Thread: x800 pro o/c safe gpu temps?

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks

x800 pro o/c safe gpu temps?

Been playing around with my new Sapphire x800 pro.Its got a arctic cooler and big mutha ramsinks fitted.I've been using ATI tool to oc it as I didnt get the redline cd with it.I've got the core up to 543 so far and the memory up to 551.Sitting idle now while I surf the net read emails etc the gpu temp has got to a max of 34 degs.I played an hour and a half's worth of UT2k4 with all settings on highest and even then the gpu temp was only 44 degs.(wont be playing on those high settings no more as there's that much gore and body parts flying around it's hard to see your enemies lol)No sparklies or anything.That with the latest beta cats Ravens Nest posted earlier cheers m8.What would be a safe temp not to go over.Ive read of people's gpu's being in the 70's.Ive got GC2.0 memory so what sort of speeds can i expect off that?.The only downer is that mine isnt a VIVO so it wont softmod and my bollox arent big enough for me to try hardmodding it.
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Ah another fellow geordie, anyway on with the show, just the clock the thing till it reaches a temp you are willing to run at, obviously the more heat and juice you give it the lower its lifespan can become. I have my card at 360/730 and thats a lowly gf4 ti4680 from albatron so I would imagine that the x800 would lap it up. How much gain have you got out of it so far? Seen any major improvements? As there is such a thing as to much overclocking where it starts to drop performance.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    re: "..so what sort of speeds can i expect off that?"

Well , all cards and systems are different. Best thing is just to keep testing and keep an eye on the temps. I usually find the Mother Nature bit in 3DMark03 to be a good one for showing up when you've gone too far and need to back off a bit. I'd also suggest ramping up slowly and running LONG 3DMark loops on warmer summer days to give you the most accurate tests.

When all said and done, does it really matter? By pushing right up to the edge you gain very, very little in the real-world performance over some less exterme overclocking. My 6800GT will run at 430, but I leave it set at 400: more than fast enough, cool enough, and I have peace of mind. Ditto my P4: it'll boot at 3.7, but I leave it running at 3.5 for the cooler temps and longevity. I use my PC all the time, job as well as hobby, and I'd rather go or milder overclocks with lower temps then risk meltdown or premature failure.

Nomadd

Thanks
    You can safely run it overclocked at 70c without any worry tht it will de anytime soon (there will be much better cards out before it has any chance to die...).

However the chips will overclock further with lower temps. from 70c to 40c is a big difference and will make it overclock further and more stable.

"As there is such a thing as to much overclocking where it starts to drop performance."
    Unless your going really extreme then that is 99% chance a factor of too much heat. cool it better and add more voltage and you will get more performance out of it.
    A gpu is just like a cpu, to get any decent kind of o/c you NEED to vmod it or its not worth doing. Again the more voltage you use, the better cooling you will need. Do not even think about vmods when using a stock cooler. Dont let the gpu temp get above 55c when vmodded as higher temps will affect the life of the card more, as there is more current going through the gpu.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Jeez forgot all about this post.....
    Well I haven't had much time to mess on with the card.In a week I've gone from a 9800 pro to a ti 4200 up to a x800 pro.I was suprised going from a 9800 pro to a ti 4200 as I couldn't really notice much difference in windows etc.Had to play UT2k4 and Far Cry on low settings but the ti 4200 played them well enough.It had me worried,in case the step up wasnt worth it.I was going to get a 6800 GT but they are even harder to grab second hand and I couldnt afford a new one.Even in windows with the x800 you can see the difference in quality.I'm running at 522 core/524 mem 'cos even in full load it wont go above 50c and i'm a bit poo bum of knacking up the card.
    It's amazing in far cary.Everything looks so much more real.I can play on 1280x1024 with everything on max and it runs really smooth.
    As for benchies I would score around 18,500 in 3d 2001 with my 9800 pro.but o/ced my top score was 19,991 couldnt get over 20K for the life of me.First run of 3d 2001 at stock and it hits 20,177.with the speeds I said before I'm up to 20,800.
    In 3d 03 and a 9800 pro I would get around 6,300.With the x800 at stock i got 9,100.but at the o/c speeds i get 10,600.
    In my opinion it's not really worth the extra £100's of pounds to upgrade from the 9800 pro to the x800 just yet.It's a great card.Only 12 pipelines remember.The XT PE is a different story tho.I'm just waiting for a redline cd key so i can use the sapphire o/c tool as ati tool is rather poo...
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thread Information