Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mice / Rat Repellers

Spanked Member
    Thanks

Sonic Mice / Rat Repellers

Does anyone know if these sonic mice / rat repellers actually work?

Got a bit of a mice problem thats definately not getting any better.

Thanks
    Any reason for a sonic device as opposed to poison? I know its not the nicest thing to do but poison probably best bet, just watch out for other animals and small children .

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Well, you've already said its not the nicest thing to do - I dont even like harming wasps - plus if a sonic repeller works well, then I dont need to dispose of bodies and keep lacing poison around the place.

but since they're not cheap, Im wondering how effective they really are...

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Don't know about mice/rats but the ones we have in the garden for cats work reasonably well.

Thanks
    Yeah can see your point, but poison not that bad to use , you can get bait boxes which you just fill with poison pellets ,this attracts the mice, usually no bodies to dispose of ,unless you are unlucky ! You could always get the most natural mouse repellent , a cat !!!

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind....even tho I dont want a cat!

Looking at sites concerning sonic repellers, its touch and go it seems, but only have about a 2 month effetiveness at most before they start to adapt - even those that cycle frequencies - read stories where people see the mice gathering round the repellers in the end!

Think I might go for the humane mouse traps.....the ones they have to enter a tube and the door shuts behind them.

Been reading a few pages with people and their mice concerns, and some are hilarious :

http://littleredboat.co.uk/?p=386

http://jenny323.vox.com/library/posts/tags/mice/
    Last edited by ACiD303; 07-10-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    major problem with posion, you don't know where they are going to die.... this can lead to awful smell in the underdrawing.

Human traps filled with posion, these are surprisingly humain!

Good Old Mice traps, what i use at my parents. Plus i consider it my duty as a caring person too make sure that they are very powerful springs (swift) and try to only use them when i can hear, if i hear one go off, conferm its dead. (as in make sure it is). Thats the problem i have with traps, whilst i have no problem killing a mouse, tourturing one (slow painful death) is another matter altogether!

The sonic reppellers do work, for someone people, for others they don't, it simply pushes the problem around.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    Sorry but same could be said for "good old fashioned mousetraps" as my mum once found out, trap went off ok ,nice strong spring like you said ,only to find mouse caught by back leg . Sorry no nice way to kill a mouse,even a cat will have its fun.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    not really, if its a well designed one, baited with the smallest peice of chocolate, then if its all set up, well lubed (i recomened "elctrolube" for all spring like stuff) then it will not be able to get its mout to the bait.

problem comes if it clips it with its leg, or dosen't go for the bait. I do understand why my biotech housemate always insisted on the "humain" trap + poisen approach. Thou with the good old fassion design (but new all metal re-encarnation, much easyer to clean) i've yet to have on allive, that i know of, had some missfires that could of ingured one, but i don't think its likely. But its worth trying to be as humain as possible
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Human traps filled with posion, these are surprisingly humain!
    wasnt planning on filling them with poison, just a dab of peanut butter . . . and it would be set free. as far away as possible. allow nature to takes its course.

Good old mice traps dont seem to work for a lot of people, they go off but none catching any. Except my mate who just visited says he swears by them - and (i dont know how true this is) he leaves dead mice lying around the flat to serve as a warning. He reckons this is what someone in the block has already done so a big group of them have gone "ok, this isn't good, we'll find somewhere else". Its not cool to be typing away then a mouse poking its head round the monitor eyeing up ur stash of munchies.

Sorry but same could be said for "good old fashioned mousetraps" as my mum once found out, trap went off ok ,nice strong spring like you said ,only to find mouse caught by back leg .
    Yeah my mate said he "lost" one of the mousetraps once.....except he found it bout a week later against the wall - picked it up and there was a dead mouse hanging off it by its rear leg. The mouse was obviously trying to get through a hole but the trap was too big.

Ive managed to scare a couple back into a hole which Ive now jammed shut with one of my trainers. they've actually chewed through the side of my rucksack where I forgot had some sweets in it. man, what a nuisance.
    Last edited by ACiD303; 07-10-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks
    A good humane way to trap mice is to get hold of a wine carafe (paul masson used to do an ideal one) and use that as your trap.

Put the bait inside and prop the open end up. With some luck the mice go after the bait and then can't get any purchase on the glass inside to jump back out again.

If you do want to go down the poison route I've heard that Angel Delight mix is the best lure. But obviously watch out if there's kids or pets about.

Thanks
    We had a rat problem at where i work, we tried everything except the sonic mice the rat poison didn’t work we left the pack out 1 night by accident and the rats had been in and eaten the through the box and eaten about 500g of the stuff and was still alive 3 days later so that didn’t work.

We found that the best method was an air rifle or 22. Rifle if you had the time to wait for them to come out, not recommended indoors.
    Please write your complaint legibly in that box -->[].

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    A good humane way to trap mice is to get hold of a wine carafe (paul masson used to do an ideal one) and use that as your trap.

Put the bait inside and prop the open end up. With some luck the mice go after the bait and then can't get any purchase on the glass inside to jump back out again.
    Heard of a similar trap but with a big bucket and a staircase made with DVD boxes . . .

been reading and reading all day now, I think Im gonna be buying humane traps and a load of peppermint oil. Apparently most mice are allergic to it.

Bryce
    Thanks
    Wouldn't use poison as mice/rats will only end up rotting in your house, either use a humane trap and have fun catching and releasing them or a good old little nipper spring trap. The trick with spring traps is to lay them parallel to a wall. And if you want to be certain of a "clean kill" try boxing in the trap so the mouse can only approach trap from the baited trip end

Thanks
    I used the electric and ultrasonic repellers as well as live capture traps when we had a (comparatively minor) mouse problem the other winter, so that we wouldn't end up with dead mice rotting everywhere. I think the repellers can take a week or two to become effective as mice will only leave once any babies have fully grown, so if you have a major infestation you will want to be shot of it immediately and so maybe have to use poison.

Though the repellers did discourage them to some extent we would still find droppings one or two mornings a week, and 20% of a mouse problem is still a mouse problem! Ultimately it is necessary to work out how they are getting into the house and it can be quite difficult to outwit them - I had to remove the kitchen cupboards to find they had gnawed through the boxing off where the pipes from the bathroom upstairs disappear under the house. Find their hole and fill it with that expanding foam that comes in cans - apparently they never chew through this and between the foam and the repellers we have never had a mouse come in since :thumbup:

Thanks
    The question is do you want to be rid of the mice or not? if yes you need a combination of traps and poison. Try your chemist for rat/mice poison they have some good ones. From what i have been told there shouldn't be any smell.

Happy Eradication.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information