• Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD

New Monitor for £200

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a new monitor for my Dad and as I'm not sure on the area I've come looking for help form some much more knowledgeable people!

As in the title, my budget is £200 with £225 being the most I'm willing to go to, so that puts me in the market for something around the 22" wide screen mark, right?

As for use, it will be used for a lot of work on AutoCAD so it really needs to be top draw.

I've always thought of Dell screens to be pretty close to the mark and noticed the 2208 at around £200, also as the screen he uses at work in a 19" Dell I thought that may well be the way to go.

I guess my question is are there any better/cheaper monitors out there and is there any glaring problems with the 2208 that I haven't found?

Cheers for any and all help
    Jason

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: New Monitor for £200

If you're willing to stretch the budget that weeeee bit more, you can get a Dell E248WFP for £246.75 at PcBuyIt :, cracking deal for a 24", which is perfect for CAD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Would need to know if you want built in speakers too, if not 22" samsung in budget.

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samy & 2x 250GB Hitatichi RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    If you're willing to stretch the budget that weeeee bit more, you can get a Dell E248WFP for £246.75 at PcBuyIt :, cracking deal for a 24", which is perfect for CAD.
    I've seen the E248WFP but I couldn't work out the difference between this and the more expensive 2408, is the latter just newer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Would need to know if you want built in speakers too, if not 22" samsung in budget.

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK
    This looks really nice! And no I wont need built ins

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by mallett View Post
    I've seen the E248WFP but I couldn't work out the difference between this and the more expensive 2408, is the latter just newer?
    The latter is newer, has a card reader, and exceptional colour representation, the E248WFP still has great colour representation (92 or 96% Gamut iirc), HDCP, but none of those mediahub bits (while nice, not really needed). But tbh, most of all, 24" of screen space for CAD is really needed if you do anything in great detail, software zooming is great and all, but more of the overview you can see the easier it is to work on IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

I got one of these before Christmas time and its been great, very happy with it.
    Theres also this one, which is supposedly the same but with HDCP support added if you dont want to use OCuk.

It'll break your £225 max budget a little bit (by however much delivery costs) but I think it would be well worth it. You get more screen to work on and a better quality panel
    fwiw my mate has a 22" Sammy and says the viewing angles are rubbish.

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samy & 2x 250GB Hitatichi RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD

Cheers for the help guys!

I've been doing more and more searching and I think that I'll stick with a 22" model as although these 24" screens do look good, and I would prefer to get a very good quality 22" instead of a not-so-good-quality 24". The loss of real estate isn't much of an issue as my Dad will be using a small second screen for toolbars and the like and the 22" will be bigger then his current 19" CRT and 19" LCD he uses at work.

On that note, I have narrowed it down to 3 hopefuls...

Dell 2208WFP Ultra Sharp
    Dell : DELL Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP Black 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (TCO'99) : Displays : Small & Medium Business

LG Flatron L227WT
    LG L227WT : LG UK

Samsung SM226BW
    226BW LCD - monitors SAMSUNG

I've heard good and bad things about all but I hoping to hear from the good folk here who own them to add their 2 cents...

Cheers

Thanks

M8 got for the Samsung 226bw!!! I spent months reading review from several different monitors and settled on the Samsung. Don't be scared by the whole panel rubbish as from what I have heard, all 226bw monitors are now s-panels. I've had mine since January 2008 and love it. Colours are amazing, sharp pictures in game and no ghosting that I can see. The trick is not to get too bedded in problems that a certain monitor may have. All monitors have some problems. The 226 offers superb value for money and is a solid build. And if somthing does go wrong you can always count on Samsung customer service.

Thanks
    • donkiddik's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K at 4.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1 Samsung ssd 500Gb 1 Samsung SSD 256gb 2 x Samsung spinpoint 500gb sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8Gb GTX1070 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX 750
      • Case:
      • Aerocool Aero 800 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp LED IPS 23" Monitor U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    M8 got for the Samsung 226bw!!! I spent months reading review from several different monitors and settled on the Samsung. Don't be scared by the whole panel rubbish as from what I have heard, all 226bw monitors are now s-panels. I've had mine since January 2008 and love it. Colours are amazing, sharp pictures in game and no ghosting that I can see. The trick is not to get too bedded in problems that a certain monitor may have. All monitors have some problems. The 226 offers superb value for money and is a solid build. And if somthing does go wrong you can always count on Samsung customer service.
    Second that, I've got the 20" version (206BW) and it's the best monitor I've had
    Cave canem!

Thanks
    • rufeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai W240 PVA

Quote Originally Posted by merple View Post
    I got one of these before Christmas time and its been great, very happy with it.
    Theres also this one, which is supposedly the same but with HDCP support added if you dont want to use OCuk.

It'll break your £225 max budget a little bit (by however much delivery costs) but I think it would be well worth it. You get more screen to work on and a better quality panel
    fwiw my mate has a 22" Sammy and says the viewing angles are rubbish.
    I've also heard great things about those monitors. When my friend needed a new monitor with the same kind of budget I told him to get this one 24" Yuraku Widescreen LCD Monitor DVI HDCP - Aria Technology

it's basically the same screen as the two mentioned above, but cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by mallett View Post
    Cheers for the help guys!

I've been doing more and more searching and I think that I'll stick with a 22" model as although these 24" screens do look good, and I would prefer to get a very good quality 22" instead of a not-so-good-quality 24". The loss of real estate isn't much of an issue as my Dad will be using a small second screen for toolbars and the like and the 22" will be bigger then his current 19" CRT and 19" LCD he uses at work.

On that note, I have narrowed it down to 3 hopefuls...

Dell 2208WFP Ultra Sharp
    Dell : DELL Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP Black 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (TCO'99) : Displays : Small & Medium Business

LG Flatron L227WT
    LG L227WT : LG UK

Samsung SM226BW
    226BW LCD - monitors SAMSUNG

I've heard good and bad things about all but I hoping to hear from the good folk here who own them to add their 2 cents...

Cheers
    I can understand that for the price you may not think the 24" is that good. But in terms of image quality it is very very good. I've got a 24" hyundai pva panel and had to fork out the best part of 400 quid for it. But two of my friends have the screens that were posted and in terms of image quality there really isn't anything to choose from. The reason they're so cheaper is because they lack the extra connections that the more expensive monitors have eg. component, composite etc. and also the stand doesn't tilt etc.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufeo View Post
    I've also heard great things about those monitors. When my friend needed a new monitor with the same kind of budget I told him to get this one 24" Yuraku Widescreen LCD Monitor DVI HDCP - Aria Technology

it's basically the same screen as the two mentioned above, but cheaper!

I can understand that for the price you may not think the 24" is that good. But in terms of image quality it is very very good. I've got a 24" hyundai pva panel and had to fork out the best part of 400 quid for it. But two of my friends have the screens that were posted and in terms of image quality there really isn't anything to choose from. The reason they're so cheaper is because they lack the extra connections that the more expensive monitors have eg. component, composite etc. and also the stand doesn't tilt etc.
    I agree and good advice.
    The Yuraku is an excellent monitor for the price.

Thread Information