Thread: What should i do?

Thanks

What should i do?

Hi guys.

Soon i am going to be the proud owner of 2 radeon 9700's. The question is what should do i with them?

a) Use them, as they will run games up and coming.
    b) Sell them both and buy myself a 9800pro for £125ish?

If option a)
    - Are all 9700's 256-bit memory?
    - They are OEM, what programs do i use for finding out all the facts about them?
    - What are the differences between these and 9800's
    - Overclocking and 3dmark score?

If option b)
    - How much could i get for them?
    - Anyone interested? (form an orderly queue.)

Thanks
    Will.
    Last edited by blockers; 23-08-2004 at 07:22 PM.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    as mentioned on msn, id prolly have one if the price is right

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    I'd say sell one - you already seem to have a buyer lined up - and enjoy the other. Can't see the leap to a 9800 Pro bringing that much extra *real-world* difference. The prices of the next-gen cards are steadily falling, so keep what you have and maybe jump at a cheap 6800/X800 a few months from now (or find the extra cash sooner.) Remember, you've also newer mid-range cards from ATI and Nvidia to come to retail shortly, so there's even less reason to jump at a slower 9800 pro.

Just my take.

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blockers
    Ah-ha! :-) You didn't mention that in your first post. I think the conclusion you've come to in that thread - "I got a r9700 today... So i concluded that it cant do 3d apps" - is a bit misplaced! :-)

All I guess I could suggest is make sure you have the latest BIOS/drivers installed for your mobo. Also, have a look at the BIOS settings (AGP size, etc.) and search a few forums for other user experiences with you mobo/9700 mix. Of course, there's always the option of doing a reformat/reinstall of Windows.

Back to this post (i.e. if you do sell both 9700s), I still think you'd be better of scraping the extra cash together for something beyond the 9800 - i.e. a 6800NU, as they are going cheap. Ditto my comments about the newer mid range cards coming in soon. Still, if you can find a 9800 Pro cheap second-hand, that would also be sweet - although you might end up with exactly the same ATI-related problems you have at present (as I'd assume you'd be using the same drivers?)

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Well i didnt have the 2 cards at time of posting, and recieved one today, should be getting the other soon.

Im going to check bios's now

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blockers
    Well i didnt have the 2 cards at time of posting, and recieved one today, should be getting the other soon.

Im going to check bios's now
    I don't think I phrased it too well, as I also meant to say the mobo chipset drivers. Seen quite a few cases of this causing problems, as well as conflicts in the actual bios settings I mentioned. If I were you, I'd update the mobo BIOS and mobo chipset drivers first, then do the graphics card drivers. Then have a tinker with AGP-related BIOS settings. No joy on that lot, then maybe a Windows clean-install (oh, I'm assuming that your Windows install is patched and up-to-date too; if not, do it as well.) After that, just buy an Nvidia! :-) (Cue flames! :-))

Nomadd

Thread Information