• PSU:
      • Corsair CXM 600watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster N200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home

Upgrading a Radeon HD7850- four questions

Hello

After the Steam Summer Sale, in which my Steam Library increased a lot with new games, my decision to buy the 1gb version of the HD7850 is in some games now starting to feel like it may have been a bit of a false economy. For example, playing Grid Autosport with the HD texture pack feels like I'm getting stuttering on ultra, presumably due to the extra memory use with the HD textures, as before I was able to run the game on Ultra easily with no stuttering. Rome 2 also gets a lot of out of memory errors, and I think my flight sims would appreciate the extra memory too.

I was thinking of upgrading to a graphics card at around the £150 mark, either the GTX 960 (probably the Gigabyte G1 Gaming version) or the Radeon R9 380 (probably a Sapphire card).

Firstly, in your opinion is it worth upgrading what I have at the moment?

If so, which one would be the better buy in your opinion?

Can I find something nearly as good or as good for less money?

Are the 4gb versions worth the extra £20-30?

The games I think I play mostly at the moment are Rome 2, Grid Autosport, War Thunder, IL2 Cliffs of Dover, DCS, CS:GO and Verdun. I run my games on a single 1080p monitor.

I have a 600 watt power supply so power draw isn't an issue really I want the best bang for buck I can get.

Thank you for the help

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading a Radeon HD7850- four questions

You might be getting stuttering because of your low vram being capped out, just a guess.

The HD7850 is a decent card, but if you have the cash and you want to upgrade, then I would do so just because it's a little outdated (aslong as your current CPU wouldn't bottleneck it too much).

I would prefer the 380, the AMD cards of the same tier pricing tends to bench a bit better (watch?v=NTpNZEW31G0) at the lower spectrum of pricing.

The 960 and AMD equivalents are pretty much the apex of that price range, unless you can afford an R9 290, it's pretty much the best bang for your buck.

4GB will definitely be convenient for you I think since you mention that you'll be playing on a 1080p monitor.

Thanks

Re: Upgrading a Radeon HD7850- four questions

I would check your video memory use first, not point in spending money if the bottleneck is elsewhere.

Thread Information