Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boris Johnson is someone I disagree with

Registered+
    Thanks

Boris Johnson is someone I disagree with

Did anybody watch Question Time yesterday evening?

One of the topics of debate was about incitement to racial hatred/violence were there was some discussion from the panelists regarding what happend with Nick Griffin. Out of the blue Boris yelled out 'religious texts contain incitement to religious/racial hatred'. Everyone stopped and he was asked where and which religious texts contain such provocation. He started stuttering as he obviously didnt have a clue how to back up his statement. So instead when he was asked again and again he replied something like ' Slay the nonbelievers wherever they maybe' and when asked where he got that from, he still stuttering said the Qu'ran.

I have to say to those who watched the programme, this statement is absolutely false and without foundation. Nowhere in the Qu'ran does it suggest to carry out such actions and Boris should apologise and retract what he said.

I have heard people use that arguement before against Islam, but if you look at the section of where he has taken that from he has totaly twisted what it
    says. I just felt that as a muslim I have to speak out about what he said. Its not about being 'PC' becuase his statement is what causes tensions in the muslim community. I mean what kind of thing is that to say on TV?

I have emailed him and asked him to either backup his statement or apologise. If I had stayed quiet then it would make it seem as though he was telling the truth, but then now that I speak out, im going to be seen as one of those muslims who moans and complains all the time!

I just dont want the people that I live with, white, brown, black, jew, christian, athiest to have a wrong impression of my religion from someone who should know better.

And I know I shouldnt realy call him a **** but cant help it.

true786
    Last edited by Moby-Dick; 17-11-2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Wrong use of language! Sorry if I offended anyone

Thanks
    i totally agree mate, however i dont really agree with your use of language...its supposed to be a family forum mate i suggest edit it, or the mods will

you do raise a good point tho
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Registered+
    Thanks
    How do i edit the title? Sorry if I offended anyone with my use of language

Thanks
    you'll need to ask a mod to edit the title

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by true786 View Post
    How do i edit the title? Sorry if I offended anyone with my use of language
    yeh get a mod to do it mate

dont get me wrong im not offended at all - just dont want you getting in trouble from the mods
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever

Thanks
    Title edited.

Why should you demand an apology ? He's entitled to his opinion as much as you are entitled to yours.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    who was demanding an apology?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ok you miss understood my point, he referred to something that is allegedly stated in the Qu'ran, im not bothered about his opinion but he stated something as a fact which is not true. That is my point.

To be honest I dont care what he thinks, he's entitled to his opinion, I dont care what Nick Griffin thinks, hes entitled to his opinion, but when false accusations are made thats different.

If he cant back up his fact or statement then why shouldnt he apologise? Or atleast retract what he said?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    who was demanding an apology?
    agreed, i dont think an apology was in order. it was just a friendly tip off
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    NAS - 400GB

Thanks
    unless the phrase "i dont really agree" could be construed as having the implication, which i think it could.

however, this is off topic, and does not detract from the fact that boris johnson is an eejit!

Thanks
    Religious literature doesn't have any racial implications. The people who follow the religion do, unfortunately.

Why demand an apology? Why are you offended by things like this? Do you really care that much about what people think/say about you? You should be content with who/what you are no matter what anyone says. If you trawl through life worrying about things like that then you're causing yourself more stress than necessary. I used to study religion a lot, and it fascinates me greatly, but I don't believe in God. I sway more to agnosticism - but the people who tell me I'm wrong can have that opinion irrespective of what I am/believe.

This is exactly the kind of behaviour which leads to horrible things happening i.e. "someone said something bad about my religion, and now I'm going to take action".

My advice; just chill.

Thanks
    haha just read the second half of the OP, sorry Moby, i thought u were referring to johnny there when you spoke about demanding an apology!
    woops

Thanks
    I have emailed him and asked him to either backup his statement or apologise
    looks like a demand to me

As I personally understand it , the Qu'ran , like many other ancient texts is widely open to interpretation.

Put a song lyric into babel fish , translate it through a couple of languages then back into english again and you'll see my point.

I'm sure there are versions of the Bible that less than savoury messages in them.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick View Post
    looks like a demand to me

As I personally understand it , the Qu'ran , like many other ancient texts is widely open to interpretation.

Put a song lyric into babel fish , translate it through a couple of languages then back into english again and you'll see my point.

I'm sure there are versions of the Bible that less than savoury messages in them.
    ahhh ok - i misunderstood you, i thought you meant I demanded the apology for the use of language
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    NAS - 400GB

Registered+
    Thanks
    No, I dont go through my life worrying about what people think, im happy enough the way I am and with what I believe in. People can interpretate things what ever way they wish but when someone who is in a position of power or authority makes statements like he did then some people could assume what he is saying is correct. He didnt air his opinion, he was stating that what he said is in the Qu'ran, I am simply stating that it is not.

Anyways It was just something that I wanted to get off my chest, and your opinions and thoughts are appreciated

Thanks
    Yes, but on the other hand people of a particular religion will come out with false statements, but because they're a part of that religion people will let it pass. It's like saying Christians do everything for completely selfless reasons, it's obviously an inaccurate statement, but if a Christian says so, then it is true.

I don't think you can demand an apology from this person just because he said something which isn't true. The majority of religious people interpret their literature in a multitude of different ways, thus there is no truth. Should we persecute all of them too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information