Thread: GPU Upgrade for 2160P

Thanks

GPU Upgrade for 2160P

Hi. At the moment i only have Radeon 7950 with a dell 1080P monitor. Also only have an i5 4th gen clocked at 4.4GHz with 16GB ram, and 650W psu.
    Want to upgrade to a 4K monitor for videos and maybe try VR. Would like to play games at 2160P but if it is not possible don't mind playing at 1440P with high detail refresh rate.
    Is there any HBM2 Desktop graphics going to be available before christmas this year. If not is there any good indication that they will definately appear next year. Maybe i could wait another year. If not would a single Polaris or Pascal with GDDR5X be good enough. Would i need to upgrade psu or cpu/memory to get this running well. If i have to upgrade cpu then would 4th gen i7 be ok. Thanks for any input.

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

Thumbs up Re: GPU Upgrade for 2160P

I would wait to see whats released into the Market before making a decision........... Also read a few reviews on all the new GPUs that are being released

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: GPU Upgrade for 2160P

Quote Originally Posted by Remus8 View Post
    Is there any HBM2 Desktop graphics going to be available before christmas this year.
    Almost certainly not.

If not is there any good indication that they will definately appear next year.
    No-one has announced any HBM2 desktop products yet, but the roadmaps indicate it's quite likely they will appear at some point next year. The closest to an announcement is the Vega chip 'name', but it's not a product really.

Maybe i could wait another year. If not would a single Polaris or Pascal with GDDR5X be good enough.
    We're not even sure they will come with GDDR5X this year - perhaps they will at the end of the year? But it will depend on how demanding the games are that you're playing. 4K is very demanding of some kinds of game engines, but others might be fine. Wait and see.

Would i need to upgrade psu or cpu/memory to get this running well.
    No, existing should be OK.

Thanks

Thanks for your input. It is as i feared. We just have to wait and see. Its just that the waiting game seems to stretch for ages. Especially with early announcements with no detail of the product or release dates. Then when release dates are grudgingly given, there are delays or a product is released with problems and a new revision has to be brought out with fixes. I guess i might go for a small upgrade on gpu only and try to wait 1.5 - 2 years for HBM2 to be fully availabe, then also will have an idea if 4K gaming is possibble on single gpu and if VR is here to stay.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jamiehard1989's system
      • Motherboard:
      • z87x-oc
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690k
      • Memory:
      • hyperx 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 500gb evo 850, 2tb hd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ocz zx 850w
      • Case:
      • nzxt phantom 630
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • lg 42" tv (vsr 1440p)

I see if you could pick up a 390x or a 980 cheap or even a fury non x, which will all cost less than £350, no point in spending £500 on a fury x or a 980 ti.

New cards are ment to be coming around summer time, but have no dates yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered+
    Thanks

Another topic that has become moot since the announcements over the weekend. Hopefully, there will now be sizeable discounts on the existing line-up.

Thanks

It seems the GTX 1080 with GDR5X can max out 1440P and run the new Doom on High settings at 4K. There is a rumor that AMD will bring forward the launch of the Vega GPU with HBM2 to this year around October/November. This could be due the performance seen from the GTX 1080. I guess i will try to hold off for another 6 months and see how good HBM2 equipped cards are before deciding on an upgrade.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Remus8 View Post
    It seems the GTX 1080 with GDR5X can max out 1440P and run the new Doom on High settings at 4K. There is a rumor that AMD will bring forward the launch of the Vega GPU with HBM2 to this year around October/November. This could be due the performance seen from the GTX 1080. I guess i will try to hold off for another 6 months and see how good HBM2 equipped cards are before deciding on an upgrade.
    In this case, the longer you can wait the better, but as always with these things, there is always something better just around the corner.

Even if AMD do bring the release of Vega forward, I very much doubt they will be in the hands of most customers until the start of next year... its always the way.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 19-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Isn't it always the case of the longer you wait the more performance you get? The problem is, you have to pull the trigger so to speak at sometime...

@Remus8, AMD are making an announcement on June 1st, so we should know more about what's going on in the red corner.

Interesting and (hopefully) exciting times in the graphics card industry at the moment, which is usually the case whenever a major architecture change takes place. I am so keeping my fingers crossed for AMD, though.

It's sad that in these times there is only one and the same company to counter both GPU and CPU behemoths Nvidia and Intel. I wish there was more competition...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by RapsterUK View Post
    Isn't it always the case of the longer you wait the more performance you get? The problem is, you have to pull the trigger so to speak at sometime...
    But you can't pull the trigger on a 1080 yet. I see there are prices listed, Scan have £619, but nothing to actually buy: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...force-gtx-1080

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    But you can't pull the trigger on a 1080 yet. I see there are prices listed, Scan have £619, but nothing to actually buy: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...force-gtx-1080
    A friend of mine (here in UK) purchased an FE from Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...gtx1080series/). They're out of stock at the moment, unsurprisingly. The FE was always going to be low supply/high demand and the third part cards are still a couple of weeks away from retailers.

Me? I'll wait for the third party cards. The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition interests me, but I'll more than likely wait for the GTX 1070 version of the Gigabyte Xtreme Edition.

Thread Information