You've got mail.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

3. Received thanks from:

andmar (21-01-2011)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: The long running GSOD issue

Big thanks again, I didn't have time to look at it last night, it could be later today or the weekend before I get a little time to compare the files, but preliminarily, I can confirm that this BIOS file "looks" different to the one on xfx's support site from what I can remember, but I'll have to binary diff to find out... they are touting some kind of "fan speed" version 1.7 fix.

I've reapplied that one recently I can report that although I have received 1 striped screen, it didn't crash, it recovered, as I quickly quit and reentered a game I was playing; but I have had two extended sessions since then and no striped screens.... one odd thing I am finding though is the AA/AAF/anti-aliasing/smoothing settings don't seem to be having an effect in games???? In gta/bad company 2 I'm getting really blocky edges, I've tried setting in CCC to "override the application" and to use the "application settings" but nothing seems to make it work???? Maybe a driver reinstall is required??? Why are the ATI cards so sensitive to changes on the system, I've been a long time nVidia-whore and I don't remember "ever" having troubles like this they always "just worked".

btw phage, can you doubly confirm this bios is for an xfx 5870 xxx 1GB edition? I'm just wondering why the xfx site isn't offering this bios if it works??? Or if your card is slightly different... apparently my exact card is a: HD 5870 875M 1GB DDR5 HDMI DUAL DVI PCI-E XXX (HD-587X-ZNDC)

p.s. I've just remembered, I've also noticed it hasn't crashed yet whilst I'm running MSI afterburner in the background and have the OSD setting on (so I can monitor temps etc whilst "in game")... I'm sure that's just a coincidence though???
    Last edited by andmar; 21-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just reading here... http://forums.ncixus.com/forums/topic.php?id=2182791 that I think this bios is for a "slightly" different, older version of the card, gonna have to investigate what the differences are...

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Yes, I can confirm that this is the XFX XXX 1Gb card. It was one of the older versions with the reference cooler and PCB, but higher clocks. (possibly a ZDNA ? - but I'll have to check).
    Like this.
    http://www1.maximumpc.com/files/u906...X5870_full.jpg

I now have a 2nd XFX XXX and it has a different PCB and cooler. It's slightly shorter than the older one and the power inputs are now on the end of the card, rather than on the side, as they were on the older version. On the plus side, it's a lot quieter. Like this.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Radeon-4...5862635&sr=8-6

I haven't had any problems with either card, they play well together and run two different BIOSs. I can get more info when I get back tonight on the exact serial numbers of the cards. probably be late though.

Improved fans may well be a part of the solution. But when I used AB I didn't see any excessive temps on the log file until I went X-Fire. Then I used AB and/or CCC to keep the fans up, and the problem went away. The temp crashes were more perdictable with artifacting and stuttering before a crash, whereas my GSODs were much faster.

EDIT: Your link does indeed show the two versions of the card I have in the box.
    Last edited by Phage; 24-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for staying with me, sometimes I can only grab time for fiddling with my computer now and again...

But yeah, since then I've read that it does look like you have the older card, when I compared the bios I have with the one you sent (using this excellent program... http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/) they are "very" similar with two main differences, your card allows voltage adjustments, mine appears to be hard wired, your card has a higher "standard clock", but most settings of power play match exactly.

I have noticed my card is crashing "slightly" less lately, the only things I have changed are

a) I have reflashed the bios with xfx's support bios
    b) turned my front fans up a tad
    c) play games with MSI afterburner onscreen stats

I am due a few motherboard driver updates which I intend to put on if the crashes come back thick and fast... but my card (touch wood) seems to be "better" but not fixed. I do wonder if it's some kind of combination of a random VRAM overheat/voltage "bug".

Anyway, it's one of these blumin annoying things where you daren't RMA it as you can't really, 100% of the time, break it by doing X, Y or Z.

grrrrr

I honestly think if it doesn't clear up soon I'm gonna see if I can find a way to systematically show it doesn't work properly and RMA it and, more than likely, go back to nVidia.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Yup. XFX gave me an RMA and the new BIOS, in case it didn't work. I can't complain about their customer service. I'd keep negotiating with them.

I thought about going back to NV as well (last card was a 8800GT), so I did some checking. The new cards have their own issues. Google 580 crash and you'll see what I mean. Luckily for me <touches wood-effect desktop> my setup has been 100% stable ever since the flash. Heat was a X-Fire issue due to the cards being very close on my mainboard, but solved through the higher fans and a bit of Blue Peter ducting.

EDIT: Higher standard clocks ? Might be linked to the clock-change which many people were blaming for the GSODs.
    Last edited by Phage; 25-01-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thread Information