• NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    i have a 15" tft, which I spent £400 on, 18 months ago

and it rocks. i use it for all tasks (lots of media, lots of gaming), and really don't notice ANYTHING wrong with, say, ghosting (which only really applies to passive matrix laptops from the mid 90s) or or blurring (which applies to crappy packard bell screens runnign through VGA)

worth noting is that response times are a fairly useless value - e.g. iiyama usa say 25msec for a screen iiyama uk say 16msec for.

just get a good screen from a good brand & you won't look back (i.e. try the iiyama prolite e431s)

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Get a LaCie ElectronBlue if you can afford it, they are a professional Graphics dessigners monitor, I have one at home and it is a beaut. I have a very high quality Philips 19" TFT here at work and it is still crap compared to the worst CRT I have had, anyone who claims that TFT is better is defending the price they have paid like was already mentioned.
    Prices might be high on the Lacie but if you can afford it, it is one of the best, is basically a rebadged Sony Trinitron, masking lines are hardly visible but present.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10037
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Better in all areas? Maybe not just yet, but certain things are better, and the others are comparable, tft tech is getting better all the time, crt isn't, it's a dying technology.

Just because that philips monitor wasn't much cop, doesn't mean *all* tft's are immediately inferior, hell I've got a rather expensive 19" crt in from of me at the minute, and my mum's cheapo lg tft knocks the spots off it in terms of brightness and contrast.

"anyone who claims that TFT is better is defending the price they have paid like was already mentioned" - nice sweeping statement there, I don't own a tft at all, yet I'm not so narrow minded that I can't see the advantages and disadvantages in both, and believe me, the list of disadvantages on a tft monitor are getting shorter and shorter all the time.

The only real disadvantages of the latest panels now are 1) cost, and 2) resolution.
    With crts - 1) deskspace, 2) weight, 3) brightness and contrast levels, and those aren't things you can change on a crt, the cost and resolution of tft panels can, and is being tackled.
    Last edited by Stoo; 27-01-2004 at 01:45 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    We will agree to disagree, but the mainstream argument is on my side, I am not narrow minded when it comes to hardware but I am yet to be convinced that a TFT can be created which looks as good as a CRT. If you want a small footprint on your desk then in my opinion that is a good point but that does not take away from the fact that for this advantage you are losing picture quality advantages/disadvantages. You may like them but be a little more objective yourself rather than assuming that the space advantage ( which in my opinion is the only advantage) outweighs picture quality. With regard to brightness/contrast on the CRT monitors, I dont know what monitors you use where it is not changeable but mine always could.

"and believe me, the list of disadvantages on a tft monitor are getting shorter and shorter all the time." This argument being actually your main point does not cut much mustard with me, i.e. list of disadvantages is not a selling point.
    Last edited by Blub2k; 27-01-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    The only real disadvantages of the latest panels now are 1) cost, and 2) resolution.
    With crts - 1) deskspace, 2) weight, 3) brightness and contrast levels, and those aren't things you can change on a crt, the cost and resolution of tft panels can, and is being tackled.
    CRTs
    can't agree with point 3) - contrast on the new IIyama tubes is stunning, especially the high contrast modes now available.

LCDs
    you have to add in 3) ghosting on LCD's - the response time and refresh needs to be a good deal better before you can compare like for like.

Thanks
    Ok i'll try to be subjective on this, I Just brought a new Diamondtron see sig and my brother just brought a iiyama prolite e431s after reading the review of it in cutompc, and having both in the house and regularly using his tft cos i'm gutted he could afford one and i couldn't i have had a fair bit of experience with both, and i have to say the my dimondtron is better(i'm not just saying this cos i couldn't get a prolite). The difference is very small and i have to say i'm really impressed with his screen great brightness, 16ms screen response, high contrast ratio, but the fact remain my dimondtron has the better, sharper picture, good in any resolution i choose to run it on and a superbright mode for video watching the melts your retinas, the prolite is awsome but my £200 Dimondtron does still beat his £350 prolite everytime(only just mind).
    i5 | Antec Sonata 3 | 4 GB | OCZ Vertex | Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7

DsW
    Thanks
    My advice would be...

1. Re-organise your destop! More space = more room to dump crap = longer to find what you want. Making it bigger isn't going to help! If you really need more screen real-estate why not consider a virtual desktop.

2. Gaming performance is pretty close to being a non-issue. Take a look at a good quality 16ms TFT with any recent game of your choice and you'll see how little there is in it.

3. For general working, I find a TFT much easier on your eyes.

4. TFTs take up less space on your computer desk so you can easily push it to one side when you need to use the desk for something else.

5. If you want to watch DVDs... use a proper DVD player and widescreen telly

You know you want to!

cheers,
    dave

Thanks
    i heard that by 2006 tft should account for 82% of the monitor market. currently tft is outselling crt 5:1.

can u guys who haven't actually seen a decent tft in action stop slating 'em and spurting rubbish that you've just read on some message board and actually have no experience of.

my lil sammy 152T has a quoted response time of 25ms but i still have yet to see any ghosting and i play loads of games, Q3, CS, Halo, Call of Duty, Wolf ET, GTA:Vice City, the list goes on and on...

i agree with stoo that the disadvantages of TFT are cost and resolution, cost isn't so much of an issue really since they are getting cheaper all the time. i will be happier when tfts will have more options for resolutions coz as we know anything but native res looks manky, which is why i got a 15" tft for gaming at 1024x768.

Thanks
    Can I ask the ppl who are stating that, in a side by side comparison, a CRT is better than a TFT for SHARPNESS is actually running the TFT display using a proper DVI cable and not some crappy VGA input ??

I run my main rig and server on the same monitor - main rig is plugged into DVI of TFT and server is plugged into VGA of TFT and I can switch between them with a button on the front. Anyways, I notice that the picture on the DVI part is FAR sharper than when I use the VGA one and I mean FAR FAR sharper.

On a side note - I guess this is another advantage of some TFT's in that you can effectively get 2 monitors in one. Using a program such as Synergy allows me to use both as Synergy is a software KM solution controlling the remote PC thru TCP/IP.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thread Information