Thread: Blimey, aren't Pipex proactive (this happened to anyone?)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ChristopherW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-K8NE (nForce 4)
      • CPU:
      • Sempron 3000+ :( currently in the upgrade process!
      • Memory:
      • Crucial DDR2, 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • too much to count! approx. 1.75TB + a fileserver with 2TB (and more coming)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon X1600XT (PCIe)
      • PSU:
      • Something or other, no-nonsense solid PSU @ ~450w
      • Case:
      • Hand-me-down from my mate :D
      • Monitor(s):
      • primary: Samsung Syncmaster 940BW (19", 1440x900), secondary: Iiyama ProLite E430S, (17", 1280x1024)
      • Internet:
      • xTelewest XL (20Mb, when it feels like it)

Blimey, aren't Pipex proactive (this happened to anyone?)

I just had a phone call from someone at Pipex asking me whether I was interested in getting broadband from them - shut him up very quickly when I told him what ISP I'm with (Be*, getting close to 18mb... Well, I only get 9 cause of my crap phoneline, but one of my mates who lives up the road closer to the exchange gets 18mb )... Reason they had my number is because I'd put it in on a checker (as I do every so often) and didn't see the "tick this box if you do NOT wish to be contacted in the future regarding our services".

I'm always putting my phone number into ADSL checkers and the like, cause I'm always keeping my eye on what other ISPs are offering I think I might be a little more cautious about which checkers I use now - this is the first time I've ever been rung several days later after just making an automated enquiry! This happened to anybody else? I was mildly annoyed but didn't take it out on the bloke, he's obviously just doing his job, I always thought if you wanted a service or product you contacted the company, not the other way round? I'd only read of one other case where a woman (in the US) was rung out of the blue by a company saying that she'd been on one of their sites recently and was she interested, but they'd somehow mapped her telephone number to her geographic data because apparently she'd not put any personal details into the company's web site before they called her. Still a bit of a surprise, though!

I'm also somewhat of the opinion that Pipex needs to put more effort into improving their core network instead of garnering new customers to up their already-suffering contention ratios :/
    I like ellipses...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherW View Post
    I'm also somewhat of the opinion that Pipex needs to put more effort into improving their core network instead of garnering new customers to up their already-suffering contention ratios :/
    I'd have to agree there. I used to be a big fan of Pipex but over the last year or so they have been sliding in quality. We've been through enough trouble trying to shift our account after 2 years to another house. They still haven't refunded the excess we had to pay to do it, but they still haven't asked for any money either. When they get their arse into gear though it's probably going to get a bit messy...

They need to make sure their customers are alright before chasing after new ones, and I mean that for their finances too, not just our welfare! Where I would tell people about them in the past, I would tell people to avoid them now.
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!!

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB
    I signed up to pipex homecall in august (spur of the moment thing) after being tempted by 6meg broadband & free phonecalls.
    It can reach that speed... usually when I'm in work and don't have access to it. After about 7pm it crawls (anything down to 100k.

I can just about use Live (and very luck if I can sign into X-Fire after 7).
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Who the $%£# told you you could eat my cookies?! Oobie-'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    I'd have to agree there. I used to be a big fan of Pipex but over the last year or so they have been sliding in quality. We've been through enough trouble trying to shift our account after 2 years to another house. They still haven't refunded the excess we had to pay to do it, but they still haven't asked for any money either. When they get their arse into gear though it's probably going to get a bit messy...

They need to make sure their customers are alright before chasing after new ones, and I mean that for their finances too, not just our welfare! Where I would tell people about them in the past, I would tell people to avoid them now.
    I too tell people to avoid them, with there silly technical support, and random high pinging, when you do lose a connection (thank god it rarely happens) you can be down for a few days, not hours! Its been perfect since december/beginning of jan, no random dc's. I have a pretty good contention ratio, always get sub 25 pings on CS no matter what time it is. Only problem is the retards wont let you simply upgrade your line without you renewing your contract, even though we have been with them for over 3 years......I hate 1mb.
    We will be going to be too Christopher and will only be getting about 8-9mb cause we live 2.4km away from the exchange. When I mapped it out, its like 800metres in a straight line. Go figure.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    After reading this I'm glad I told someone to avoid Pipex the other day.

They used to have some of the best dial up service a few years ago.

Thread Information