Thread: Tips and advice for a Skiing Trip this Christmas

Thanks

Tips and advice for a Skiing Trip this Christmas

My sister and brother in law were just round and as you do out of the complete blue we figured let's go skiing!

Idealy, we'd like to go sometime during December. On or around Christmas for say 5-7 nights. Somewhere in Europe would be best and I was thinking perhaps Switzerland?

I've been skiing a couple of times with school back in the day, haven't been for years. My sister and brother in law are both none skiers. Having had a look around the web everything seems to be a maze. There's so much skiing to choose from, I really don't know where to start.

Can anybody offer any tips on locations, what we should be looking for, where we should check for bookings, snow guides etc etc?

Any help would be appreciated! As you can tell, we have completely no idea!

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks
    It really depends on what you want from the skiing holiday. Ive done a lot of skiing and a bit of ski racing in my time, we've just bought a place in Courcheval so I hope to do a lot more now and there are lots of things to look for.

If you are looking to really get stuck in and ski from 9-5 (or probably 4:30 at that time of the year), then come home and relax in the evening it doesnt make that much difference where you go. I recommend Champery (not Chambery) which is right next to Avoriaz and offers some really nice and easy skiing. Also the Trois Valees is lovely (best place in the world I reckon) but quite pricey.

If you want a lot more going out then Tignes can be quite good, as can Tignes. I have not been myself but for going out in the evening (and good skiing) then St. Anton is often recommended by people who have been.

Where do you want to stay? A hotel or a chalet? I can recommend some good Chalet companies but dont know many hotel chains other than the common ones.

Basically pick a resort and then chalet/hotel and work from there is the best bet. If you have any more information on where you might like to go then let me know and I can probably advise.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    Meribel / Mottaret is good for beginners, lots of easier slopes. It's where I learnt to ski. There are 2 quite good ski schools there.

I've been to Flaine once too, which is more "off the beaten track" but has some fantastic slopes

My 'rents have been to Tignes also, and really enjoyed it.

For cheaper accommodation, go for a self catering, or splash out on a chalet for easy living!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I certainly need to pick a resort to begin with. Skiing will be the main focus of the holiday, Skiing all day and chilling out in the evenings is fine by me. The thing I'm most unsure of is where are the best locations for snow around Christmas time? Is it actually a good time to go?

As for accomodation, I don't think we mind either hotel or chalet really. I was looking at chalet's but wondered if they're really worth it for just 3 people?

Whilst looking around yesterday I came across Zermatt, Switzerland. They say it has good snow around Christmas time? Can anybody confirm that, has anybody been there?

Thanks
    On or around Christmas is going to cost you an absolute PACKET!

Prices increase waaaaay beyond the normal 'peak season' increase from Chrimbo.

We looked at going to Lapland for three days the week before Christmas... over £5,000 for a family of four! For THREE days! :O

Mebbe look at early or late season instead, you'll save a huge wedge of cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks
    Would agree christmas is a busy/expensive time to avoid (the same is true of new years really).

The size of your party doesnt matter hugely in a chalet as I find it a really good chance to meet new people in the evening. Alternatively if you really just want to chill with a cold beer as you 3 then a hotel would probably suit you better. Chalets are more expensive but it is a great experience.

Skiing is ok in most places from mid december onwards. Im aiming to do 3-4weeks this year with my first week being the 9-16th december (in deux alpes - it is a 1000 person big cheap uni trip).

Thanks
    Ack, it sounds as though Christmas might not be such a good idea. There may also be a lack of good snow around that time too so maybe it is just best to wait.

I'm now thinking late January instead!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    On or around Christmas is going to cost you an absolute PACKET!

Prices increase waaaaay beyond the normal 'peak season' increase from Chrimbo.

We looked at going to Lapland for three days the week before Christmas... over £5,000 for a family of four! For THREE days! :O

Mebbe look at early or late season instead, you'll save a huge wedge of cash.
    lol i went to lapland last xmas same kinda thing for 4 days, what a joke. most depressing country i think in the whole world.

i think you would save alot of cash going in the new year parm, plus it wont be quite as hectic around airports and just ingeneral how hectic people are at xmas.

Large Member
    Thanks
    I went skiing at place called Poiana Brasov in Transylvania - best skiing holiday I ever went on, actually probably the best holiday i've ever been on. Romania is full of friendly people and it is very cheap, not to mention you'll be helping the economy of not exactly the richest nation on earth, which is a shame because it's a very nice place.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    I understand that Andorra's quite cheap for skiing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post
    I understand that Andorra's quite cheap for skiing.
    i have been to andorra 5 times now (snowboarding) and its probably the cheapest place you can go skiing and it aint half bad either i have had a great time every time i have gone!

PSN ID = leeglf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by explicitlyrics View Post
    Also the Trois Valees is lovely (best place in the world I reckon) but quite pricey.
    Courcheval, Meribel and Val Thorens maybe, but Les Menuires might still be the cheap and cheerful end? Dunno, I haven't been skiing since 1996- I've never had the money since, and I ended up marrying a woman with a dodgy knee who can't do it.

Still, my first ever skiing holiday to Les Menuires in 1993 was probably the best holiday I've ever been on (nothing to do with having my first kiss outside with nothing but the snow machines and mountains for company). The range of runs just in the Les Menuires/Val Thorens valley is sensational, and I daresay the other 300km+ in the other two valleys pass the time. One day I'll just go on my own, find a cheap place in Les Menuires, get a pass for the entire area, and have six days of piste bashing 10-5. I've never been into powder, or nadgery, mogully, icy black runs, just give me 10k of fast motorway red run and I'm in heaven.

Thread Information