Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gtx 1080 Xtreme boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been idle few days.

Banned
    Thanks

Gtx 1080 Xtreme boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been idle few days.

Get weird issue with my Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme. Happened just once, but i dont know why.
    I left idle my pc for i think 4 days. When i back i run some application and core clock stuck on 1275mhz instead of 1990mhz like always. Memory clock was not affected. Gpuz reports PWR limit at 32%. Reboot pc fixes.

Any experience this issue? Card is OC by factory only.

I am sure i have good psu. Corsair 750 W

All sleep options are turned OFF. All power management options in Windows set to Balanced ( default ). In on nvidia is adaptive ( default ).

There are some peoples experiencing the same issue on geforce forum.

Screen:

Beside that, card is stable on full load,no crashes,no freezes.

Is this something with my card? : (((

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Gtx 1080 Xtreme boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been idle few days.

Mostly likely software. Windows default power management settings still attempt quite a few software saving tricks and it's likely one of these didn't play nicely with the GPU driver, or the GPU driver didn't come out of idle (adaptive) all that well. Both windows and the GPU stuff is new, so you could give them some time to mature, or if you need it you might want to disable all the power saving modes in windows and the GPU. Otherwise since it's a one-off just reboot and carry on.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Gtx 1080 Xtreme boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been idle few days.

Ah i forgot. Somebody said to me that issue is because graphic driver propably crashed.
    But it didnt. I have 0 driver crashes. And normally the event log will show the drive crash report which in my case it doesn't show. So its not related to driver crash.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by kik23 View Post
    Ah i forgot. Somebody said to me that issue is because graphic driver propably crashed.
    But it didnt. I have 0 driver crashes. And normally the event log will show the drive crash report which in my case it doesn't show. So its not related to driver crash.
    I didn't suggest it's related to a driver crash, merely software issues, which might not have resulted in a crash.

Banned
    Thanks

So propably its not caused by GPU itself? Not reason to Rma card?
    It happened once to me.

There are several raports with peoples with the same issue on GEforce forum.

Banned
    Thanks

Also i had only GPUZ and fraps opened thats all. I dont have installed overclocking utilities like Afterburner or Precision. So i think this was not caused by application.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

There are several raports with peoples with the same issue on GEforce forum.
    And I expect 100% of them are using Windows together with nVidia drivers so nothing is ruling out software.

Thanks

Has anyone from Nvidia picked up the issue? If everyone with the issues submits a ticket/bug report they might look into it. I'm with kalniel that it looks very much like a software thing; either a bug in the driver or its interaction with Windows, either way Nvidia need to know.

Out of interest though, have you tried closing every program to see if it changes? A few years ago I saw a load of cards getting stuck in 2D clocks if e.g. a Youtube video was open/paused in the background.

Banned
    Thanks

Only had GPUZ, FRAPS opened during this. No other apps . No overclocking utilities like Afterburner or Precision.

Banned
    Thanks

Somebody said this to me:"Improper overclocking causes these symptoms.

My card usually locks into a non-performance power state after too many hardware faults due to overclocking. Like others have said, a reboot will solve it, but double-check the stability of your overclocking.

The driver will not necessarily throw you a TDR ("Display driver stopped responding") error, either. The overclock can fail silently after X errors."

So it can be related to my card ?

Thanks

Is it overclocked?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Is it overclocked?
    From the OP:

... Card is OC by factory only. ...
    So it doesn't look like it, or at least if it is, not in a way that will void warranty cover.

Banned
    Thanks

From the otherside i dont had driver crash. Any some peoples with Gtx 1070/1080 experiencing the same issue when lefting idle pc some time. So i am confused now. Is this reason to RMA card if it happen once or ignore it?

My card is OC by factory only.

Thanks

In which case
    So it can be related to my card ?
    Possibly, but I don't think it's the most likely cause. It's quite rare for CPUs or GPUs to be unstable at stock clocks, even factory OC.

I'd try to get in touch with Nvidia - it wouldn't be fun to RMA the card and either get one back and have the same problem, or have the RMA rejected as 'no fault found' and possibly get charged. Having said that, it might be worth notifying the retailer (e.g. though tech support) in case they have any suggestions, and to make them aware of the issue in case you have to RMA it later.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I suspect it's a driver bug, tbh, and may be fixed eventually - it's just jogged my memory on an issue AMD cards had when they first introduced Zero Core: some cards wouldn't come out of their low power state after sleep. I think that only applied to cards with manual (i.e. non-factory) overclocks, but it's a similar issue that was (I think) fixed in a driver update.

Given how new the 10-series are I'd be amazed if there wasn't something similar, where the card gets locked into a lower power state after waking from sleep. Chances are it only affects in under certain conditions, so might be difficult for nvidia to reproduce. If the card performs normally after a re-start, then I wouldn't worry about it, and perhap think about turning your computer off when you've finished using it rather than leaving it to idle/sleep?

Banned
    Thanks

It happened once after long idling my pc.And then core clock throttle from 1990mhz to 1285mhz. Restart pc fixed. And this issue never comes back. I tried to reproduce issue by idling pc for 3 days and nothing.

Card on full boost is stable, no crashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information