Thread: AOpen 6800 Ultra/GT's in Stock

Thanks

AOpen 6800 Ultra/GT's in Stock

Yep our friendly PCWorld Component centre:

Ultra: http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/...&bklist=page,1
    GT: http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/...&bklist=page,1

Have to say (and I cant believe I am) PCW putting a little effort in now and its normal price and an alright store. Just a damn slow website.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Yep, just ordered a 6800GT from them. It says 'released for delivery', so hopefully should arrive tomorrow with the overnight shipping I paid for (feedback, anyone who's ordered?)

As regards PCW, well, they were the first in London to get the Voodoo2's (remember those!). I tried *everywhere* for weeks, and PCW in Croydon were the first - and only - place to get them. This was when PCW only had one store, and Croydon was it. I ordered the card over the phone, paid for overnight delivery, and...

I wasn't in the following day when the card turned up (popped out for 5 minutes! Bugger), and had to drive miles on my motorcycle in the pouring rain to collect it from the depot, who spent 30 minutes trying to find it. So, drive all the way home in the poring rain, which get's me to midnight. Decided to do a late night install, only to find that PCW had sent me an empty box, as they take all the graphics cards out of the boxes when they put them on store shelves. I was gutted. Phoned them the next day. They apologised (profusely) and sent the card out for delivery the next day. It turned up and everything was OK. Still, I hope my 6800GT doesn't go through the same process! :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd
    Yep, just ordered a 6800GT from them. It says 'released for delivery', so hopefully should arrive tomorrow with the overnight shipping I paid for (feedback, anyone who's ordered?)

As regards PCW, well, they were the first in London to get the Voodoo2's (remember those!). I tried *everywhere* for weeks, and PCW in Croydon were the first - and only - place to get them. This was when PCW only had one store, and Croydon was it. I ordered the card over the phone, paid for overnight delivery, and...

I wasn't in the following day when the card turned up (popped out for 5 minutes! Bugger), and had to drive miles on my motorcycle in the pouring rain to collect it from the depot, who spent 30 minutes trying to find it. So, drive all the way home in the poring rain, which get's me to midnight. Decided to do a late night install, only to find that PCW had sent me an empty box, as they take all the graphics cards out of the boxes when they put them on store shelves. I was gutted. Phoned them the next day. They apologised (profusely) and sent the card out for delivery the next day. It turned up and everything was OK. Still, I hope my 6800GT doesn't go through the same process! :-)
    Now that sounds like a mission.

That PCW is 2min down the road from me at Purley Way, they recently rebuilt and allegdly its the biggest computer superstore in Europe (allegdly).

Pretty good component section there now almost normal prices However they still are trying to tell people that a FX5600/5700 are the mutts nutts, surprisingly tho they are BFG cards.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    I'm the other side of London (North). My two local PCW shops are Enfield and the Brentford one at the end of the M1. To be honest, niether of them are very good for the enthusiast PC builder. They are OK if you want printer paper, but their components sections are extremely poor and still incredibly overpriced.

Last thing I bought from them was a Scanner, and that was only about £10 more than online, so it was worth getting as I then didn't have to pay £7-8 in postage. But DVD blanks? Jeez, they were running at 3-4 times the price that I could buy them for online!

I noticed on the graphics card order that I made that they say the pcw component centre is not associated with the shops in any way. So if you have a problem, you can't take it back to the shop for exchange, which is a bit poor, IMHO. My PNY Ti4600 has been fine for the last 2 years, so I'm hoping for the same from the 6800GT. If it goes bang in 2 years, it'll be ready for replacement anyway.

Cheers,

Nomadd

Thread Information