Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

Thanks

Re: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

I think due to world crisis, prices are just gonna be on a supply and demand and people are taking advantage of it. You need it and its this price you pay it to get it.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Seems the time is finally here (ish).

So now watching prices tumble and the best value worse hit so far is a 5700xt for around £230, to say I sold my Vega56 for £475 thats not bad going.

With that my R9 290 is still doing very well with nimez drivers and prices are still dropping so i will wait.

Thanks

Bear in mind there's a risk to waiting too long, which is that prices of most things are rising and the currency is .... volatile.

Sometimes, if you know you need to buy, it's worth buying when prices are 'good enough' rather than waiting for rock bottom and missing the proverbial boat. If I wasn't up to my ass-feathers at thr moment, I'd have jumped in, rather than risk watching the boat sailing off without me.

Just sayin'.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

4. Received thanks from:

keef247 (20-06-2022)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Bear in mind there's a risk to waiting too long, which is that prices of most things are rising and the currency is .... volatile.

Sometimes, if you know you need to buy, it's worth buying when prices are 'good enough' rather than waiting for rock bottom and missing the proverbial boat. If I wasn't up to my ass-feathers at thr moment, I'd have jumped in, rather than risk watching the boat sailing off without me.

Just sayin'.
    As shown in the recent Nvidia thread: right now you can just go buy FE cards so I think it is fair to say that RRP cards are now back. Those things used to sell out in minutes. The question is whether there will be any oversupply like there was after the last crypto crash where you could buy an RX570 for about £140 for ages.

OFC just what Nvidia think the 4000 series RRP should be in a few months is another loaded question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    As shown in the recent Nvidia thread: right now you can just go buy FE cards so I think it is fair to say that RRP cards are now back. Those things used to sell out in minutes. The question is whether there will be any oversupply like there was after the last crypto crash where you could buy an RX570 for about £140 for ages.

OFC just what Nvidia think the 4000 series RRP should be in a few months is another loaded question.
    I'd say sort-of back. Or, back, some of the time. Which is, of course, loads better than the last couple of years.

The only rason I didn't grab a 3080 FE, and yet might if/when they show up again, was due to uncertainty about whether or not to replace the Surface Pro, which will put a large dent in the PC-buying fund. Right now, I'm tending towards "no" on the S-Pro option. I think the gaming laptop, while less convenient in some (ergonomic) ways, will do in those ways, and is way better in others. If so, the PC is back on, imminently. I'm just not quite there yet. But if those cards had come in a few days, or a week, earlier ....
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Just sayin'.
    I agree, I would say it mostly depends which part of the market your are looking at as I think older cards are less likely to rocket back up and are also less desirable to many as the newer cards come down in price.

So if I settle right now it could be a vega 64 which should just keep getting cheaper, but I am also looking at a 5700xt or 6600xt which seem rather even, demand is still high for anything nvidia

Seem there is currently a great miner dump of 6600xt cards happening on ebay, some admit mining others just say used but have 3+ cards.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Nvidia seem to have missed their sales targets by $1.4B, though I'm not clear how much of that is stuff that has already sold at lower than the extortion prices they were getting away with, and how much is down to unsold stock.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/...y-1-4-billion/

OFC Nvidia themselves aren't mentioning crypto...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    I agree, I would say it mostly depends which part of the market your are looking at as I think older cards are less likely to rocket back up and are also less desirable to many as the newer cards come down in price.

So if I settle right now it could be a vega 64 which should just keep getting cheaper, but I am also looking at a 5700xt or 6600xt which seem rather even, demand is still high for anything nvidia

Seem there is currently a great miner dump of 6600xt cards happening on ebay, some admit mining others just say used but have 3+ cards.
    Yup. There's a couple of issues inherent in all that. Firstly, the older a card series the less likely (by miles) vNivia or card partners are to have new stock. RTX-20xx brand new? I very much doubt it. And of course, while there is an effect, to a point, between current cards and previous gen, it's very limited. And different to that between just-launched or not yet launched 'next' gen, and AMD/nVidia shifting current (30xx, etc) stocks before releasing 40xx etc in any volume.

Buying decisions matter too, bith re used cards and, maybe more so, ex-crypto cards.

Some "experts" think ex-crypto cards are an opportunity, others think they're a dodgy propostion. I suspect both are right to a point. Personally, being rather risk-averse, I won't touch either but will buy new. Which, of course, means I will get better consumer rights and/or manufacturer warranty but, for sure, comes at a price.

