Thread: Which TFT?

Thanks

Which TFT?

I have £200-£300 (can push a little higher if necessary) to spend on a 15 or 17 inch TFT monitor...

I've had a look around on review sites and I've found the high contrast ratios and low response time are good for gaming - which is what I plan to do a bit of with this screen.

Handily, OCUK have a decent selection

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...amo_2d002_2dhe

apart from the crappy AOC and the expensive LG/others at the end, which monitor would you guys recommend I splash some of my cash on?
    Last edited by Byatt; 24-09-2003 at 10:57 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'd consider the specs and then the looks personally. Important things are...

* Response time - VERY important for gaming and movies, 20ms is as good as 16ms (same really), I wouldn't go higher than 20ms.

* Native res - This is what you'll pretty much be stuck to using for games and Windows so be sure it fits the bill. IMHO 1024x768 for 15" and 1280x960 for 17" (1280x1024 close runner up).

* Colours - should all be 24bit (16.8 million) but watch out as some 16bit (65 thousand) do sneak in and are certainly best avoided.

* Contrast and brightness are most important for movies where you want clarity even from a little further away.

* DVI connection - well worth it if you use a DVI gfx card.

I'm not sure precisely what importance dot pitch or refresh rate (Hz) has on these screens. Importance of viewing angle depends on how you (and others) are likely to use the screen. Other goodies can add to the purchasing decision but speakers are always really poor, things like wall mountable or USB can be useful esp if USB2. You should always get 3 year warranty but check and also look in the fine print for the number of dead pixels that passes as a fault etc. Prices have really come down but they're still all pretty pricey, be sure to do a lot of research before you buy. Seeing them in the flesh is a BIG help, everything is subjective and personal prefs count for a LOT, you can weigh up the value of better contrast etc.

Thanks
    The Samsung 172X is due out very shortly. This is a new 17" panel with a 16ms response time and 500:1 contrast ratio. This is the one I am waiting for - just need to find one that is guaranteed no dead pixles once it is released. Oh and did I mention that it looks the pups plumbs too!

Details: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Moni...nitor_172X.htm

madmaca.

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Thanks
    The LG1710S can be got from ebuyer for under £300

I r00l all
    Thanks
    I recently purchased an LG L1710B from Ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43564

16ms response time (no ghosting to worry about), very nice lookin' (the bezel is thinner than in the pic) and it comes with all the cables you need, including DVI cable. It's a bit over your budget, but if you can spend a little more... I would go for this

Believe me, I spent a good deal of time researching into which TFT to get, and I'm glad I went for this one.

Thanks
    Originally posted by th3 mol3
    I recently purchased an LG L1710B from Ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=43564

16ms response time (no ghosting to worry about), very nice lookin' (the bezel is thinner than in the pic) and it comes with all the cables you need, including DVI cable. It's a bit over your budget, but if you can spend a little more... I would go for this

Believe me, I spent a good deal of time researching into which TFT to get, and I'm glad I went for this one.
    I'm heading towards following you down that road...

thanks for your help gents.

Thanks
    r u sure it's 16ms? I sure that version had a 20/25ms rst. That is what is listed on all the reviews and sites I have seen.

Not calling you a liar or anything mate, I'm just wondering...

lowestonweb.com are doing the 15" 15P for 250 inc Delivery. Smaller size but beat 15" EIZO screens in reviews I read, is DVI and does portrait mode (hence P) tag. Perfect value screen IMO, although 15" only (still as good as 17" CRT for screen real estate though)

Thanks
    This link has the timings at 25ms...

http://www.lgeus.com/Product/Monitor/L1710B.ASP

Thanks
    but this link on another LG site has it at 16ms!:

http://www.lge.co.uk/mod_perl/go.pl/...tegory_uid=643

Maybe they updated the design? Make sure if you order this monotir to find out. I think it the quality cannot quite match the 15" unit (5/5 as oppsoed to 4/5 in the review I saw for pic qual) and you don't get the portarit mode function, but it is bigger and still quality...

peace

Thanks
    And lastly a link with reviews for some LG TFTs:

http://www.lge.co.uk/mod_perl/go.pl/...rds.htm?uid=58

No I don't work for LG (see my other posts) but I was looking for 2 TFT set-up (I edit video) so I'm probably going to settle on 2x 1510P's, 2 for £500 seem good price to me...does anyone know if they come with the DVI cable like the 1710B's?

cheers in advance

Thanks
    the AOC 19s were £350 inc from ebuyer and are a similar price from MD / Aria etc...

I r00l all
    Thanks
    It's up to you, m8. All I know is it's fine for playing games/movies

Thanks
    DVI is key for me, but if not for you those AOC's and ADI's a damn near great value

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    You won't get a very good TFT for £2-3 hundred.

Either save up (a lot) more or get a nice CRT. Something from Iiyama or Sony would be brilliant for £300.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Originally posted by Howard
    You won't get a very good TFT for £2-3 hundred.

Either save up (a lot) more or get a nice CRT. Something from Iiyama or Sony for £300 would be a silly amount of money for a bliddy CRT.
    *fixed

Thread Information