Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting open a TFT?

Thanks

Talking Cutting open a TFT?

I know this is a strange question to ask but i was just looking at my Iiyama TFT the other day and noticed how delicate the soft plastic of the screen is. IT looks like it would be quite easy to rip it open if you dropped something sharp across it etc. They look much more fragile than a CRT.

I was just wodering what would happen if you cut it with a sharp implement. Would it still work? Obviously if the cut was too deep and it damaged the signal matrix (or whatever) etc it would not work but if the cut was just shallow.

Thanks
    Get you stanley knife out and give it a go

Thanks
    I thought you were talking about the surround at frist. Its an interesting thought
    Maybe you could just buy a 17" TFt and cut it up into lots of little baby TFT's ?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    I think it can be cut and remain semi functional. Was given an old laptop with a split in the screen still worked, as best it could. I have also repaired an old TFT from an HP Laptop years ago, backlight tube needed replacing, had to dismantle the whole thing to change it. When i took it apart i discovered multiple bits.
    1: Front plastic cover
    2: 2 thin plastic sheets ( pixel matrix i think )
    3: Clear perspex like sheet about 4mm thick
    4: Reflective sheet
    5: Rear plastic case

Dont know if same holds true today was a laptop from 1996-97.

I like my iiyama TFT i wouldnt dream of inflicting damage to it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter
    Was given an old laptop with a split in the screen still worked, as best it could. I like my iiyama TFT i wouldnt dream of inflicting damage to it
    Interesting and yeah i like my Iiyama too so i wasnt actuallly planning on trying that out.

MurphmanL
    Surely its worth the money of a new one if its in the interests of computing discoveries Come on boys get hacking away

MurphmanL
    In fact, if you break it you can always use tv out until you save enough money to buy yourselves a new monitor or until you win the lotto

Thanks
    Yea MurphmanL. Seeing as you don't have a screen listed in your sig yo obviously don't treat monitors with respect.

MurphmanL
    A simple mistake ill correct soon...
    im pretty sure ive got a 17" Proview Monitor.
    It produces a great picture and i couldnt be happier with it, and im not gonna go breaking it as i havent got the cash to blow on a new one. Does anyone have a 19" Monitor here? And if so, are they much bigger than 17" and more importantly, are they any good?

Thanks
    I'd say a 19" monitor is about 2" bigger than a 17" monitor.

I personally can't tell much difference between mine (17") and my brother's (19") monitor, but then again we both run at 1280x1024. How good they are depends on the brand you choose, and different people ahve different opinions.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    I was a little suprised at how fragile tft's are when I first saw one. I would have thought they would have a glass/polycarb sheet over them to protect them from scratches but wouldnt that cause reflaections and stuff,something which tft's dont usually suffer with?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    I'd say a 19" monitor is about 2" bigger than a 17" monitor.

I have a 17inch TFT at home and use 19inch TFTs in College both running at 1280x1024 and tbh they are very similar. Apart from the fact that you can see the 19inchers from further away and they seem o take up a lot more space.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDeath
    I would have thought they would have a glass/polycarb sheet over them to protect them from scratches but wouldnt that cause reflaections and stuff,something which tft's dont usually suffer with?
    I wouldnt have thought reflections would have been a big problem but it probably has something to do with viewing angles. Slapping a big lump of glass or polycarb on the front would probably do something strange to viewing angles.

Thanks
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    hey you guys don`t have or had a go with a tft lcd monitor but i was thinking can you run them at high res other then the 1280*1024 like crt multi-sync or do you have to buy a bigger lcd to get the higher res.

Thanks
    No i'm afraid you cant run TFTs above their native resolution which is normally 1280x1024 for 17inchers. Running them at lower res than native is not good from an image quality point of view unless you use exactly half the native res. This has to do with the way each pixel is defined ina TFT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turkster
    No i'm afraid you cant run TFTs above their native resolution which is normally 1280x1024 for 17inchers. Running them at lower res than native is not good from an image quality point of view unless you use exactly half the native res. This has to do with the way each pixel is defined ina TFT.

Thats untrue Ive had my NEC 1760NX running at 1600x1200, and the native res is 1280x1024. Looked rubbish tho, but it is possible (using multres )

Thanks
    Strange that because i'm sure you cant physically get more pixels than native resolution in a TFT. Maybe thats why it looked so crap ie the screen was just interpolating it.

Thread Information