• Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)
    Cant really understand why u so pissed off…
    I am the one paying my tuition fees and if my lecturers are rubbish i have at least the right to say so.

And by uni i understand u mean university.

Thanks
    not angry, just amused. Don't mind me
    Last edited by ikonia; 10-10-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    It is Inevitable.....

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    I had a lecturer who was blind (well, 90%)......after the whole "should we feel bad about saying something about his blindness" everyone managed to get it sorted about his handwriting....on the blackboard!

He would start off fine, but about 1/4 of the way through, his equations would overlap each other, then his orientation would go that way of a ski slope! Whats worse, sometimes he wouldn't rub out whats there or turn the blackboard up....so he'd be writing over his own mess! No one had the heart to tell him.....

So anyway, after the appeal (which everyone felt guilty about) he moved onto slides which were done quite exquisitely.......except he'd present them upside down!

Poor guy, he knew his stuff by a long margin more than anyone else, absolutely brilliant . . . but technology wasn't quite what it was now (or the uni werent paying for it at least) for a feasible computer aided environment.

BEst thing about the lecture : feeding the dog - 'cept he had ears like a wolf and kept prompting us not to feed it!

Thanks
    mama sumae, I suggest you learn to respect your lecturers ability, just because they miss a step in a hello world program does not mean they are incompetant. Lecturing is not an easy thing to do, until you lecture a module yourself, you will never fully understand.

You may be a whiz at C++, but there are almost certainly people who arn't. The first step that has to be acheived is to rapidly bring everyone up to a suitable level, this is unfortunately boring for the know it alls, and a struggle for the village idiots, but it has to be done. As a lecturer you can't discard half the students because they havn't used C++ before - they are there to learn.

I can safely say that i know more than any of the students that i lecture (in the subject) but because i don't work frequently at a level suitable to first years, i sometimes forget things when I'm asked a question, I have to go back to first principles myself and derive the answer as opposed to just "knowing" which is what comes with frequent activity at that level - something you will need to do to pass your exam.

Thanks
    errrmm.... *BANG !!*

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank god all my lecturers are good, speak clearly and not blind
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Lurking since 06
    Thanks
    • Mama Sumae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B - deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2 duo 6300 O'c @ 3.1 Mhz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB XMS2 6400 C4 @ 890Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 GB /sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti oc - 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)
    Quote Originally Posted by pak000 View Post
    mama sumae, I suggest you learn to respect your lecturers ability, just because they miss a step in a hello world program does not mean they are incompetant. Lecturing is not an easy thing to do, until you lecture a module yourself, you will never fully understand.

You may be a whiz at C++, but there are almost certainly people who arn't. The first step that has to be acheived is to rapidly bring everyone up to a suitable level, this is unfortunately boring for the know it alls, and a struggle for the village idiots, but it has to be done. As a lecturer you can't discard half the students because they havn't used C++ before - they are there to learn.

I can safely say that i know more than any of the students that i lecture (in the subject) but because i don't work frequently at a level suitable to first years, i sometimes forget things when I'm asked a question, I have to go back to first principles myself and derive the answer as opposed to just "knowing" which is what comes with frequent activity at that level - something you will need to do to pass your exam.

I fully understand what you are saying it’s really no easy job to be a lecturer.

I would certainly avoid such responsibilities but you also have to agree that during your learning process you might have felt that some lecturers were failing you and your classmates.
    I do respect lecturers and I still maintain conctact with some of my previous ones, most of them very demanding but I always felt motivated by the help they always provided.

This particular lecturer was in charge of electronics last year, after several complaints of students followed by a high number of students repeating electronics exams (this on a electrical and electronics course) it seems the university decided to do something about it and moved him to programming. I remind you this is not school level and we are always requested high standards it’s only fair that we are provided with some decent orientation.

Still I apology if I was incorrect in my previous posts but they were just a way to release some frustration.

Thanks
    aye, I know, i remember from my days as a undergrad having crap lecturers that didn't seem to have a clue. Some people just arn't cut out for lecturing, its not easy and even if you know your subject, its difficult

Thanks
    YAY, im in a MATLAB tutorial!...

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    he may have struggled with some basic c++, but I bet he could type properly,

using the phrase "you" instead of "u" constantly and "through" instead of "thru"....

If your this mega coder, quit uni and get a job as its obviously all bellow you, or better still - you give the lecture.

It will be interesting when you start work and all the guys with more experience are laughing at you.
    Oh I agree with this, its funny seeing people straight out of Uni (having learned beforehand "and you know i knew it all but need qualifications *snort*")

Then they turn up to where I work and fall flat on their faces several times for a few months until they give up and the company moves them. Its really hard to find a good modest coder and one that is willing to learn from people around them. Some common mistakes are:

- Coding unsecure software despite being in a secure environment
    - Not listening to instructions fully and trying to improve the spec.
    - Wanting to be a know it all and tome of knowledge of everything computer related. (Best argument so far: 3 month graduate arguing with a computer techie of 15 years experience about Cisco switches ruining his work!)
    - Using other peoples code off the internet to save time.
    - Thinking their security clearance gives them a god given right to know everything about a project and suggest changes. (Best example: Changing a £250m project by the MoD to a different programming language because thats what most people use nowadays).

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    • sybrows's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.8+Corsair H50
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig Crucial XMS 3 DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1X2tb WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 670 FTW edition
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 500 Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 8100
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Iiyama LED LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 75MB
    Matlab.... cheap clobber but only good for a couple of washes iirc?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information