Thread: Which GPU would be best suited to a Ryzen 7 1800X

C_1
    Registered+
    Thanks

Which GPU would be best suited to a Ryzen 7 1800X

Hello, I have been looking at getting a new GPU for my cousins PCs. His current specs are: Ryzen 7 1800X, 16GB RAM 3000Mhz, GTX 1050Ti, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 700W PSU.

As I have seen prices are steadily decreasing and becoming more stable so I was looking to get his GPU upgraded so he can enjoyably play more modern and intensive games.
    However I am unsure on what GPU would be best matching for his current CPU/RAM configuration.

Would anyone have any recommendations on good GPUs to match with that?

Cheers

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Which GPU would be best suited to a Ryzen 7 1800X

If you can get an RTX3060TI FE for £369 or an RX6600XT for under £400,they are OK value but would be a decent upgrade.

The Nvidia GPUs do seem to do a bit worse at lower resolutions with older CPUs due to driver overhead,but the RX6600XT does ideally want PCI-E 4.0,and its limited Infinity Cache can cause more issues at qHD/4K.

Thanks

Hard to recommend something without a budget. The 1800X is still a fair gaming CPU. I'd say go for a 6600XT, if you can find one at ~£375 great but you might need to go over £400 for one. Just the state of the industry at the moment unfortunately.

Unless they specifically want the PC ecosystem I'd say in the current market consoles are a bargain. Pick up a digital edition PS5 on eBay for about £400 or get lucky with a retail drop and they'd be playing the latest titles for ~6 years.

Thanks

What monitor resolution and refresh rate is he wanting to drive?

I'm no expert, but the biggest issue seems to be a combination of very fast frame rates in games, and/or high resolution is what really requires a lot of grunt from the GPU. You can get away with pretty good frame rates at 1080p, or much lower frame rates at 1440 or 4k, but driving 4k at very high refresh rates is going to require something of a monster GPU .... which are still both hard to get, or eye-wateringly expensive.

I suspect you'll need to know what he wants/expects to achieve to work out what it'll need it do it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

C_1
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Okay I see, I shall keep an eye out for both of those cards online and believe the RTX3060Ti FE will be his preferred option as he is all for NVIDIA GPUs. However I have been watching a few reviews for the RX6600XT and it does seem rather good value for money regarding raw gaming performance.

He is currently running a 1080p, 24inch, 144Hz monitor however I believe he has the refresh rate set down to 75Hz at the moment. I doubt he would be looking to play at either 1440P or 4K currently as he mainly plays First Person Shooter games so he is aiming for performance rather then visual quality a lot of the time.

He'd be firm on staying with PC although I do see the benefits of a console. The 6600XT does seem to be a good competitor however from looking online it just seems to be a case of when/how available they are at viable prices.
    Last edited by kalniel; 23-08-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: the edit button is your friend

Thread Information