• ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

Angry *** S T O P _ Flipping _ S P A M M I N G !!!! **

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! PLEASE STOP SPAMMING SO MUCH !! JUST SO YOU CAN GET 100 POSTS!!!! GRRRR

it's really crap reading SO many CRAP posts!!! with crap spam in them!!! just bide your time and post WORTHWHILE STUFF!

GRRRR !!!

The Limit on the For Sale forum is for YOUR OWN GOOD

It is to STOP YOU from getting ripped off by £150 or more like I did last month BEFORE the limit was in place!

users.hexus.net - IS ALSO for your own protection! I would recommend not dealing with anyone who does not have users.hexus.net feedback for items worth a lot of money!
    Last edited by Saracen; 14-08-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Updated 50 post limit to 100

herbalist
    Thanks
    i agree mate. i know i used to be a bit of a spam-junkie, but now it is annoying reading people's posts or rubbish just to get their counts up. listen to the man kiddies, stop posting spam and keep the forums fun. peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Spamming where tho Josh?. If there has to be spam here is the most likely place for it to occur and to be honest i don't mind the spam in here too much at all.

The only places i want to make sure spamming doesn't happen is in the important forums.

Its all well and good to say you want to stop spam. However what you want is a more pratical suggestion of where you want it stopped and how.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by TiG
    Spamming where tho Josh?.
    all over the place! loads of rubbish posts all over the place!! (eg software forums and others)

it's basically making the quality of the forums much CRAPPER!

Thanks
    Not as big an issue as your making out tbh m8. Endless posts pointing out the deluge of SPAM aren't helping this forum one little bit IMHO.

Rather than create another thread on SPAM , why not bring up an interesting discussion point that everyone can contribute to ?

Just my £0.02

Where'd my avator go?
    Thanks
    Indeed. I'm new to these parts, but I've not noticed much in the way of SPAM, or at least anything to warrent 4 exclamation marks, two underscores and 5 stars.

This is after all the General/Banter forum.

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by Maffu
    Indeed. I'm new to these parts, but I've not noticed much in the way of SPAM, or at least anything to warrent 4 exclamation marks, two underscores and 5 stars.

This is after all the General/Banter forum.
    I'm not specifically talking about the General Discussion forum!

sorry about the 4 exclamation marks, 2 underscores and 5 stars

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    What exactly is SPAM? You mean of course unsolicited advertising? Dont see much of that here. Is there a way to measure the usefulness of a post?
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    i think josh is talking about replies like LOL or to a thread, something that doesn't add anything to the discussion.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    This thread's a bit ironic. I think by making such a fuss about it you may be putting new members off posting incase they worry they're posting spam. Fair enough let the mods delete spammy posts, PM the spammer and possibly reset the post count. But I don't think hexus wants to give off the impression that it doesn't want anyone posting here.

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Originally posted by Slick
    This thread's a bit ironic. I think by making such a fuss about it you may be putting new members off posting incase they worry they're posting spam. Fair enough let the mods delete spammy posts, PM the spammer and possibly reset the post count. But I don't think hexus wants to give off the impression that it doesn't want anyone posting here.
    Sorry I'm just hoping that it will be a warning to those that think spamming LOL / type posts are okay.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    You will never be able to stop people spamming, unless you ban them. Spam isn't nice, a little is OK and bearable, its when it becomes silly that its bad.

lets just face it, not all of us are intellectuals with high quality posts to post!

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    well I had my post count set to 1 for "spamming" and none of my posts consisted of or lol

I allways like to add something to the thread in some way and my posts usually have a lot more to them than

I think your just making hexus.net look pretentious with this kind of thread, I can see your point about useless posts but Ive looked around these forums a fair bit in the last week and I havent seen anything like the spam your complaining about.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Skii
    Not as big an issue as your making out tbh m8. Endless posts pointing out the deluge of SPAM aren't helping this forum one little bit IMHO.

Rather than create another thread on SPAM , why not bring up an interesting discussion point that everyone can contribute to ?

Just my £0.02
    Endless posts?

There HAS been a lot of spam. Some of it has been deleted, which may be why you haven't noticed a lot, but there has been a lot.

Trouble is .... how do you deal with it?

If we just keep going around deleting posts, people get the hump with that, and as often as not, either post or PM/Mail asking why their posts were deleted. So several members of the mod team have, on several occasions, pointed it out and asked for it to stop. And, largely, been ignored.

So what is spam?

There is no hard and fast answer to that. A single "LOL" is probably spam, but normally won't attract much attention. If, however, you get 20 or 30 similar comments in a thread, it makes for very boring reading, and may well result in heavy pruning of the "spam".

We have also noticed a few instances of new members posting dozens of comments in a single day, almost all of which add nothing to the respective threads. As soon as they reach 50 posts, a thread or two appear in For Sale and the pointless posts stop.

THAT IS SPAMMING.

There have been 'endless' posts about spam because various members of the mod team, including myself, have tried to point out, gently, that it is not welcome - yet it continues. The alternative is that we start taking action over it. For instance, in the case of people spamming simply to get access to For Sale, we could lock them out of FOr Sale manually. Or perhaps we change the access rules to For Sale to require not only a certain number of posts, but also a minimum length of membership - say, 3 months. If we do that, as a reaction to the antisocial antics of a few, then it is the reasonable, respectful majority of new members that will pay the price by being denied access to a forum they otherwise could have accessed in a short period.

Spamming has reached unacceptable levels. We know this because we get the private complaints, and because a number of people have told us that this is why they no longer bother posting on, or even visiting, the forums. When spam gets to the point that it is driving decent members away, all because people are selfish enough to try to get round the rules, then it is time for something to be done.

But what?

We've tried asking and it hasn't worked. We really don't want to get heavy over it but it is increasingly looking like there is no alternative.

Thanks
    Well i have seen a little spam here and there and pointless threads in which talking about the wanted/sale forum. But this guy "skly77" is doing it still regardless of his deleted threads yesterday, i don't know if its on purpose or he doesn't know hes doing it but he has over 4 threads in "Computer Hardware and Overclocking" and with each one has a few lines of text.

When we answer his question we ask what hardware hes got etc, meaning he has to post more. He has gone from 9 posts to at least 40 within the hour with some 5 line reply's in each post.

Thanks
    Sorry Saracen - I exagerated, figure of speech old chap.

It seems that every time I look at general discussion and BANTER
    I see a post complaining about spam, frankly I 'm really bored of seeing them. Fine - delete the posts that don't contain enough words, but as far as I can see Hexus has created its own problems here, 100+ posts to get an Avatar, 50+ posts to get onto the For Sale forum - you can't honestly be suprised if that generates low quality posts can you ?

It was bad when Hexus re-started after the hack, really bad. Everyone raced to get back those special priveleges, and Hexus became an IRC chat room, I debated wether to re-register, others didn't bother. Frankly I think things have moved on and are improving. Some people needed a quiet word, some people didn't. Like others have pointed out, banter happens, and the odd 'LOL' in moderation is fine by me.

If there is a problem, I think we are compounding it.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information