Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to book a ski holiday!!

Thanks

Time to book a ski holiday!!

Calling all skiers!!!!!!!!!!

Had to wait until I got a job (security work for now until i get dates for some interviews) but have decided i'm going skiing next January. Found the best price i can £260 flights/hotel 7days with Neilson (val thorens resort) Will keep looking around for ski prices (got boots) Might go for the Salomon x wing tornado r/ Rossignol Bandit sc 80/ Rossignol r9x wc (unsure what ones yet) May book skis before I go/or book them out there.

Problem i have is finding a good ski pass deal! Now I think I have my pass from earlier this year could i just take that and pay for it there??? Or would it be best to book the ski pass before?

So if there are any skiers out there that can help????? I would appreciate it!!!

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Time to book a ski holiday!!

I went on a skiing holiday once, as soon as we got there, things started to go down hill rapidly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks

Ok that got a chuckle !

But anyone with some help please step in lol

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz under a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu 8.10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net Broadband Your Way Option 2

Are you a first time skiier or experienced?
    One word of warning; Val Thorens is Europe's highest ski resort, and in January it gets seriously cold.

Ski pass deals tend to be non-existent; you've just got to bite the bullet. It's often best to buy it yourself as resort reps have a tendency to spend all morning on your first day getting it and you can miss out on several days skiing. If you live in the Midlands, I suggest Lockwoods of Leamington Spa. The website is crap, but if you go down there they are pretty good at sorting you out, and they often have good deals on last season's stock.

Thanks

I'm an experienced skier (8 years or so now) Been to Val Thorens before In January and yes its not the warmest place lol I should be able to buy it direct from the tourist bored??? ( think i saw somewhere near the Les Olympiades Apartments.

edit- seems i can book my ski pass on-line from www.valthorens.com

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:

Just look for a kiosk saying "Forfaits remotees mechaniques"; they'll be all around town and you'll be sorted in no time.

7. Received thanks from:

AledJ (19-10-2008)

Thanks

Val Thorens is a bit of a monstrosity but 3 Vallees is nice enough. Just wait til you get there for lift passes, I went with Neilson last year and they had a rep set up in a bar on the first night sorting out liftpasses. If you arrive early enough you can always buy an extra half day and get straight out there. As has been said though, you just have to bite the bullet for a pass but at least the 3 Vallees will give you a massive area to ski.

Ski wise, try some twin tips! Don't bother pre-booking though, they'll just look at you blankly when you turn up clutching your bit of paper and you'll end up with the same treatment as everyone else.

9. Received thanks from:

AledJ (19-10-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norky View Post
    Val Thorens is a bit of a monstrosity but 3 Vallees is nice enough. Just wait til you get there for lift passes, I went with Neilson last year and they had a rep set up in a bar on the first night sorting out liftpasses. If you arrive early enough you can always buy an extra half day and get straight out there. As has been said though, you just have to bite the bullet for a pass but at least the 3 Vallees will give you a massive area to ski.

Ski wise, try some twin tips! Don't bother pre-booking though, they'll just look at you blankly when you turn up clutching your bit of paper and you'll end up with the same treatment as everyone else.
    I had the 3 Vallees pass at easter and tbh spent most of my time in Val Thorens (love the ski area) I did hire some Rossignol blast twin tips which were great fun. Was thinking of trying some all mountain ones, but saying that the twin tips were ace for blasting the park/piste.

So if i go with Neilson would you advice be to buy my ski pass from the rep when i get there or go to the ski pass officer?

My flight lands at 09:20 in Grenoble (i presume there's transfers included in the price) So I will defiantly be out for an hour or two.

edit: seems i will have to call Neilson as there's no space left in the hotel Tried some other on there too!
    Last edited by AledJ; 19-10-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

If you're there that early I'd get your half day ticket from the office then try get your week ticket from the rep in the evening. You'll pay the same and I'm sure the rep will get a few bob from it which is nice. All mt twin tips are ace, the Salomons are nearly all foam core though so a hire pair will be awfully noodly unless they're new-ish

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:

www.snowcoach.com
    Keep an eye on their late availability deals; the prices really drop, and by going by coach you get an extra two days' skiing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    www.snowcoach.com
    Keep an eye on their late availability deals; the prices really drop, and by going by coach you get an extra two days' skiing.
    Extra 2 days you say?? Great

Thanks

Found out why I could not go all the way through the Neilson booking form.....................because i'm travelling there on my own!! Now that pisses me off!!!

If I went with someone else then no problem lol grgrgrgrgrg

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

Your going skiing by yourself? Why not see if a few friends can come and keep you company? Far more enjoyable with friends about, plus you can race to the bottom of the slopes

Thanks

I know two friends that will be working out there when I go!! Can't get any others to come at that time (there either working or just don't have the money)
    Last edited by AledJ; 20-10-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks

Been skiing for 22 years, sometimes more than once a year....am the proverbial "plateau" skier, learning as much each year as you forgot the previous year.....until I ditched my bought skis 2 years ago and hired some top of the range skis.....it totally transformed my skiing. Now, I am an overwight unfit 52 year old, but these skis made me look like an expert.

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/radical-...skis-race.html

I never felt comfortable booking skis in advance becuase I wanted a specific make & model. Lift passes can be booked in advance on the web, through your holiday company or in the resort....I have done it all and nowadays it makes little or no difference (years ago holiday comapnies would fleece you on teh exchange rate).

Three valleys is the best skiing place in the world IMHO. Last year stayed at the edge of the piste in Reberty (just down from Val T). Went to North America once and got bored very quickly. In France you have this, L'espace Killy and Paradski all simply wonderful.

Going to leave it to last minute again this year....should be loads of deals around and have only missed out one year by booking very late. Have done the Snowcoach which was great for the extra two days but b****y awful for the trip.

Just cant wait now
    Last edited by Clingy; 20-10-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Missed the link to skis
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Registered+
    Thanks

Like Clingy, I'm a seasoned skier of 20 years plus, and I can relate to the "plateau" status!

I wouldn't buy my own skis though, for several reasons. Transport: pain in the backside, and some carriers charge extra. Damage: get bad conditions and you could completely wreck a set in a week. Maintenance: you pay for the skis, probably carriage, then another £20-30 when you get back to have them serviced. Not viable for me, but if you're going several times a year then maybe. You can pretty much hire top of the range skis now anyway if you want, insured etc. Get some parabolic / carving skis and you literally cannot fall off. Guaranteed. Def. get your own boots if you can though.

Val Thorens is damned high so it will be cold. That said, Europe is so unreliable for snow, you are getting some sort of reassurance with the glacier and height. 3 Valleys is superb, although I've only stayed in Courcheval and it takes a long ski to get to Val Thorens. More night life at Courcheval or even Meribel if that's what you like.

I'd disagree that Europe is the best place to ski in the world. Unfortunately, I had many bad experiences with both weather, and worse, the local service (lessons etc.) in Europe, which drive me to try Canada and the US. Never went back to Europe until forced to (by economics and a mate living in France).

Canada is sheer bliss. US is great (despite the Americans!). Banff = heaven. Got the best deal ever there about 10 years ago, £283 for 11 nights in Banff including flight & transfer! But anyway, save that for another year.

That said, any skiing is better than no skiing, which is what I'm faced with this year (again) due to recent family additions.... so make the best of it you lucky git!

I love flying into Grenoble - it's so close to the mountains. Although... if you're really flash / minted, you can get a flight into Courcheval airport - right on the mountainside! It's worth seeing the planes land and take off on the tiny short runway, which is actually above the highest village in the valley!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information