so I didn't really have to bother going to collect my results :\

And now exams are just four weeks away for me, and the first is the worst Still, the work may be damn hard at times, but at least it's got a point to it.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohji
    In about 3 weeks I will be having three 5 hours exams across 3 days for graphics, which will be fairly taxing, then a couple of media, and a couple of english exams
    Nasty. The worst I've got is all of my Physics and Economics exams on the same day. I better be feeling well that day!
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    Nasty. The worst I've got is all of my Physics and Economics exams on the same day. I better be feeling well that day!
    They broke us in last year with one 5 hour exam, but 3!!

Heh, well, at least I'll actually enjoy it... and it's not in a hall or anything. 15 hours worth of photoshopping, I should make something decent

Thanks
    I have Economics in the morning then two Genral Studies exams in the afternoon.. So not really too bad. A few pints at lunch should make it a treat.

Thanks
    AS this year in history, ICT and english lit but A2 in maths. help

Thanks
    exams exams! I have got my GCSE's coming up fast!! I do graphics (horrribleeeee subject - stay awaayyyy) I didn't take IT for GCSE's as to me it was kind of a microsoft training course - word and acess!! Anyways best of luck for everyone doing exams!!! Ill be gritting my teeth in a few weeks too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information