View Poll Results: Moving from windows...

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

7 18.42%
  • Against

11 28.95%
  • Depends on the situation

19 50.00%
  • Not sure

1 2.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from Windows, for or against?

Thanks
    • frumpet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel (Apple Macbook)
      • CPU:
      • T7200 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
      • Memory:
      • 1.5Gb DDR2 667Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 80Gb + 180Gb combined USB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated Intel
      • Case:
      • Macbook
      • Monitor(s):
      • 13.1" + 19" Hyundai N91W
    I've heard good things about Ubuntu. So if your looking into Linux I'd possibly give that a try.

It's impossible to escape Windows though. I've just got a Macbook, OS X is fantastic but I still need XP. Thank god for parallels is all I can say!

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line
    Are you using Boot Camp, how good is the driver support these days?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alsenior View Post
    when was the last time you or your friend used Linux i installed debian a few weeks ago on a old p4 e-machine and everything even the smartarray 431 worked out of the box and was installed in a couple of hours (was doing a net install) the whole linux world is moving towards driver unification anyway and alot of programs are standardized now

if your are going to be on the Hexus forums think before you spew crap same to you 99flake if it does not work you are doing something wrong
    Way to look down on someone just because you don't like their opinion! Sorry but my post was accurate to my experiences with Linux and therefore I have every bit as much right to post about them here as you.

The last time I used Linux was about 3 months ago, and I used it just about every day for a year and a half leading up to that point, so I think I stand in a good enough position to say it's not nearly as good as the fanboys make out. It has been "moving towards driver unification" for years. At the end of the day it's free and they won't ever have the control over the contributors that you get in a single large corporation, or the support should it all go wrong.

It's a good thing for people who like hacking away at their PC, writing programs and playing with other people's contributions but for general PC use I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over Windows.

By the way, the "crap" that I "spewed" was a run down of events that actually happened multiple times to the PC, ok I can't remember the names of the drivers, but this PC was under the command of a person who runs a school-wide Linux network.

I use XP and I have as long as it has been out, it is stable, it runs my games, videos, music, internet as and when I want them. I can use Linux and I have, and I don't see the attraction. My PC does what I want when I want and I don't hit these problems, have to type some obscure text in some file I didn't know about before to change screen res, or anything I encountered in Linux. So my advice to a Windows user was, and still is, stick with it, unless Linux is something you're REALLY keen on to begin with, my bets are you'll be back in Windows again in a couple of weeks.

Edit: oh yeah, fyi if you're interested it was mainly Ubuntu in that time, with Gnome or occasionally KDE. I even gave it a go at work for a while to see if we would consider supporting Linux, and was the only person interested in trying, even had to convince my boss to give me the time to look into it.
    Last edited by chicken; 30-01-2007 at 09:13 PM.
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!!

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    Way to look down on someone just because you don't like their opinion! Sorry but my post was accurate to my experiences with Linux and therefore I have every bit as much right to post about them here as you.
    Ok they were your experiences. the way I read it was that you were trying to pass them off as a fact

have to type some obscure text in some file I didn't know about before to change screen res
    when was the last time you went to desktop -> preferences -> screen resolution

my bets are you'll be back in Windows again in a couple of weeks.
    i type this on a windows machine i also have the Linux box on a separate computer and monitor next to me.but i don't expect you to know that

sure Linux has it's problems but at least it is not brain damaged like windows.yes Microsoft have taken great strides with windows but to me Linux is just better for the jobs i require it to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    alsenior,

I'll place a bet your using ubuntu as your linux install,

not all distributions can go desktop -> preferences -> screen resolution

Lots of distros have strong/weak points for each user, so for a user to migrate, its has to be acceptable for the user in question.

The fact that you still have a windows machine suggests it can't do everything you want it to do, or you find windows better for some task.

This may seem strange me making plus signs for windows, but the truth is what suites your needs best in the long run, and its judged on an individual basis and skill level for the user.

There seems to have been little dicussion on swapping to mac, possibly because this will require a hardware change too
    It is Inevitable.....

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I've used BSD & Linux almost as long as Windows & use them for different things. I DO object strongly to windows pricing, but as an OS XP works perfectly fine for me, as does SuSE & FreeBSD.
    As a die-hard gamer & design engineer the use of windows is unavoidable & prettymuch unproblematical on a day-to-day basis, but for everything else, Linux or BSD does the job nicely. Horses for courses.

/10p worth
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    alsenior,

I'll place a bet your using ubuntu as your linux install,

not all distributions can go desktop -> preferences -> screen resolution
    im using Debian etch rc2 that path is pretty much standard in gnome now .

there are a few things i can't do on Linux that i can on windows like office macro's and windows only games neither are the fault of Linux developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    exactly, and thats the point I'm trying to make.

What if he chooses a distro that doesn't have gnome, what if his hardware has 3rd part drivers, what if his main use is office macros, what if he can't be bothered tinkering to get fussy things like some bluetooth dongles working, or wireless cards with ndis wrapper ?etc etc.

It very much depends on the users wants and needs and abilities/time scales with chosen OS.

Asking people in here "should I change" and people saying "works great for me" or "sucks for me" has no point really, as the guy who said "works great for me" could be alan cox using fully supported hardware, and the guy who said "sucks for me" could be a 10 year old kid on his first computer with all the strange hardware his dad could find, and who wants to play nothing but games.

Its all down to the individual, points like

"no games support"
    "specific hardware issues - here is a list of common hardware that has a problem"
    "OpenOffice has limited VBA support"
    that sort of thing may help the user make his mind up but "linux is dead easy" and "I swapped and it couldn't be better" or "I wouldn't swap if my life depended on it" don't really do anything for that users situation.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    if your are going to be on the Hexus forums think before you spew crap same to you 99flake if it does not work you are doing something wrong
    Actually if you read my post more carefully I do add that he is the only person I have seen set it up and therefore due to all the problems he has I feel he maybe to blame! Read before flaming me please.

Thanks
    if there is a brick coming thu the afformentioned window then id move.

I used a couple linux distros and while i was impressed with some, others were a little half baked and awkward. get a spare hard drive and duel boot and see how u get on if after a few weeks u can do everything u want without too much hassle then your in business

Permanently confused

Thanks
    when was the last time you went to desktop -> preferences -> screen resolution
    I don't think I explained it properly, the options simply weren't there on the menu until you dug up this text file and told it what the Vert/Horiz max rates were of your monitor. The friend involved was keen to point out that this doesn't matter as the information is on the back of every monitor. Every monitor but the one we were using apparently... It's this kind of denial that there was a problem that's perhaps made me a bit skeptical of people's claims how great Linux is.
    Last edited by chicken; 31-01-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information