Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I Insane?? 2 * 6800 ULtra's SLI ??

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    I'd disagree on the Quadros. Unless you're doing high-end CAD work or similar then a normal gaming card is more what you need. I use a gf4 at work (and I'm a 3d games programmer) - used to have a fx5900 but it blew up. You don't need SLI cards for anything except games playing though, a single 6800U will do just as well for any 3d work.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    Yay! go for it. It's what most of us would do had we the money.
    I've got the money, and I'm getting an office rig.

PC Gaming is so tedious at the moment, I'd rather read a book by Jilly Cooper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    I've got the money, and I'm getting an office rig.

PC Gaming is so tedious at the moment, I'd rather read a book by Jilly Cooper.
    [off topic]
    Is that why we can't get an update in the "Building A Gaming Rig - A Living(?) Document." thread?
    [/off topic]

Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Thanks
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home
    well sed allen, i totally agree,
    you need to plan and be prepared, constantly upgrading is unneccessary

pre
    Thanks
    I dont really see your 3 reasons as being good reasons for doing so..

1.) Save money in the long run.
    Buy a cheaper cards. Cheaper technology always depreciates less than top-end.
    2.)Have a REALLY good pc

Your pc is only as good as current technology. By that justification you will probably be spending money when dual cores or ATI dual card technology arrive. Would you be happy settling with your current dual 6800u when there are 7th gen dual GPU cards and your PC isnt quite as good as it used to be? If not then are you really saving money? Upgrading is like the top of the hill - things can only go down.

3.)Be able to play and record games at the same time at high resolution settings
    For games recording will nearly always be limited by disk access - especially with games with no native access thus which rely on fraps.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon-E-Durex
    I'm in the third year at uni and don't have a student loan, got one the first year, relised i didn't need the money and put it all in an ISA, so buying the best hardware has nothing to do with getting myself in more debut, my uni course is in software engineering managmentm hance next year the only thing i need is a computer, so having a fast computer were i don't have to waste hours for programs to load, compile, process is quite a big priotiy, as for books etc all i need is a complier, the net and the uni library
    If you need a computer for compiling software you still won't need a brute of a thing unless your going to be debugging KDE or some other rediculously large mass of code, even compiling a kernel on my Athlon 3200+ takes no time at all, and I didn't spend much on it. Compiling 1mb of code in VC++ shouldn't take any longer than a minute. Are you going to create projects all by yourself of a greater size than that?

It might be more understandable if you were studying 3D modeling and art where you need your computer to render large and lenghty scenes in 3D Studio Max and you have a habbit of leaving things until the last minute (at that point a prescott would probibly have been better a choice for such a task).

Quatros are only any good for 3D CAD applications and 3D Studio max, these applications utilise the GPU during rendering to deal with the more complex 3D math, leaving the processor to deal with the simpiler mass of FP math.

In terms of games.. they are pointless, they do not reflect an end users typical system.. I'm not sure about how they perform with games, since no reviewer is stupid enough to confuse the Quatro as a gamers card (maybe there is one, but i havn't looked all that hard).

People seem to always go overkill with their machines simply because they do not know any better, how many people buy an ace P4 3.6Ghz Prescott, 1Gb of RAM, and 300Gb HD type OEM machine from Dixons and PC World, only to only do the odd letter in Word, a bit of solitare and browsing p0rn or some other kind of crap?..
    OK, so you have a more serious use to it, but I still think your rig is overkill for your course by a long shot..
    If you want to record your game session then fast file i/o is the important factor, creating a video stream is realitivly easy work, its dumping it onto disk(s) which is more intensive. Especially while the computer needs to pagefile code and textures, while loading new textures and meshes.

At that, you shouldn't even bother recording sessions at a resolution higher than 800x600 in the first place, for 2 reasons:
    1) It will eat ALL your disk space
    2) You will need to reencode the video stream, higher resolution means more crap the MPEG4 codec you use needs to process and discard if your keeping it on your hard drive, if you plan on burning it as a DVD Video for backup, DVD players wont be compatible with that high a resolusion, and you would be hardly able to store 1 hour of data on the disk in the first place.

All it amounts to is pure waste.
    Last edited by aidanjt; 30-01-2005 at 11:13 AM.

derthballs
    Its not worth the money - unless you have an apple 30" display, your not gonna really see any difference on a regular monitor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information