Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: graphics card for £250

Thanks
    Anytime you want to make a point, feel free.
    I can get links for anti-ATi posts / sites off google. Doesnt make my "point" any more valid does it ?

If you think somone should go Ati over Nvidia, FINE, just explain why....Answering with "google" indicates one of 2 things :
    1) Your an ATi fanboy that has the inability to back-up what he's saying.
    2) Your just lazy and cant be bothered to back-up your answer.

Either way, its not helping the thread starter.
    If its that easy to get the links off google, post them : it helps everyone, and shows you know what your talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    1) Your an ATi fanboy that has the inability to back-up what he's saying.
    2) Your just lazy and cant be bothered to back-up your answer.
    Those are your supositions. They could wildly accurate or wildly inaccurate.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 15-12-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28
    Those are your supositions.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    So, like i said, anytime you want to make a point in the Ati vs NV battle, feel free.

Banned
    Thanks
    Unlike you, I wouldn't refer to it as a "battle" - more as competition between two companies in the same market segment.

Personally, I'd go for a X800. Something inherently nasty about Nvidia.

If you ask me again, I'd be happy to repeat that again. Just for your benefit
    Last edited by davidstone28; 15-12-2004 at 03:34 PM.

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    that is your personal opinion davidstone and one that i suspect is not shared by anyone other than ATI fanboys. You can reccomend that card if you want but the fact is that we are right and you are wrong, nanananaha. here are some points for and against the 68000gt so you can make you own mind up.
    For
    • Shader model 3- as the next edition of direct x is not expected until longhorn this development will become incresingy important in games- The ati series has no support for this but only the inferior shader model 2.0. This is not much of a problem now but in the future it will make the card less future proof and less graphicaly splendifourous
    • Better benchmarks... the 6800gt is a faster card than the x800 pro... you CANNNOT dispute this all the benches except HL" prove this and this is because HL2 was developed with ATI
    • Drivers- the geforece 6 series is a compleatly new core which means it still has to have optimised drivers- the ati card is a revison of the 9800 line which means that it will not benifit thatt much in the future
    • Overclocking- the 6800gt is a great card for overclocking that can be easily clocked in most cases to ultra levels. the ATI X800 pro is limited by its 12 piplines which means that unless you shell out for an expensive vivo version and do a complicated bios flash thingie you will never get such good oc'ing performance

Against
    You are more likley to get a faulty 6800gt than an x800 and have to RMA it Howver you are more likley to get a 6800gt full stop. and you can find them cheaper than x800 pro's

Thanks
    Unlike you, I wouldn't refer to it as a "battle" - more as competition between two companies in the same market segment.
    They are both battling for market share, just because you choose to use different words than me, it doesnt change that

Personally, I'd go for a X800. Something inherently nasty about Nvidia.

If you ask me again, I'd be happy to repeat that again. Just for your benefit
    Just for your benefit, ill make an exception. Id say you fit into both of my points above

Alterion : Posts like yours are informative, the key to a good debate, and ultimately the kinda posts which will help in the decision of which card for the thread starter (irrelivent of which company they are backing). Top stuff !

Thanks
    Google

Your search - "nvidia inherently nasty" - did not match any documents.
    Your search - "nvidia are inherently nasty" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    - Try different keywords.
    - Try more general keywords.

Also, you can try Google Answers for expert help with your search.

It would be easier if you just state why you think this about nvidia. I can only guess what you mean.

Cheers

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Personally i think theres something inherently nasty about fanboys

In this case it has to be a 6800gt. Buy a new one (good make too) from the pcw component centre for £240- excellent buy. Easily the best card you will get for £250 or less at the moment

You may even pick up a second hand one for a bit less

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    Way to make friends, David.

Getting back to the point, the BFG 6800GT from PCW is easily the best card in your budget.

Thanks
    does anyone know of how good Asus' 6800gt 256mb is? Seems to have suddenly come out of the blue, any word on this?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS
    Way to make friends, David.

Getting back to the point, the BFG 6800GT from PCW is easily the best card in your budget.
    I've had system administrators throw laptops across the room upon reading some of my reports. The peversely amusing thing about IT and business systems analysis, is that you can be wonderfully objective if a client's IT systems are fundamentally flawed. The not so beautiful thing about it, is that the poor sod(s) who have spent years developing fundamentally flawed systems inevtiably take it personally. I guess some of you lot are the same when it comes to any sort of criticism of the company behind a product that you own. Analysis of Nvidia and ATI's business practices, marketing and products isn't that different. But that wasn't the main purpose of the original post.

I haven't personally owned an ATI card since the Rage Fury. Currently have a 6800 vanilla, GT and an integrated Intel chipset. Don't have any emotional attachment to any product, and not bothered in the slightest if anyone were go say that any product that I owned was utter shyte. It's just 'stuff'. Bit like owning a fridge.

Still, I am of the view that there is something inherently nasty about Nvida. And yeah, generally I'm too lazy to explain.... well, to you lot anyway But here's a clue - have a look here (1600x1200) - its an analysis of part of the code from the Nvidia graphics drivers - think: marketing, Nvidia, hardware decoding, no way to manage a product release, big industry no-no, 6800, marketing guys writing cheques the product and development guys can't cash.

Anyone's who reads the news, or is clued up should be able to pick it up fairly easily. If you're stuck, I'll post another clue. Maybe some of you lot need to be broadening your horizens instead comparing bling bling marks
    Last edited by davidstone28; 16-12-2004 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    and maybe you should quit while you are behind and face facts mate the 6800gt is a better graphics card than the x800pro i don't give a ***** about code anylsis; I switched off when i saw you had winamp covering the top of the taskbar and that there was a box marked click here if you are having problems with your TV tuner.... real in depth code anlysis there... The fact is that even if everything that you say is true IT STILL DOSN'T MATTER this is a thread about the best GPU for £250 and the best GPU for £250 IS THE 6800gt NO ARGUMENT. READ MY FIRST POST FOR SOME REASONS but if you are too lazy to find benchmarks i'll find one for you:here. It seems that every time you lose you resort to calling people chav's as you know you have no real argument....

EDIT decided to remove this bit now i have calmed down a bit
    Last edited by alterion; 16-12-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry I just realised my last post was completely off top.

I've seen the 6800GT at dabs & PcwComponentCentre for £250

You can get email notification from PCW when they get stock of a particular item if you ask their customer support. They don't do pre-orders and if you're not quick the prices can go up after they've sold a few.

I noticed a £30 price drop on the Galaxy 6800GT at microdirect to £270 which has the much quieter glacier artic cooler fitted as standard. If you are concerned about the noise then the extra £20 may be worth it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alterion

EDIT decided to remove this bit now i have calmed down a bit
    I read the pre-edited version, and have to wonder if you have some latent anger / rage issues, if you can lose control like that. You need to sort it out mate, because its going to crop up again - outside of these forums - and its going to be self-defeating for you in the long run.

Thanks
    LOL... i'm a peaceful person in real life ... sorry if i was a wee bit harsh on you
    at least you admit you were wrong

Banned
    Thanks
    Like I said before - personally, I would go for a X800. I haven't changed my views on that.

I used to be a real hot-head when I younger, but age and experience teaches you that raging against everyone that disagrees with you, is just self-defeating in the long run. Self-respect (and respect for others as well) should entail being secure enough in yourself to accept that everyone is different, and just because they might look different, speak different, or express different views to your own, doesn’t mean that they represent a threat to you.

I really don’t want to pull this thread any more off-topic, but I would like to send you article which I think you will find interesting and useful. Can you PM me?
    Last edited by davidstone28; 16-12-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Thread Information