• G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

GPU fried???

Recently my system stopped working and originally thought it was a PSU problem as the system would power up for 1 second then shutdown, it would keep doing this untill I disconnect the PSU (Corsair AX 850).

As you would, I tested this by disconnecting MB leads and only connected the fans and shorted the 24 pin on the right 3rd and 4th pins, the system fan started to spin no problems. I then connected the MB connectors again and then I heard a pop. No smoke, no burnt smell. I looked carefully at MB, both side and GPU and no burst capacitors or black/charred areas. I did not open the GPU however to look inside, so I do not void warranty. But didn't smell anythign apart from Dust.

Whenever I switch the system on both the GPU and Motherboard light up and the GPU PCB would have red and green lights from the APS (Active phase shift).

As far as I remember the GPU fans do spin but stop thereafter as the system shut downs, but I am now not 100% sure.

As I took each component out such as each ram stick and HDD one at a time to see if it other stuff causing the system to shut down, all the way to just the MB itself without the CPU, it would do the same thing. Hence which is I came to the conclusion it was MB that caused the system to shutdown.

How do I ascertain my GPU has fried without a working MB as I fear it might be gone as well. I tried to connect the GPU to the PSU with the system fan, the system fans turn on but the GPU does not. Does it need the MB to start turning the GPU Fans? I fear I may have burned £400 down the drain

P.S my MB is RMAed and I have no Beep codes even connected to speakers externally. All components used are on my system specs
    Last edited by csgohan4; 09-06-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

Re: GPU fried???

Give it to a friend to test in a working system.

Thread Information