Thread: TFT for Cad/Design usage?

Thanks

Question TFT for Cad/Design usage?

Where I work we are trying to swicth the designers to using tft's instead of crt's.

Now we've just tried an AOC 19" tft, and the 2 main complaints from the users have been that the width of the screen is an issue, and that there is a decent amount of ghosting of the image when they rotate the models that they work on.

Now I initially used the DVI connection and then switched to vga. I found that this reduced the ghosting but there was still an amount that was too much for the users. The AOC 19" is reported as a 25ms response.

So my 2 questions are this, have I done everything I can to reduce the ghosting? And secondly what other tft's (minimum of 19") would you recommend that would do a better job than the AOC does?

Any info you guys can give would be most useful, cuz quite frankly I'm fed up of having to move those stupid 21" crts it doesn't matter whether its VGa or DVI connection so long as it does the job properly.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    Well with the graphics and design work I do i would never even think about going tft over the Sony crt 24'' monitors we use, due to colour/shading and ghosting problems

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by leon
    Where I work we are trying to swicth the designers to using tft's instead of crt's.
    Any info you guys can give would be most useful, cuz quite frankly I'm fed up of having to move those stupid 21" crts it doesn't matter whether its VGa or DVI connection so long as it does the job properly.

Sorry, mate but TFTs are entirely the WRONG choice for that sort of work. I don't like hoiking the 21" Trinitrons we use in our Design dept either (I work for a construction and civil engineering group and we have some architects working for us using stuff like Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD Architectural Desktop and 3D Studio), but there's no way I'd try to make them switch to TFTs. They're OK for people working with spreadsheets and stuff like that, but for anything involving that sort of modelling...no. No way. If the weight of the CRTs is an issue, get someone to help you move them.

Thanks
    I'm unfortunatley not in the position of trying to make them use tft's over the crt's they have. Its not my call on this. I'm more than capable of moving the kit around for them.

Its more a matter of the management seeming intent on them having tft's (I dont know the motivation behind it). Ultimatley I'm with you, while I'm not a designer I understand the needs these users have.

Thanks for the input so far. I had a bad feeling that that would be the opinion.

So in an attempt to sway the management can anyone recommend me some 21" CRT's that are as slim (depth wise) as possible?
    Last edited by leon; 16-01-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    If you want good 19" TFTs then try the Samsung 191T (there might even be a replacement model out for it).

You might also want to check out LG and Hitachi's offerings.

Thanks
    Right, I could do with some quotes and job-titles from prof. people in the areas of graphics design/prepress publishing/cad users about the fact that CRTs kick LCDs into touch for purposes listed. If people could PM me with an official sounding job title I'd be most grateful.... uni project and need to justify to my supervisor why I'm going CRT yet everyone else is choosing LCD.

Thanks
    I think it is sensible to take account how serious you are with you design/cad work and your budget. What ever people may say crts provide better image quality than tfts, just look around any design agency to see this. In a professional enviroment colour quality is essential.

On the otherhand a design student like yourself doesn't need that exact colour replication unless you are doing professional print work where it is needed. Hi-end tfts cost considerably more than the crt counterparts but have lower resolutions and the colour quality may not be as high as crt monitors. Even with these disadvantages the portability, and increased deskspace are advantagous. Ghosting isn't really a major issue if you are doing design work anyway. A good crt monitor will be significantly cheaper than a good tft.

Recommended CRTs - Sony F520 and FW900, the Lacie and Mitsubishi range.
    Hi-end Tfts (But are expensive) - Apple Cinema Displays, Lacie Photon.

Hope it helps.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    in the design studio every work space has a Sony FW900, we also have a Lacie ElectronBlue 22'' with colour matching componant to use with all the pantone books.

the only tft is for the servers

Thanks
    Thanks very much for the feedback again everyone. I'm just hoping that I can talk the management around and get this whole thing sorted.

Plus I can always try to wrangle the 19" tft for my desk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scupa
    in the design studio every work space has a Sony FW900,
    They are really nice monitors.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    as long as u dont have to move them around. basically x2 A4 sheets up on the screen full size great for our dtp

Thread Information