Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For anyone who cares...

mmh
    Thanks

For anyone who cares...

Knoxvilles former band, and my current band (Monolith), have just recorded thier second EP, Its called Story Of Betrayal, and it has the following songs; This Curse, Story Of Betrayal and Pain and Misery...

It can be found on Myspace.

Let us know what you think

Cheers

Ste :: Monolith.

P.S. mindless bashing is not appreciated, however if you dont like it, and want to tell us that, PLEASE backup your comment with reasoning why you dont like it.
    : RFNX Ste | : stegough | www.stegough.com

Thanks
    whoo nice songs touring any time soon ?
    EVE - Online ( TiMeZeRo225, Proper Emo, Facter )
    World of Warcraft:
    Eu:The Shattar ( TiMeZeRo )
    Eu:Shattered halls (Pakapunch, Sigari, Eitu)
    CS:S - TiMeZeRo

mmh
    Thanks
    No tours lined up, yet.

Although we have the odd gig coming up, and hoping for a uni tour next year, so, fingers crossed

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    After just listening to Nargaroth, i don't personally think the titles reflect the musical style, but that's just my opinion. Good stuff generally, not really my type but good nonetheless. Good luck!

Thanks
    My sort of music ..but sorry dont like the "gruff" vocals, nothing personal that type of voice has just never done it for me !

mmh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htid View Post
    After just listening to Nargaroth, i don't personally think the titles reflect the musical style, but that's just my opinion. Good stuff generally, not really my type but good nonetheless. Good luck!
    Lol, Thanks, but one thing confused me from your post.

The song titles are relevant to the lyrical content, not to the style of music, this is, an should be the case within most music.

for example: Highway to hell - ACDC

if someone didnt know this song, it would more than likely be the case that they would think death metal, drop tuned nastyness.

but as it happens, the style in which the music for this is played is a very major, and somewhat "happy" style of music.

not what one would expect, IF judging the music, by the names

just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    Quote Originally Posted by mmh View Post
    Lol, Thanks, but one thing confused me from your post.

The song titles are relevant to the lyrical content, not to the style of music, this is, an should be the case within most music.

for example: Highway to hell - ACDC

if someone didnt know this song, it would more than likely be the case that they would think death metal, drop tuned nastyness.

but as it happens, the style in which the music for this is played is a very major, and somewhat "happy" style of music.

not what one would expect, IF judging the music, by the names

just my 2 cents.
    Exactly, so people will see your song titles and think they are death metal, and if they don't like death metal, may not buy the EP nah i'm just saying that for arguements sake, i know people would still buy the EP based of the musical style.

ANyway im not here to critisise so that's the end of that lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Knoxy left teh band? When, why, how and wtf?

Is Knoxy a freelance rawker now then, or has he got a new band?

mmh
    Thanks
    knox got kicked out in february. Im not gonna dwell on reasons why and how.

But he is now in his own band, and has creative control to do with what he wants, they are called hustler ( http://www.myspace.com/yougothustled ).

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Story of Betrayal is good...but the intro guitar is a taaaad unsure/uncertain. You could get away with that in the midst of a rockout, but not as an intro.
    However....bloody good track If you could re record that intro, OR cover the imperfections/uncertainty with a little light snare? you might get away with it.

This Curse is bloody excellent, (def not AC DC), but undertones of Motorhead In that one the drummer and the guitar tempo are slightly at odds between 35 seconds and the start of vocals, which is a pity, but it's practice I guess.

Pain and Misery has a really nice Bruce Dickinson feel to begin, and then feels Puddle of Mud. I like all three

Tbh guys, I've been and seen bands this year, nowhere NEAR as good as you, and that's with the excitement of live. You recordings on Myspace excite me just on a low bit rate, so you'd be awesome live.

You got local dudes to sort you a few gigs? You need to do a few venues where people hear what you're all about, cos if you don't get out now and get public, you won't move to the next level, the level that comes with the adrenal rush of a wild public outing

Good luck, you are very bloody exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

mmh
    Thanks
    thats an excellent writeup zak, much appreciated.

in reply to your last para, hopefully this cd, will now get us into the better venues, as we've been playing the toilet venues for the last 2 years, and we feel its time to be more selective about the gigs and try for support slots with people with crowds so we can get our music heard

glad you find us exciting

that post made my day

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by mmh View Post
    Knoxvilles former band, and my current band (Monolith), have just recorded thier second EP, Its called Story Of Betrayal, and it has the following songs; This Curse, Story Of Betrayal and Pain and Misery...

It can be found on Myspace.

Let us know what you think

Cheers

Ste :: Monolith.

P.S. mindless bashing is not appreciated, however if you dont like it, and want to tell us that, PLEASE backup your comment with reasoning why you dont like it.
    How does my name get mentioned first in a thread about Monolith?

