Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must I use distilled water and where can I get it?

Registered+
    Thanks

Must I use distilled water and where can I get it?

Hi

I'm building my first watercooling loop and need help with coolant. From all the research I've done the view is to use water not the proprietary coolant mixes from Phobya etc which cost a bomb and glow in the dark.

The problem I'm finding is that some say only use distilled (plus PT Nuke) whereas others say de-ionised (plus PT Nuke) is fine. I can find de-ionised no problem locally but can't find distilled. On the internet distilled is very expensive due to shipping.

Has anyone used de-ionised long term with no ill effects or will this be courting disaster? I plan to drain my loop fairly regularly for the first couple of years anyway.

Thanks in advance

Mag

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Re: Must I use distilled water and where can I get it?

First time I filled a water loop, I got all obsessive about whether to use distilled or deionised water, etc etc. Nowadays I just use water from a filter-jug with a bit of pt Nuke. Works just as well. Frankly, I'd probably just use tap water if I didn't happen to have a filter-jug to hand.

If you are looking for cheapish distilled/de-ionised water, look for "battery water" in car shops. For instance, you can get 5 litres of battery water from Halfords for £4:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255205

Definitely DO NOT USE those evil coloured pre-mixed solutions.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

De-ionised will be better than distilled as it will remove all impurities.

Distilled water is, as the name implies made by boiling the water and then condensing the steam, so that dissolved minerals are left behind. De-ionized water is made by passing the water over an ion exchange resin which does the same job. Deionizing columns are much smaller than distilling plant.

You do need some inhibitor, mainly to stop the growth of micro-organisms that will inevitably get into the water from the air or that may be in the tubes when you fill them. Although de-ionised water should be free from dissolved gases, oxygen and carbon dioxide will dissolve into the water slowly. Carbon dioxide dissolves to form carbonic acid, and together with dissolved oxygen, forms a slightly corrosive mixture, so some corrosion inhibitor is a good idea. You could use a tiny amount of car radiator antifreeze, as that is a corrosion inhibitor. For the volume of water in a water cooling set up, you would only need a very tiny amount. Otherwise buy a product made for the job.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Carbon dioxide dissolves to form carbonic acid, and together with dissolved oxygen, forms a slightly corrosive mixture, so some corrosion inhibitor is a good idea. You could use a tiny amount of car radiator antifreeze, as that is a corrosion inhibitor. For the volume of water in a water cooling set up, you would only need a very tiny amount. Otherwise buy a product made for the job.
    You definitely do not want to buy one of those awful coloured pre-mix solutions that are (supposedly) "made for the job". THEY ARE PURE EVIL. If there are uncoloured, non-uv-reactive, non-gimmicky brands that are made for the job, then I'd say that was OK, although undoubtedly an unnecessary expense. De-ionised water and Pt nuke is fine. If you want your pipes to be colourful, buy coloured pipe, not coloured water.

I have no experience of adding a corrosion inhibitor except as part of the central heating system in my house! But probably an unnecessary complexity for a PC water loop in my experience. Temps are way less, most parts are either plastic or get replaced on timescales that are much shorter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    You definitely do not want to buy one of those awful coloured pre-mix solutions that are (supposedly) "made for the job". THEY ARE PURE EVIL. If there are uncoloured, non-uv-reactive, non-gimmicky brands that are made for the job, then I'd say that was OK, although undoubtedly an unnecessary expense. De-ionised water and Pt nuke is fine. If you want your pipes to be colourful, buy coloured pipe, not coloured water.

I have no experience of adding a corrosion inhibitor except as part of the central heating system in my house! But probably an unnecessary complexity for a PC water loop in my experience. Temps are way less, most parts are either plastic or get replaced on timescales that are much shorter.
    All true. I wasn't advocating one of the gimmicky products, but one of the biocides. As Fraz says, the corrosion risk is probably very low, the risk of microbial growth is higher as the temperatures involved (with dissolved oxygen) is more conducive to that.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Halfords deionised (advertised as battery water maybe?) is the best value one to get, under testing it has been solid all around . Next step id recommend Mayhems fluid as he does a good job and its all filtered like crazy .

I would strongly advise against using tap water, you risk destroying the waterblocks and other components in the loop with all the added crap in there. For antibacterial dont use a silver coil as it does have some effects on the blocks etc, recommend just getting either ptnuke or mayhems biocide as they are both good (mayhems slightly better i think).

Thats it, you're ready to go .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    For antibacterial dont use a silver coil as it does have some effects on the blocks etc
    Yes, this is galvanic corrosion. Most water loops are copper blocks, with some nickel-coated brass fittings. These metals all play quite well together. Silver is a lot more "cathodic" than any of the above metals, and so doesn't play quite so well, although it's just about acceptable. Aluminium and copper should be avoided at all costs, unless you want your water loop to be a 0.6 Volt battery!

9. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Are you sure it's galvanic corrosion?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion
    Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially to another when both metals are in electrical contact and immersed in an electrolyte.
    So unless you're wiring your blocks and rad's up to your psu then it's not galvanic corrosion.
    you would get some galvanic corrosion from the water acting as both electrical conductor and electrolyte but you'd want a distinct secondary current path to get any serious galvanic corrosion.

The reasons for avoiding aluminium & copper is more down to the fact aluminium would bee used in cheap rads, so you've got a very large surface area to increase the potential of the little galvanic corrosion and the thin material of the construction.
    Also being a lower density metal means it will get eaten away faster and the copper - aluminium potential is far greater than silver - copper.

Thanks

If the silver coil is in contact with the copper of the block (ie electrical contact) then it will be galvanic corrosion. The copper and silver act as the electrodes in an electrolyte, forming a galvanic cell, and because the electrodes are touching each other, it forms a short circuit, so the electrodes will be depleted (ie corrosion) Why batteries (especially zinc carbon batteries) leak - the casing corrodes as the electrode is consumed.

You don't need an external current source.

Even if the two conductors aren't touching directly, the water will act as both a conductor and electrolyte and the silver/copper cell will self discharge, but much more slowly. (Why batteries self discharge in storage)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

But who puts a silver coil insider their block or rad? you stick it inside the res.
    Also by not adding additional additives to the de-ionised water you're minimising the catalytic effect of dissolved materials.

This is one of those things that everyone knows and repeats but seems to lack grounding in science.

Now using fittings of different metal I can see being an issue, you'd not want silver or aluminium fittings screwed into a copper block or rad, but not a coil in a plastic res, heck if they're not contacting through the metal of the case then mixing an aluminium rad and copper block should be safe.

Current flows, the electrons of the anode material flow via the direct connection into the cathode, the electrons have to come from somewhere, namely the material of the anode, causing it to break down into ion's that then travel through the fluid to the cathode being attracted by the negative charge of the cathode, which neutralises the charge on the cathode, causing it to pull more electrons from the anode . . .
    Without that direct contact the cycle cannot be started, ok, it can because we're talking fluid so it can act as both sets of connection because it is fluid, however is the resistance differentials in the dry contact and wet contact that sustain the cycle.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

That said, the wiki article reckons a 0.25V difference is acceptable, and the difference between copper and silver is 0.2V, so the risk of corrosion from having a killcoil in your loop should be low (try to make sure it stays in one of the plastic tubes ).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    But who puts a silver coil insider their block or rad? you stick it inside the res.
    Also by not adding additional additives to the de-ionised water you're minimising the catalytic effect of dissolved materials.

This is one of those things that everyone knows and repeats but seems to lack grounding in science.

Now using fittings of different metal I can see being an issue, you'd not want silver or aluminium fittings screwed into a copper block or rad, but not a coil in a plastic res, heck if they're not contacting through the metal of the case then mixing an aluminium rad and copper block should be safe.
    No argument with that, except that oxygen and carbon dioxide will dissolve into the water over time, forming carbonic acid and oxygen for the reaction, and there will still be a small galvanic current even if the coil ius not in direct contact with the other material. The effect probably isn't significant, but other biocides may be more effective anyway.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    First time I filled a water loop, I got all obsessive about whether to use distilled or deionised water, etc etc. Nowadays I just use water from a filter-jug with a bit of pt Nuke. Works just as well. Frankly, I'd probably just use tap water if I didn't happen to have a filter-jug to hand.

Definitely DO NOT USE those evil coloured pre-mixed solutions.
    If you're in a hard water area (eg. London) then absolutely do not let tap water (even if boiled) anywhere near your water loop. I used filtered water out of haste for my first build in the UK (living in London) and the tubing instantly clouded with a chalky residue inside the blocks. You know that lovely limescale you get near all your taps and wet areas? You don't want that inside your closed loop.

Distilled and biocide seems to be the best. I personally use what's let of my Feser 1 and have been for many years and haven't experienced any issues apart from staining, which doesn't really bother me. Not the recommended way for most but beats plain tap water any day.

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Are you sure it's galvanic corrosion?
    The flow of charge can occur through the water. Obviously deionised water helps massively in preventing this, but it's never going to totally stop it. And what do you think the biocide (copper sulphate) provides when dissolved in the water? A source of ions. This is why I largely don't worry too much about deionised water and use Brita filter-water instead, as I'm only going to go and add some ions to it anyway

All in all, it's exactly the same principle as a potato battery, or a "lasagne cell", etc. As long as there are some ions in the medium connecting the two metals, then you will get a movement of charge, and galvanic corrosion will occur.
    Last edited by Fraz; 10-07-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

The flow of charge in one direction happens through the water, for galvanic corrosion you need to complete the circuit usually by touching the two metals together.

Silver sounds amusingly exotic though, are some of the bacteria vampires?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information