• Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

LG 1710B (for Trig)

LG 1710B TFT 17” screen

Well guys…she arrived.

First appearance is a big box….lots of packaging, and a safe passage to me. All cables are provided. Power plug, USB upstream cable (way long enough) DSUB and Digital monitor cables. So part one…..good stuff.
    Very very small bezel. The surround is silver, and very narrow.
    The base is weighty, with a 30 degree stand from the rear leaning forwars and up to the support the monitor. The USB ports are on this upright, on the right hand side. The screen is deeper than I expected, as the power brick is “integrated” but its is still a good looking monitor.

I plugged her in, switched her on, and off we went. The first thing I did was installed the drivers from the disk. For the noobs out there (yup, me) we expect to find a CD that boots up, and offers the choice of installing drivers, plus Free Ware. Not this time. It offers s Guide on How to install the drivers. It suggests you visit www.lge.com

I did….but I cant find any drivers on the web page, so I did a quick “Explore” of the CD, and they were on there after all. So into Monitor properties, update driver, show them where they are on the CD, job done. But I am still bemused as to how a noob would do it. And the LGE website, when I ran a search for Drivers, came upwith very little of use. So for website…..pants out of 10 score.

Now for the Angle of Dangle!

I installed Colorific software. I love this stuff. You get a colour match card, with a code on it. You install the software, and chose what kind of monitor you have, and follow the instructions. At several points you move sliders up and down to get various lines to “merge” or look similar, and best of all, a balck screen with grey squares on it. You tilt the monitor until they disappear. It sure as hell aint square on to your eyes. But when I followed it to the letter….it worked a treat J
    At one point you place the colour card on the screen, and with back lighting, it tricks your eyes into seeing another colour spectrum, and you move the sliders to match.

Why do I explain this? Because the monitor likes to be treated with respect. Once its set up, properly, the colours are amazing, the 3d depth is exceptional, shadows look right AND you have the right “angle of dangle”. I advise using it. It does the job.

Next: Resolution
    I was worried about not being able to run games at 1024x768, as was Trig and other Forum fella’s. Well, while the desktop doesn’t look too sharp at that resolution, as its not the “native” state for this size screen, the gaming is superb. Really, not a worry. BUT I have to also say, that IL-2 runs like a DREAM on 1280x1024 with 6x AA on a 9800 Pro, and I didn’t even KNOW it ran at all, on those settings.
    800x600? Well, to be honest…this screen is SO BIG in relation to my expectations that I don’t forsee ever using it.
    So what’s with size? Surely, Zakky, on ordering a bigger screen, you EXPECTED a bigger screen? Well, yeah I did, but it’s the IMPACT on your brain when USING it, that I wasn’t expecting. Don’t just put the screen next to your old screen and get out a tape measure. This is SURFACE AREA….this is REAL ESTATE…this is FOOTBALL PITCH size.

And while IL-2 FB seemed vastly “less cramped” in cockpit, it wasn’t that game that shocked the most.

It was the inevitable Far Cry test that I had to run it on. COLOUR! GREEN? RED PLANTS?

As a purely subjective point, it was as good as my first view of Lortd of the Rings on my LOEWE TV. The feeling of “jungle” was overwhelming .

Now the scary bit. If, in the heat of battle, when being showered with bullets from behind, can you whip round with no screen tearing? Will you be waiting that sacred half a second while it catches up with your brain and Radeon movement?

Well….nearly. We all know its not CRT speed. And I’m gonna let the debate rage, because it’s NOT as instant as a telly….it cant be (not for this level of technology/money)

BUT, would I use a CRT to play Raven Shield at the next LAN? And will I use a normal monitor for Far Cry? Of course I wont. And is that because Zaky just spent £280 on a monitor and now feels “obliged” to use it?

Nope. That’s not me. I got a 9600 Pro a while back…had it less than 3 weeks before I needed David’s Rad9800 Pro. If I didnt rate it, it would go back. I was half expecting a let down. Which makes me smile TWICE as MUCH because it's really very very good.