For now, it's all a bit confusing. My bet is only AMD/nVidia, and to a lesser degree, board partners have any real idea of when 'next' gen cards will arrive in volume because only they know how much current gen card stock is sitting in warehoses. We may see large scale availability in weeks, or not 'til next year. But if the reports of fabs declining to cancel orders for current gen silicon, and AMD or especially nVidia could be left sitting on a mountain of 30xx cards bevause they werem't anticipating a crypto crash, I don't see them putting 40xx out there on any scale while it would devalue their 30xx mountain. But is their 30xx "mountain" still a mountain, or getting closer to a molehill? Me? Not a clue.

So .... I'm effectively dismissing interest in next gen, and more interested in the right choice of and price/availability of current gen which, for me, are certainly powerful enough for my needs for a very long time. I'm more concerned (but still not hugely concerned) about missing the boat.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Some "experts" think ex-crypto cards are an opportunity, others think they're a dodgy propostion.
    It's down to the history of the individual card you are buying, and you just don't know. If it has been cared for and carefully undervolted then it should be OK. If it's been part of a big mining farm then it might have been roasting in a hot room for a year, and at least need all the thermal pads and paste replacing.

..., I don't see them putting 40xx out there on any scale while it would devalue their 30xx mountain.
    I guess we will find out before long. I expect the 4090 will get released without too much delay, because it will be faster than the 3090 so not a direct competitor and Nvidia can just crank the price up. If Nvidia release it for something stupid like £2500 then we know they are worried about stock levels of the older cards, in which case we won't be seeing the likes of a 4060 for months.

Thanks

From some of the stuff I've read it looks like Nvidia and AMD are going to put off the next-gen release by a month or so to get as much stock of current cards out as possible.
    Paper launches on the horizon...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It's down to the history of the individual card you are buying, and you just don't know. If it has been cared for and carefully undervolted then it should be OK. If it's been part of a big mining farm then it might have been roasting in a hot room for a year, and at least need all the thermal pads and paste replacing.

I guess we will find out before long. I expect the 4090 will get released without too much delay, because it will be faster than the 3090 so not a direct competitor and Nvidia can just crank the price up. If Nvidia release it for something stupid like £2500 then we know they are worried about stock levels of the older cards, in which case we won't be seeing the likes of a 4060 for months.
    On para 1, yeah, as I'm risk-averse it's the not-knowing that kills it for me.

On the 3090, that wouldn't surprise me, but for the rest of the range .... I'm not sure we ever will know. I mean, obviously, we'll know when they release once they do, but not why that ended up being the timescale. Or whether stocks of current gen are currently huge, getting low or almost gone, until it might be too late to get one new. Sooner or later I'm gonna have to get off the fence and commit. Or not. Or the choice will be made for me.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

So a few weeks ago the 3090 had fallen to £1200 at scan and £1150 at ebuyer (Asus tuf oc) with both selling out. Today both places came back into stock, but scan now list it back at £1400+ whereas ebuyer have kept it at £1150 with the listing saying plenty of stock (they highlight when it's <10 available) so they are still receiving new deliveries of them and in scan's case appear happy to not need to discount to shift them. I'm not sure what Nvidia RRP was for 3090FE but £1150 for an AIB like the tuf oc sounds like a good deal *if* you need the 24GB buffer. The 3080ti is not much cheaper ( circa £1050 for the equivalent tuf oc) so if you're not holding out for a 4000 series you might as well pay the £100 extra I guess

The interesting question with ebuyer pricing is whether it is ebuyer doing the discounts or Asus shifting stock at lower wholesale prices which ebuyer are passing on.

It seems a lottery to know what price the 4000 series will land at, and whether scalpers will relent and allow normal folk to actually purchase them in a realistic timeframe.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Well, the best deal on high-end cards was probably that deal a while back from Laptops Direct for a 6900 XT TUF for £800 and then Asus's cashback brought it down to £585:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tuf...direct-3976028

Only 16GB though!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Well, the best deal on high-end cards was probably that deal a while back from Laptops Direct for a 6900 XT TUF for £800 and then Asus's cashback brought it down to £585:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tuf...direct-3976028

Only 16GB though!
    wow I'd have pounced on that if I'd known at the time!

Thanks

Yeah I probably would have done as well tbh, that's a nice discount, and as for 'Onl 16GB though!' my 3080's only got 10GB soo.....

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Yeah I probably would have done as well tbh, that's a nice discount, and as for 'Onl 16GB though!' my 3080's only got 10GB soo.....
    I was being a bit facetious with the 16GB comment, but any of the various "is 10GB/8GB enough for the 3080/3070" threads all over the 'net sure does get the Nvidia regulars worked up. Most the vocal defenders are serial constant upgrades so they hardly care about longevity.

18. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (12-08-2022)

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information