Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a GTX 670... Any specific models or brands I should avoid?

ZaO

Question Thinking of buying a GTX 670... Any specific models or brands I should avoid?

[I have ordered the Gigabyte Windforce X3 Gtx 670 now so all is good! Thanks for the input all]

I'm thinking of buying a GTX 670 at some point in the next couple weeks...

1. I'm just wondering if there's any specific models I should avoid for any reason (maybe because they have a bad cooler on them or something like that)?

2. Are there any brands that I should avoid (maybe because their warranties suck or they have bad customer service)?

3. Also what are the reference coolers like on these things? Scan have a Palit GTX 670 for £285 so I was thinking of getting that...

Thanks all
    Last edited by ZaO; 29-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.

blueball

Re: Thinking of buying a GTX 670... Any specific models or brands I should avoid?

I got the gigabyte windforce 3 OC version from Scan and I just can't hear it. Bliss after the screaming Palit GTX570 I had

ZaO

Re: Thinking of buying a GTX 670... Any specific models or brands I should avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    I got the gigabyte windforce 3 OC version from Scan and I just can't hear it. Bliss after the screaming Palit GTX570 I had
    Yeh that would probably be my choice but I don't think I can afford that model unfortunately. I'll see what happens... Due to my budget I'm probably gonna have to get one with a reference cooler, and as that Palit one is the cheapest GTX 670 I've seen so far it's looking like the one to get.

Thanks
    • rs4847's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X570 Creator
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + Corsair H115i PRO RGB XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2D3600C18
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 1TB SSDs, 2x4TB Hitachi Deskstar NAS RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000i
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7 XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG + Ilyama ProLite E2473HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Gig1

The reference cooler fan on my EVGA GTX670 SC is locked at a maximum of 70% speed and is pretty loud, temps are around 70°C under load but it has a backplate and more memory to heat up.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by rs4847 View Post
    The reference cooler fan on my EVGA GTX670 SC is locked at a maximum of 70% speed and is pretty loud, temps are around 70°C under load but it has a backplate and more memory to heat up.
    Would you mind checking what all the other temps are in GPU-Z when the core hits 70c? I'm quite happy to let my gpu core run at around 80-85c when under load as long as the other components aren't getting to hot. Maybe I could get away with a slightly lower fan speed... Thanks.

Registered+
    Thanks

Avoid Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP because they are pretty unstable out of the box unless you're lucky and get a good one. Asus have released a new bios for them that makes them stable by dropping the multiplier so it becomes stable BUT no one should have to flash a NEW card just to get it to work.

I returned the TOP version and now have the non-TOP one and it's running solidly at 1299mhz.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post
    Avoid Asus GTX 670 DCII TOP because they are pretty unstable out of the box unless you're lucky and get a good one. Asus have released a new bios for them that makes them stable by dropping the multiplier so it becomes stable BUT no one should have to flash a NEW card just to get it to work.

I returned the TOP version and now have the non-TOP one and it's running solidly at 1299mhz.
    Ah I thought there was supposed to be something up with either the 7970 or gtx 670 version of those Asus cards. I thought I read somewhere that they were prone to overheating but wasn't sure. Maybe it's just what you said. I agree with you but it's not such a huge deal to me now that I know that. I don't mind flashing the bios Is the cooler on it actually good then?

blueball

Today only has the 2Gb Windforce for £305. Get it now, you know you want to

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/#12

Registered+
    Thanks

It was the 7970 that was overheating. They brought out a revised (V2) card to sort that out.

This cooler is really quiet. I used to have a 6970 with an Accelero Xtreme cooler on it and that was dead silent. This cooler is louder but still very quiet.

It can be heard over my case fans (fractal design 800rpm) but I have an aggressive fan profile because my bedroom gets really hot so it runs at 70% at 60 degrees.

Running Heaven 3.0 it tops out at 66 degrees which is about 73% fan speed and it can be heard but is bearable.

If I crank up my AP-15s then it can't be heard at all.

The wife also doesn't moan about "that loud thing" like she used to when I had my reference 6970 so it must be quiet.

ZaO

Today only has the 2Gb Windforce for £305. Get it now, you know you want to

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/#12
    It says it is on that page but when you click the link to it, it's just normal price :/ Either way I can't anyways because I've got to sell my 7970 first to raise the funds...

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    It says it is on that page but when you click the link to it, it's just normal price :/ Either way I can't anyways because I've got to sell my 7970 first to raise the funds...
    If you click the buy button it goes into your basket at the offer price.

ZaO

If you click the buy button it goes into your basket at the offer price.
    Oh I see. I'm gonna make sure I check that page on each visit to scan now Just a shame I don't have the funds today dammit >_<

Registered+
    Thanks

That's what credit cards are for

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post
    That's what credit cards are for
    Ha I don't have one of them. Already 100's into my overdraft so don't wanna let stuff get to out of control. It's all over when you get a credit card aint it lol...

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah it is. I got impatient when I wanted to get my 670 and I bought it on CC. Sold my 6970 the other day for £150 including the AX cooler. That guy got a cracking deal.

I'm off work at the moment due to knee surgery so that £150 is going on other bills and not paying off my CC unfortunately.

Thanks
    • rs4847's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X570 Creator
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + Corsair H115i PRO RGB XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2D3600C18
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 1TB SSDs, 2x4TB Hitachi Deskstar NAS RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000i
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7 XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG + Ilyama ProLite E2473HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Gig1

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Would you mind checking what all the other temps are in GPU-Z when the core hits 70c? I'm quite happy to let my gpu core run at around 80-85c when under load as long as the other components aren't getting to hot. Maybe I could get away with a slightly lower fan speed... Thanks.
    There are no other temp sensors, probably part of making the reference 670 cheaper.

Anyway peak Heaven 3.0 values:

Even with the noise I still prefer the reference blower cooler as I like hot air being removed from my case rather than being pushed about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information