Can I afford a better screen? Bet your ass I can. But will I buy a higher priced one. No…I wont. Because only on 270' spins in Far Cry did I get a tear, a jutter….and frankly is was quicker than I will ever be able to aim. I really like this monitor. I think I will LOVE it for flight sims for the sheer SIZE of the planes on screen. But I tried Unreal Tournament (original) last night too, and that was the BIGGEST eye opener. It transformed the absorbtion into the game. It literally relaunched the games colours and depths.

So, for gaming I give it a 7 /10 where a 21” CRT would score about a 9/10. And where a 17” monitor, of any good standard, gets a 5/10

Desktop? Well, thought I’d need my specs on , but no…not a bit of it. At 1280x960 the icons are as perfectly readable as 1024x768 on a 17” CRT, so stop fretting Trig.

So, round up: Please bear in mind this is with a 9800Pro on a Digi cable.
    Value: 9/10. It would be hard to get better, WITH my beloved USB hub, for SO FAR under £300
    2d Image: 8/10 Have had a few issues getting white to look really clean without burning out my retina But that’s being picky, as its only for word documents. It does a fantastic job on photos, you can see so much of them at 1280x960
    3d Image: 8/10 looks like heaven in 3D apps. Milli second delay on really big/rapid movements, but no bothering me.
    Size: 7/10 Its my only gripe really….it’s a big base AND a high screen AND a big box for carrying it to LAN’s. Maybe I’m too picky…but its not as small as I’d hoped. However, its same size as a Hyundai 17” so hey ho.

Conclusion: Don’t let the low “number” that LG gave it put you off. It DOES game, it DOES look nice and it DOES come in under budget. I know there are higher LG models but frankly, my money is staying here

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Cheers chap, just need to find a nice card reader and an IrDa-USB jiblet now...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    something esle to note....it scrolls better than the CRT I have here....on Hexus pages and similar....it scrolls SMOOTHER than this

by the way, no dead pixels...I THOUGHT I had one...was polystyrene stuck to the screen with static.

I TOLD you I hated the big box...it DID get everywhere

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    Ok ok, I give in, now just gotta find somewhere its cheap and they also have a 3.5" cardreader and an iRDa-USB thing....

Thanks
    Brilliant screens indeed, I have two!

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Told you youd love it

/me hugs my LG

I do need another though, damn you Atomic
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Was tempted with the 1710S which has a responce of 16ms but doesnt have DVI or the USB hub...

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Can you really notice a differnce between dvi and vga ?

USB hub? i can see how it would useful at a lan but do you really need it? shuttles have loads of usb ports dont they?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
    I do need another though, damn you Atomic
    Cost all my Christmas bonus tho.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by steve threlfall
    the display on a tft is digital. an image is rendered by your graphics card digitally. if you use vga, then the image has to be converted to vga then back to digital - in addition to needing things like image position to be calibrated (rather than being pixel perfect at all times with dvi)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve threlfall

USB hub? i can see how it would useful at a lan but do you really need it? shuttles have loads of usb ports dont they?
    If its that goot then it'll replace my 19" CRT which sits under a desk, and its not so much a case of me having enuf USB ports its more a case of some of them arent in ideal positions, ie my keyboard/mouse/joystick are all pretty close to being too short, if I have USB in my monitor then things that I plug in or unplug regularly will be less hastle for me, call me lazy but hey

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig
    Was tempted with the 1710S which has a responce of 16ms but doesnt have DVI or the USB hub...

err....the Ebuyer screen is badly worded....the LG site has the 1710B as 16ms too

Either way, Trig, as you well know on stuff like PSU's and CAR AMPLIFIERS, the stated rating is often DRIVVEL

LG has them BOTH listed as 16ms

USB hubs is the future....PC underdesk, joystick, memory card, camera etc etc

all plugged into HUB

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    am home now...

its STILL HUGE

Thanks
    Its a 4 port hub?

Tell me its so, keyboard, mouse, joystick + webcam, as for the card reader its an internal 3.5 drive bay one

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    nope...2 ports

but thats what USB is for...unplug...re plug.

Key board n Mouse are in back of PC..its joystick n stuff up top

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    have retried all the Resolutions....for desktops

800X600 is really pretty good...

1024x768 is really pretty good..

1280x1024 is just sexual

Back in a mo....Il2 calls

Thread Information