Thread: Laptop to TV not getting the full picture

Thanks

Laptop to TV not getting the full picture

Hi There,

I recently purchased a new TV Panasonic TX-P46G10 and have connected it to my Laptop Acer Aspire 8920G to use as an HTPC.

Now I can get it to connect fine using an HDMI cable but the display on the TV is larger than the screen, i.e. the screen looks like it is slightly zoomed in. I can't see the task bar at the bottom and the icons on the right hand side are half hidden as is the sidebar.

OS is Vista x32

Both devices are capable of and are set to 1080p. If i change the resolution of the output on the laptop i still get the same issue on the tv.

Is there something simple I am missing?

SF

Thanks

Re: Laptop to TV not getting the full picture

I have the same problem with my Dell M1330 when connected via HDMI to my LCD TV.

I change the resolution to various settings and I can get it better/worse but never perfect, making it unusable.

I've had to resort to using VGA in which it works perfectly, but no sound sadly.

Thanks

Its something called overscanning I think.

The TV cuts the picture edges off, I think it helps with some video like films etc.

If you want to there probably is a service menu that might have a setting for overscanning on the TV be WARNED you can and may damage or make your TV unwatchable by changeing the service menu settings so do this at your own risk or get a professional to adjust it, it will probably void your warranty as well, it is only for trained personel to setup the TV.

Alternatively my nvidia card driver has a setting you can change to adjust the zoom on the HDMI output which lets me see a full windows desktop on my bedroom TV its a 720P Panasonic by the way and works sort of ok like this the fonts look a bit jaggy but its usable, films play well.

I would think a VGA signal would be best but you need to get the sound across seperately then. you may have problems with HDCP with VGA ie you might not get the full resolution when watching films.
    TVs are not ideal for computer monitors, but saying that I have only tried my panasonic so your TV could be better or worse.

Only play with the service menu if you have enough knowledge to understand what you are changing it is a very complicated thing on a panasonic and I don't recommend you just mess about with it. You have been warned...

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. To be honest when it comes to watching films there is so little lost it is not really a problem and IMO the benefits of using HDMI over any other connection is worth it. I was just worried that I had something set up wrong.

My work around is that I have set up my TV to be my primary screen with my laptop screen being cloned. This means that when I am playing films full screen the laptop is blank but if i need to access the pop up menu at the bottom of the screen i can still use my laptop screen without disturbing the film.

N

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpriteFeedback View Post
    Hi There,

I recently purchased a new TV Panasonic TX-P46G10 and have connected it to my Laptop Acer Aspire 8920G to use as an HTPC.

Now I can get it to connect fine using an HDMI cable but the display on the TV is larger than the screen, i.e. the screen looks like it is slightly zoomed in. I can't see the task bar at the bottom and the icons on the right hand side are half hidden as is the sidebar.

OS is Vista x32

Both devices are capable of and are set to 1080p. If i change the resolution of the output on the laptop i still get the same issue on the tv.

Is there something simple I am missing?

SF
    I think you are cloning the displays. I believe your gpu would be able to drive each display separately?

Use the advanced tab in display and make sure they are not cloning, then you can set each display individually.

Good luck.

Thanks

Cloning has worked fine for most discs although for some reason 1 (the princess bride) would not load with the screens set as clone.

It doesnt matter how you set the screen the TV will always overscan as switchmode says. As I said I am not planning on using the TV for gaming or general pc use so it is really fine for watching films. In any case the chances are that if i had a stand alone blu-ray player I would not see any more of the film

SF

Thread Information