Thread: Sleeping issues

Thanks

Sleeping issues

Afternoon yall!

Right I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, but its certainly beginning to run me down... :/

For the passed 2 weeks I have been waking up at 6am every day and not been able to get back to sleep, which is annoying because I do not need to get up until 8am (weekdays).

Even worse, this morning I woke up at about quarter to 5 and again couldn't get back to sleep! I've tried going to bed earlier, I've tried going later but nowt appears to be happening. Anyone else had something similar happen to them? how'd ya sort it?

Cheers!

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    What sort of physical exercise do you get? I find it has an enormous effect on my sleep.

You a town supporter btw?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Heya, nah Im a gooner

I could do a lot more exercise, thats for sure, I play 5-a-side occasionally but thats about it apart from shifting heavy stuff at work (IT Assistant).

I'm not doing any less than this time a month ago though.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Changed job recently? Had any big personal changes in your life? Split up/Got together with a woman? That sort of thing? Changed your diet at all? Changed your bed? Moved house?

I used to live a stones throw from Highbury (You could see the pitch from my gf's house window when she lived in Highbury). Anyway, that's the problem I reckon. You need to get your tractor on and start supporting the blues !
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    are u feeling at all depressed? that is one major factor in depression, waking up at stupid hours for nothing and not being able to go back to sleep..... What about the temperature in your room? do your pillows or duvet need changing? or your mattress. Do u wind down after a hard day at work? or do you take your worries with you to bed? all this kinda thing, makes a difference.

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Thanks
    Anyway, that's the problem I reckon. You need to get your tractor on and start supporting the blues !
    Haha, Im just fine thanks Your girlfriend was one lucky person!

are u feeling at all depressed
    Dunno about depressed, but there has been some real shoddy stuff going on with a mate, his ex, and myself, which hurt a fair bit... well alot, it could be that! At this point I'm guessing I have to take the erratic sleeping as it comes and hopefully get over it God I hope it hurries up!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    sleeping patterns fluctuate over periods of time, don't stress over it too much - thats gonna increase it a bit more. it'll settle down again. you'll see.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Well you should sleep tonight knowing Arsenal did their normal One - Nil thing! Up the Gunners!

Seems as if you have a lot on your mind mate and its just swimming around. You need a distraction. Joining a gym works, something to take your mind off things.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    This thread presents a potential problem which, as it happens, is under discussion at the moment. That problem is .... threads that offer medical advice.

While this issue is being discussed, can I ask everyone to please refrain from going down that route. General discussion about medical issues is, at least at the moment, fine, as is general discussion about sleep issues

BUT

until we resolve this, can people please refrain from offering any form of medical advice. Until we resolve this, one way or the other, the standard here HAS to be ..... if in doubt, consult a doctor.

I said this is a potential problem, and at the moment, it hasn't yet gone down the route of medical advice, but it could easily do so. If it does, we'll delete any such posts and close the thread so PLEASE don't do that.

Please help us out here - don't force us to close this.

Thanks
    Exercise. Lots of it.

Even when im not able to sleep due to other issues. Doing excessive amounts of exercise ive found can often force my body to shut down when hitting the pillow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks
    What time do you go to bed at? Maybe you have just simply had your eight hours plus of sleep that your body needs, so your brain just decides to wake up.

I would prefer your state of affairs to mine. I woke up at 4pm the other day. Although it my own fault really, he I am posting at 1:30am, which is still early for me.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

herbalist
    Thanks
    i have trouble sleeping normally. i cant get off to sleep till late, no matter how tired i am. i tend not to wake up early, but it still happens. i find plenty of fresh air, no cheese or sugary stuff about 2hrs before bed, and a special ciggarette if things get too bad do the trick of sendin me off to sleep and keeping me like that for quite a while. peace and sweet dreams.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    I largely agree with Punky (except about the cigarette), but would add not to drink tea or coffee, or most fizzy drinks, within the last couple of hours before bed. Go to bed at a relatively fixed time.

Also, set yourself a standard get-up time and get up then regardless of what time you got to sleep, how much sleep you got and how tired you are. Establish a routine and stick to it, no matter how unpleasant. Make sure you get out every day even if it's just for a walk, and don't do anything too mentally taxing for the last hour or so before bed. I mean, don't do anything that gets the brain working. Veg out for the last hour or so. For instance, DON'T start looking round bulletin boards in the last hour, because if you see threads that starts your mind working, that won't help.

You say you've got to getup at 8am weekdays, Raz, and that suggests you aren't in the position of not having to get up at specific hours, like some self-employed folk are. But you didn't mention weekends. I'd suggest not having too much of a lay-in. Try to get up at around the same time, and certainly don't lay in bed 'til midday.

I like to watch TV or listen to some music for an hour or so before bed, but if music, something gentle and relaxing (light classical, like choral or chamber music in my case) and not head-banging rock.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is :-

1) Establish a routine that the body can get used to
    2) Do enough physical stuff (exercise, etc) during the day to ensure you are physically tired
    3) Don't do anything mentally stimulating from mid-evening onwards.

And keep at it. It can take a while.

Beyond these sorts of basic lifestyle issues, I think it goes into the realms of medical advice, as there are things that can disrupt sleeping habits, not least of which is depression. If THAT is the case, I can only suggest that you see your doctor.

Thanks
    First off, thanks to everyone who replied! means alot

Weekends, I usually get up about half 9, but depending on how much I drink the night before, it can vary

Ill see how this week goes, I am doing alot of work in the warehouse, so hopefully I will be physically tired for a change! I'll also give my pre-bed cuppa a miss for a while :/

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply! Merry Christmas

Thanks
    physical work makes a big difference, Im a clinical insomniac, and if i spend a day without rigorous excersise, it takes about 3 hours to fall asleep, with or without any number of special cigarettes.

However if I go for an excercise session, and get proper knackered in the day, I find it only takes 1h30mins average to drop off to sleep. Also when I wake up, I feel much more "awake", than if I dont excercise.

Thats good going for me

and hopefully similar effects for you

Thread Information