Thread: Going from nvidia to ati

Senile Member
    Thanks

Going from nvidia to ati

All right, i've got a sapphire 9800pro "atlantis" 128MB here to replace my old ti4200.

Am I ok to just get my gfx card drivers to vga before swapping cards or do I need to try and use a "detonator destroyer" type proggie?

Thanks guys.

Thanks
    I gather that it's good to "destroy" your detonator drivers before sticking the ATI card in, however I've never had to do it myself, so I can't speak from experience.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    When I changed from a nVidia Geforce MX400 to my nice new ATI Radeon 9600, I just uninstalled the old drivers, turned it off and out the new card in. Installed the drivers, and it works fine, but if you want to be on the safe side you might want to run Driver Cleaner. Never used it myself, but mentioned on the forums previously.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Hope this helps.

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    When I changed from a nVidia Geforce MX400 to my nice new ATI Radeon 9600, I just uninstalled the old drivers, turned it off and out the new card in. Installed the drivers, and it works fine, but if you want to be on the safe side you might want to run Driver Cleaner. Never used it myself, but mentioned on the forums previously.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Hope this helps.

Mike
    I bet you don't change your drivers every 5 minutes and therefore that's why you've had no problems. It seems the more people mess with them the better it is for them to really erase the previous driver set. People who install Omega drivers or chop and change to perform 3d mark tests seem to get the most problems, which is quite logical really.

I dunno about RedPutty but I'll be checking out that driver cleaner next time I'm in need of something like it.

Cheers!
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    add remove programs to take old software out.....power off, swap cards, then reboot on whatever drivers XP has built in for the new card.....

it'll have something....

I have never had nvidia and ATI swap problems....so I'd go with just adding the new ones...

HOWEVER....from EXPERIENCE..unless you have an All In Wonder.....dont download the ALL IN ONE from ATI.....down load the Driver and Control Panel seperately....and not the last one for WDM capture.

Then....

Run the driver install program (dont even bother unzipping it, its a self installer)....follow instructions.....dont bother clicking restart tho......on the last choice, just say "I'll restart it myself later, cos I;m in charge you are simply a computer, so let me decide...thankyou"

Then run the Control Panel installer......and THEN reboot after its installed...

THEN>>>>>WARNING,,,,,the screen will take AGES to load on first boot up...and it MIGHT GO BLACK and FLASH....

its FINE...you're SAFE

then go in and TURN OF VPU RECOVERY cos its a pain in the bottom (tries to warn you about potential overclock failuer but STILL pops up by accident sometimes)

There ya go...I also turn off the icon in the task bar (its in the Options tag in Display Properties).....no point as we all know you only have to right click desktop and click Display> Advanced.

And off ya go.....

and do yourself a favour.......SLIDE ALL IMAGE THE SLIDERS UP a bit at a time, play some games, then move 'em up again..... and have a box of tissues handy

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Hmmm I'd err on the safe side if i were you. Had trouble upgrading from Geforce 4? 64mb to ATI 9600xt on XP SP1. The new drivers and card installed alright but it was very unstable and i had to reset and that was the end of that. Couldnt get it to boot at all safe mode or anything. The system was up for a reinstall of XP anyway so i wasnt too bothered but it was abit of a balls.
    Thats my experience anyway!

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    Haven't ever had any probs in that instance, simply uninstalled NVidia drivers, shut down, swapped card, re-booted and installed latest ATI Drivers/Control panel.

Anybody else noticed you have to re-boot twice (Win XP) after control panel installation for it to fully function? First I get the TV settings screen up, reboot, then get the help panel come up. It's fine after that.

If I only re-booted once, I couldn't lock the refresh rate in 'Displays.'

Thread Information