Thread: ok, 6800 ultra.. can my system power it?

Thanks

ok, 6800 ultra.. can my system power it?

Well I just got a email! My card will be here wensday! So I now have to decide how to power it! Here is my power suply...

http://www.fspgroupusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=80

Ok, now I'm suposed to use two seperate leads... With nothing conected to them! Well lets see... I have 2 raptors, a 160 giger and a 40 giger... 2 optical... a Jet 4 and 2 120mm case fans all on 12 volt rails! I all ready am using "Y" spliters to power my two raptors! So, Should I move all this to 1 rail? that would be 4 Hds, 2 optical, 3 fans... Any Ideas on how to balence this out? Perhaps a raptor on each lead to the Ultra?

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    I'd say at 530W it should easily power it. I'd stick the graphics on 1 rail (use a y splitter) and then use the remaining connectors on the rest of your kit. Test it. If you hit problems, try switching it around. My 6800GT is overclocked to Ultra speeds and runs just fine on it's single connector from 1 rail on my Enermax 365W PSU.

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    The individual power cables/molex connectors are not rails...

Anyway, the normal load on the +12v rail for the PSU is 8 amps and te MAX is 18. I think you are going to be cutting it close. The 6800Ultra can use about 5 amps on the +12v all by itself. Combined with all the other stuff in your systemand your processor that is going to get very near 18 amps when the system is at full load.

As for balancing it out, I don't think you can. I would get a PSU with more molex connectors and higher amperage on the +12v line. Or, you could use 2 PSUs, if you have some where to put the second one.

If you have to, put one fan or hardrive on each connector going into the 6800Ultra and try it. If you have problem, you'll have a good idea why.
    Last edited by oralpain; 18-10-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oralpain
    The individual power cables/molex connectors are not rails...

Anyway, the normal load on the +12v rail for the PSU is 8 amps and te MAX is 18. I think you are going to be cutting it close. The 6800Ultra can use about 5 amps on the +12v all by itself. Combined with all the other stuff in your systemand your processor that is going to get very near 18 amps when the system is at full load.

As for balancing it out, I don't think you can. I would get a PSU with more molex connectors and higher amperage on the +12v line. Or, you could use 2 PSUs, if you have some where to put the second one.

If you have to, put one fan or hardrive on each connector going into the 6800Ultra and try it. If you have problem, you'll have a good idea why.

due to the cable lenght I'm going to have to put a raptor on each conector with the ultra... I do have another lead but it only has one serial power conector! If I could find a spliter for that I could power the two raptors seperate! I also can remove the 40 gig hard drive... it only has a experimental windows on it...

Thanks
    Can your PSU power your system with the 6800 Ultra? In my opinion, no.

What you can do is go over to http://takaman.jp/D/?english and list all the components your PC has. If that site doesn't list your specific component, you'll have to do a little research, and find out what the component's draw on each voltage rail is. Once you have everything listed, take a look at the required power for each rail at the bottom of the site. Having slapped in some generic values myself (P4 3GHz 533FSB, 2x 512MB DDR400, 40GB & 180GB harddrives), it's already reading 14.1A on the +12v rail. Add to that the estimated 5A that the 6800 Ultra can draw, and you're already over your PSU's maximum rating without even looking at the Raptors.

The reason the say you must run the 6800 Ultra alone on the two power leads has to do with the amount of current it draws. If it were run with other devices on the same leads, the amps going through the leads may be high enough to cause the leads to melt (What with internal resistence and such).

Lastly, for comparison sake, my PC Power&Cooling TurboCool 510W delivers 32A on the +12v rail.
    Last edited by eldren; 18-10-2004 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks
    oh, and my jet 4 uses .55 amps! No wonder I fryed my fan controler! If this is corect I'm all ready over the maximum!

Now if my powersupy fails I will have a choice betwen these two.... Which one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...101-207&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...104-150&DEPA=0

Last edited by myth; 18-10-2004 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    I'd go with the OCZ 420W, even though my OCZ RAM is rather carp.
    $75 for a 550W PSU seems a bit cheap to me, in the same way that 550W Qtecs are cheap. Though this opinion may be too late, given your updated sig.

Thanks
    $100 Nuff said

Thanks
    To be honest I think the OCZ PSU is overpriced/overkill, unless you want its specific features.
    Decent priced are the new Enermax range or even a aTagan 480W.
    hexus rating
    ebay rating

AMD A8-5400K 3.6@4.0| ASRock A75M| HD7750| 4GB DDR3| Lian Li| Tagan 480W| 2405FPW TFT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_owen_uk
    I have one of those. They're great, except for the voltage sensing. Mine runs at about 13 volts. Problem is, by the looks, the sensing cables don't go right to the motherboard. I need to investigate that though.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Nice link eldren
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    While this is off topic.... But I was wondering what BFG does different from the rest! So after much reading I came acros a site that say...

"The first thing they do is take off the reference heatsink, which uses thermal pads, and clean the cooler, GPU and RAM. They then use Artic Silver Thermal compound and reattach the heatsink"

Well, thats gona save me some time! I was wondering which is better? The stock heatsink or the NV 5? I'm not going to pay 28 dollars for a NV 5 if its not signifintly better!

Medic... I need a medic.. Donny John's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Donny John's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-970A-DS3
      • CPU:
      • FX 6300 piledriver
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Ballistix (dual channel)
      • Storage:
      • M4 128Gb + 36Gb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7770 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Generic
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ult. SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • CTX 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Some crap from Sky.
    Anoracs If it don't pwer it get a more powerful ne, I recommend teh q-tec 650w
    Last edited by Donny John; 24-10-2004 at 12:26 AM.
    <sig removed by Agent - You should know better mate! >

I know where you spawn!

Illegitimi non carborundum
    Pronounced: NO-lee NO-teece per-mee-TAIR-ray TEH tuh-RAIR-ay!

Thanks
    well, we'll all find out this wensday!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    While this is off topic.... But I was wondering what BFG does different from the rest! So after much reading I came acros a site that say...

"The first thing they do is take off the reference heatsink, which uses thermal pads, and clean the cooler, GPU and RAM. They then use Artic Silver Thermal compound and reattach the heatsink"
    The first thing about that quote is.... its BS.

I installed a nv68 on my bfg 6800 ultra so I should know, and it may have had as5 on the gpu but not the ram.

Thread Information