Thread: dvd players, yes, again :P

Thanks

dvd players, yes, again :P

sorry if this belong in one of the other forums but theres been a few threasds on thse in here so though her eis best

i need a dvd player before xmas for my dads present, the idea being to watach two towers again just before we goto see the rotk at cinema, and dvd being cheap (play.com) thought its time to get one

needs to be CHEAP with all the extras, like playing svcd (and non standard vcd), good picture quality, multiregion if posible (not that i need it, but why not )
    the problem is is that the tv is an OLD sharp 21" one, also have a crappy sony vcr, both have scart and ariel inputs, but how could i connect the dvd player?

looking to spend arund £50

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

Re: dvd players, yes, again :P

Originally posted by |SilentDeath|
    sorry if this belong in one of the other forums but theres been a few threasds on thse in here so though her eis best

i need a dvd player before xmas for my dads present, the idea being to watach two towers again just before we goto see the rotk at cinema, and dvd being cheap (play.com) thought its time to get one

needs to be CHEAP with all the extras, like playing svcd (and non standard vcd), good picture quality, multiregion if posible (not that i need it, but why not )
    the problem is is that the tv is an OLD sharp 21" one, also have a crappy sony vcr, both have scart and ariel inputs, but how could i connect the dvd player?

looking to spend arund £50
    http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp?...HDVD400&DB=622

Awesome player soes EVERYTHING and its tiny and silent

Have it delieverd to your local branch and go pickup only £50 or £3 pap i think

Thanks
    only 2 questions left then before i order one, how can i connect it to the ancient tv /vcr (yes, speakers are part of the tv aswell!!) and does it do progresive scan (i heard this as a good thing for image quality?)

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Originally posted by |SilentDeath|
    only 2 questions left then before i order one, how can i connect it to the ancient tv /vcr (yes, speakers are part of the tv aswell!!) and does it do progresive scan (i heard this as a good thing for image quality?)
    prog scan- no chance undera hundred i would have thought and unless you have the flash telly to match- pointless

I connect it through rgb scart (not suppiled) though theres av inputs. Coax (digi) for surround sound btw

Thanks
    hmm, this one any good?
    {HA 451} RONIN 807S DVD, CD, MP3, VCD, SVCD,CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R & DVD-RW,MP3 & JPEG, Kodak Picture CD (JPEG) player
    from http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acata...ift_Ideas.html
    think ill get the whs one thouhg as ppl have said its good

Thanks
    The prob with the one you just said is thats it's a ROM device.... so unless you want to all crowd around a PC and watch all your films like that then NP.

You can pick up a £50 LG with most the trimmings at almost any shop like Dixons, comet, etc. Multiregion usually comes in at the region of £110+ i'm affaid so you prob wont get any luck there!

All DVD players come with a SCART socket. If you have an AMP for a surround sound setup like i do, buy a SCART lead and plug it in there. If your not as 1337 as me .... Then SCART it into your TV.

SCART leads dont cost any more than £5 at the most and even then thats prob goin over the top.

Hope i've given you some insight here otherwise i've spent 20 minutes typing this out for nothing

You have been warned!!

Thanks
    the ronin one is further down the page, its not a rom drive

problem with scart is i have a vcr using it, how can i use scart between 3 devices? havent got amp for surround setup though...

Thanks
    Progressive scan will nly be of benefit if you are watching the picture on an LCD flat screen TV.

As far as connection is concerned, you can connect VCR via scart to the TV, and then connect the DVD player to the VCR via scart as well.

Alternativly, you can connect VCR to TV via the ariel lead, and connect DVD direct to TV via scart.

I would only assume that if you but a DVD paler, all connection methods will be detailed in the manual.

PjC
    [xp 2400 @ 133*13.5] [1Gb Twinmos DDR400 CL 2.5] [Abit NF7-s Rev 2.0] [Tagan 480W PSU] [2 x SATA Maxtor 120gb hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd] [Teac 4x Cdrw] [SonicFury S/C] [LG GSA-4082B DVD+/-RW] [Radeon 9600 np] [Zalman Al-Cu Flower - Arctic silver 3] [windows xp pro 2600 build] [3x 80mm case fans]

Thanks
    curries have one for £30! will be carp but will do!

Thanks
    Get a SCART multi plug. Plugs into the back of your TV and gives you 3 - 5 more slots depending on which size you buy!

You have been warned!!

Thread Information