Thread: Decisions, Decisions.....

Thanks

Decisions, Decisions.....

Hello,
    The time is quickly approaching for me to get my few thousand pounds, and i have a big upgrade planned. I had to go round to my mates earlier as he had a new PC (PC World "effort") and needed to install his USB Cable Modem drivers.... and i completely fell for his TFT (Be it only 14" i think). So now, i dont know which of the following to do:-

a) Buy a 6800 Ultra / X800XT and 2 x 19" Iiyama CRT's. (Worried about CPU bottlenecking GPU)

b) Buy a 9800 XT / 6800 GT / X800 Pro and 2 x "Samtron 17" TFT" Monitors. (possibilities will be a XT due to the GT and 800 Pro being a bit high price wise)

I have around, £700-£800 alone for the monitors and GFX, dual-monitors is nessecery. I quickly run out of desktop space. I think I'd prefer the 2nd, but what do you think i should do? Particulary worrying is all these threads about CPU bottlenecking.... Will my CPU bottleneck an X800 Pro or 6800 GT?

Thanks in Advance

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, go easy on the two CRTs (Couple of 17" ones) and buy a new CPU. Maybe a nice 939 socket Athlon64 when they come out, with an X800XT? That's what I'm doing, although I'm spending about £700 tops. Athlon64, X800XT, 939 motherboard, another stick of DDR400.

As for bottlenecking, it depends. Games like Far Cry, at 1600x1200 with AA and AF will still run much better, but you might not notice much increase in games being run a lower res, and less eye candy, like say Call of Duty.

B) from those choices. Then you can get a new CPU as well.

Thanks
    i will have money for a 939 afterwards, when they are out (not brand new, but a few people have them.) This is just looking at the above two options really, i've wanted a good graphics card for ages, same with dual monitors. Plus, i've only had this P4 about a year, i dont want to pay £170 (£450 for full transform from MATX to ATX) to use a CPU for a year, i want my moneys worth, and it clocks well. It'll last till maybe the end of next March, then i can buy a 939 if i feel its needed. Technology advances too fast tbh, i cant fund, and cba funding, to keep up. God, i wish i would've never asked for that Cyrix 486, then i wouldnt be in this state!

Oh, the CRT's are ~ £120 so its not really going to knock much off if i only got one, and used this 17". But TFT's are SSOO lovely!!

How about i go for b), and save up for a 939 CPU and mobo? I'll still have about £5k floating around incase i need a bit extra

Thread Information