Thread: Top Quality 17"LCD or 19"CRT?

Thanks

Top Quality 17"LCD or 19"CRT?

I got £300 to spend on a new monitor. My current monitor a 17" compaq V70 which I have had for 7 years is coming to the end of its life. It is just not sitting well next to my pc. I am not up on the monitor market as I am cpu/Graphics so I am reluctant to just go out and buy one. I also know that I am a new user to this forum so I may not get as many responses but it all counts.

What is the best I can get. My budget is £300 and I know that after xmas the prices will drop.

Can anyone help me out? I have been looking at these so far.

This has a response time of 10 seconds but I have been reading that it isnt all about response times so Im quite confused.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=154633
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=153525

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=18434

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up
    id personally go 4 a tft, though which one, im not sure wat id choose personally...

Thanks
    I would prefer a TFT they look stylish and aren't as big and I could mount it on my wall and make use of the dvi connector on my 6800ultra

Banned
    Thanks
    10ms? No TFT has a response time of 10ms. Don't believe the marketing guff.

All of those monitors that you've linked to are going to be pretty good to excellent in terms of peformance. If you can live with the big size, I'd recommend the CRT because of its Diamondtron aperture grill technology - picture quality and colour reproduction is absolutely superb - a world away from anything that a TFT can produce and far better than the shadow mask technology in your Compaq. If you're into fast motion gaming in a big way, the Iiyama CRT is also going to be superior to the TFTs.

If you need to save on deskspace, either of those TFTs will probably be fine. I used to have the Iiyama E431 which I think has now been superceded by the E435 you've linked to. The E431 was okay - not great, but okay - though other people seem to like it more than I do.

The Viewsonic is supposedly better in terms of picture quality if you go by reviews on the web and the CNET user reviews. I was considering getting one a few months ago - the price then was £400.

On a personal, I'm not convinced 17" TFTs are the ideal size if you're running them at a native resolution of 1280x1024. Text is pretty small and not compensated by adjusting default fonts sizes in IE etc. 19" is more ideal in my view unless you have the TFT very close to you ie similar to a notebook screen.

There are a couple of other threads on the graphics forum about TFTs. It would be worth having a browse of those as well, before you decide, as well as doing the usual research.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 26-12-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks
    Ye i was reading the other stuff as well. I dont mind the highest resolution at 1280x1024 because i like the look whilst gaming at 1280x1024 and also with 4aa and sometimes 8xaa.

Im sure it isnt false advertising with it being 10ms that was the only reasing choosing it.

I like the look of the viewsonic because i heard good things about them and also the samsungs seem to be quite good at komplett.

Thread Information