Thread: UEFI bios for MSI GTX 760 Hawk

Thanks

UEFI bios for MSI GTX 760 Hawk

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC in preparation for Win 11 and have found that my new mobo won't switch on TPM unless the GPU is running a UEFI bios. I was hoping to be able to use my current card until new board prices became more realistic so I'm looking for a UEFI bios for my MSI GTX 760 Hawk GPU. I've tried both MSI & Nvidia but neither can help. I've seen on various forums that all GTX 7x0 from 740 upwards support UEFI but this doesn't seem to be true. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has managed to get a bios working perhaps from one of the other variants of the 760. MTIA

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: UEFI bios for MSI GTX 760 Hawk

Isn't UEFI more about the motherboard BIOS? Your GPU will be compatible with UEFI (on the motherboard) or not, which might be where you're looking for updated firmware/BIOS for the GPU to enable that compatability.

Looking at VGA bios collections, I don't think it looks like the 760 Hawk is ever going to be UEFI compatible:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...60-2048-130801

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Isn't UEFI more about the motherboard BIOS? Your GPU will be compatible with UEFI (on the motherboard) or not, which might be where you're looking for updated firmware/BIOS for the GPU to enable that compatability.

Looking at VGA bios collections, I don't think it looks like the 760 Hawk is ever going to be UEFI compatible:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...60-2048-130801
    Until a couple of days ago I thought UEFI was a new faster form of motherboard bios, I now know different and it was put to me that the GPU had to be UEFI friendly and of course it isn't so the mobo won't enable either it's own on-board TPM or the integrated CPU version, in fact it won't enable UEFI full stop.

I've already looked at the info you've attached and agree that it is unlikely that the 760 Hawk will ever get an update which has prompted my original question as to whether or not anyone has managed to get a bios for one of the other variants to work as I'm pretty sure I saw that some have been updated. The board works well on the new mobo with the original Win 10 installation which surprised me as it only needed a few driver updates but then my previous system was based on an FX8350 on an Asus board, I had been prepared to have done a clean install. I guess I will have to wait until next year now when hopefully the retail prices will reduce to something more sensible.

Many thanks for your help.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • squirrelz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V LK
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 XMS 16GB 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Windforce GTX660
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP
      • Internet:
      • Yes

I was very lucky (twice) I had a Gigabyte GTX660 that a UEFI firmware was available for, so I was able to update it. And then I managed to buy an RTX3070 FE from Scan.

But yes, if the Video card firmware isn't UEFI compliant, you'll have to run the motherboard in CSM mode, and then you can't fully enable stuff like Secure Boot and TPM.

isn't trying to wind U up Shooty*'s Avatar
    Thanks
    • Shooty*'s system
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Tsunami Dream, black, windowed.
      • Internet:
      • Plus Net

Morning all,
    Been away for a while. Built myself a new Ryzen 5 PC a year ago at the start of lockdown to work from home. Moved my old Zotac GTX 660 into it.
    Treated myself to an m2 SSD this week, and have been playing around in the bios/ UEFI settings (Mobo: B450M Pro4 F), and can't enable ultra fast boot or, possibly, unlock the full potential of the M2 because it says my 660GTX doesn't have the GOP or something.
    Little surprised to learn how old my card is (I don't game much these days: mainly just work. Most demanding games I have are probably Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis, Fary Cry 3 or Dawn of War 2), and even more surprised, when looking for an upgrade, to find not many available.

Google has lead me to believe that there may be a Bios which will enable UEFI support, here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190986/190986
    but it's unverified. I've never flashed a GPU Bios before. Techpower up seems reputable. Zotac doesn't seem to host Bios for cards this old, bless 'em.

Anyone tried this? (appreciate that odds of anyone on here having the same card, and having tried that Bios are slim).

Thanks
    My HTPC: Linky

Thread Information