Thread: Changing a Rad 9700 Pro

Thanks

Changing a Rad 9700 Pro

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro at the minute in my Shuttle SB61G2 system, but I'm also running Linux too and have had 'orrible problems getting the ATI drivers installed, so I'm gonna flog the Rad and replace it with an Nvidia-based card.

Now I'm not into this petty ATI vs Nvidia game some people like to play. All I'm interested in is a Linux and Windows compatible card that will play the occasional UT or HL type game, good 2D visuals for Word processing and internet use.

I have been looking at the 5600 series cards - I dont need the power or expense of the higher end cards - seems to be about the middle-of-the-range and OK for me.

One other question - the 5600 cards have either 128 or 256 mb ram - does this really make that much difference?

Any comments?

Zeb
    Last edited by zebedee; 19-01-2004 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added a question.

Thanks
    no difference - in fact the 128MB 5600's are often faster as the memory is quicker on board - opt for 128MB for 5600, in short.

I have a friend who is very happy with his TI4800 for running linux (Redhat 9 + others) - but seeing as the driver is integrated for FX 5xxx as well I should imagine they would run fine also.

Thread Information