Just listened to story and this curse, these recordings are obviously alot better quality than the first one I was involved in, sounds good man. The only problem I can see is some of the cheddar in the lyircs "stronger than titanium" and (you knew this was coming) "put it in a blender".

Since I started writing lyrics for Hustler I've really tried to steer clear of cheesier lyrics, still write em sometimes and dave loves em but I'm never all that comfortable with it because for me it lowers the status of a band for me even moreso than a duff drummer or a bad guitarist, exploder's debut album is a prime example of this, a good singer, great riffs and a good rhythm section backing it up but occaisionally a cheesy lyric finds its way into the mix and it spoils it slightly for me. I suppose its just because lyric's have a become a bigger part of music for me recently.

Other than that though the two tracks I've listened to sound damn good and I'd be proud to have em on my c.v.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Knoxy left teh band? When, why, how and wtf?

Is Knoxy a freelance rawker now then, or has he got a new band?
    I was booted in late february this year, there was a huge ruckus on here about it when I posted what had happened and mmh took exception to some of the things I'd said so I'm suprised you didn't know dude.

As for what I'm doing now, I'm now in Hustler where I play a much larger part in the band and have more freedom with the songwriting so I'm quite happy at that and there's no hard feelings as far as I'm concerned between me and Monolith.

Thanks
    enjoyed the EP - to a degree.

Well recorded. Enjoyed the songs.

However they felt like they where good songs "made" heavy. I think a big chunk of this is me getting older - but it felt like you wrote a good song then tuned down to make it heavy, too heavy for my current taste, however that said the songs still stood out as solid.

Don't like the vocalist, as someone mentioned in this thread the guy sounds good but over the top gruff, again this could be a side issue due to my earlier a comment about "forced heavy",

I'd love to hear these songs "rocked up" rather then "metal'd down"

Agree with knox a few cheesey lines, but they could easily be worked out.

Some good tracks. I was impressed.
    It is Inevitable.....

mmh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    How does my name get mentioned first in a thread about Monolith?
    Could be the fact ur far more known on these forums than me, and anyone who did remember us for having yourself in the band, and remembered the rukus that was on this forum may be interested to know where we're at now

Just listened to story and this curse, these recordings are obviously alot better quality than the first one I was involved in, sounds good man. The only problem I can see is some of the cheddar in the lyircs "stronger than titanium" and (you knew this was coming) "put it in a blender".
    haha, never did like the blender line did yer

heh, ah well, its there and it is a good lyric, which is also quite set in its wasys a part of the song. as for "stronger than titanium" well, that lyric was a metaphor forsomething strong, and hell i coulda said stronger than diamonds, but whatever i had said could have come off as cheesy, just needed something in the to describe the strength of "the curse".

Since I started writing lyrics for Hustler I've really tried to steer clear of cheesier lyrics, still write em sometimes and dave loves em but I'm never all that comfortable with it because for me it lowers the status of a band for me even moreso than a duff drummer or a bad guitarist, exploder's debut album is a prime example of this, a good singer, great riffs and a good rhythm section backing it up but occaisionally a cheesy lyric finds its way into the mix and it spoils it slightly for me. I suppose its just because lyric's have a become a bigger part of music for me recently.
    Something we realised writing the latest song "Dirty Rock" and i think any songs written from that point on are going to be from a more serious note, but until then, theres no real reason to go and change most songs we've written, but it is something we are going to be looking at.

Other than that though the two tracks I've listened to sound damn good and I'd be proud to have em on my c.v.
    Cheers dude

As for what I'm doing now, I'm now in Hustler where I play a much larger part in the band and have more freedom with the songwriting so I'm quite happy at that and there's no hard feelings as far as I'm concerned between me and Monolith.
    And the same goes from us

mmh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    enjoyed the EP - to a degree.

Well recorded. Enjoyed the songs.

However they felt like they where good songs "made" heavy. I think a big chunk of this is me getting older - but it felt like you wrote a good song then tuned down to make it heavy, too heavy for my current taste, however that said the songs still stood out as solid.

Don't like the vocalist, as someone mentioned in this thread the guy sounds good but over the top gruff, again this could be a side issue due to my earlier a comment about "forced heavy",

I'd love to hear these songs "rocked up" rather then "metal'd down"

Agree with knox a few cheesey lines, but they could easily be worked out.

Some good tracks. I was impressed.
    Hmm, i can see how you have come to the conclusion they were "made heavy" but i can assure you it wasnt intentional.

from the start we've tuned flat, and the songs have got heavier over time, just due to the natural progression of the band.

my voice also has got gruffer as we've gone along, and i find it difficult not to be so gruff with the style we're playing in.

Thanks for the comments

Thanks
    thanks for not taking them as negative.

Very surprised you're flat tuned.
    It is Inevitable.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information