Thread: No box

Registered+
    Thanks

No box

Was surprised and disappointed that I'll not get my ryzen 9 5900x CPU box nor my EVGA 3090ftw3 24gb ultra box with my prebuilt 3xs sytem when it arrives, after phoning and enquiring was told they don't get the boxes?

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: No box

could be that Scan get them in an 'OEM tray' from their supplier, so have no boxes, bulk buy discount type thing.

like so..
    Last edited by stevie lee; 02-11-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by whitepedro View Post
    Was surprised and disappointed that I'll not get my ryzen 9 5900x CPU box nor my EVGA 3090ftw3 24gb ultra box with my prebuilt 3xs sytem when it arrives, after phoning and enquiring was told they don't get the boxes?
    I'm surprised you're surprised, you already told us on 26th Oct that there would be no box:

That's why I need a new pc as my current Rigg blue screens often .Can just picture playing farcry 6 or Breakpoint whatever 4k maxed out and that super expensive gpu( EVGA 3090 ftw3 ultra gaming) dying just a waste of money and time and I see Scan Uk don't give you the gpu box.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah I was concerned about the unfortunate chance of gpu failure if I needed a box to send it back to them was surprised being told I'll have to send back entire sytem.You only get boxes when custom building yourself. Was curious as I got my radeon hd 5970 2gb inside it's box with my current prebuilt from overclockers uk back in 2010 guess times change regardless I would've loved the boxes especially given the prices of them and would've been nice on my shelves next to 5970,rx 480 boxe and I've no cpu boxes of any kind. From another perspective only cats play with boxes

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Was curious as I got my radeon hd 5970 2gb inside it's box with my current prebuilt from overclockers uk back in 2010
    The cynic in me says this was so they didnt have to dispose of it themselves.

Although, more likely is just down to how they buy or source components.

Thanks

Yeah I was concerned about the unfortunate chance of gpu failure if I needed a box to send it back to them was surprised being told I'll have to send back entire sytem.

I am in the process of spec'ing up a system to order, but the notion of sending the entire thing back because of one part failing is a major turn-off for several reasons. First, cost. Second, some very personal data may be on the drives and I'm flat out not sending those back. Third, if it's a machine I rely on, I can probably soldier on with a spare bit if one part fails, but not if I have to send the whole thing back.

I'm glad you pointed that out. It is a good reason to just build my own machine, despite not really wanting to.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Registered+
    Thanks

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...-pcs/2958/3182 2nd from the top is the one I preordered good rgb in the case I'm not sure about the size though, here's another link to the only other thing prebuilt that interests me but with 6900xt on Overclockers UK
    https://store.overclockers.co.uk/ocu...5BgroupKey%5D=
    Last edited by whitepedro; 03-11-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for those. Looks like my 'balance' of features is similar, but different in some significnt ways. Part of the problem is striking the right balance. For me, I want 'decent' gaming performance but it is not my only, or even primary, concern. I want an all-rounder, but with good content-creation capabilities. That, in large part, means 3090 is overkill, given the budget hit. 3070-ish is more like it, maybe 3080. However, I'd rather avoid 8GB models. I want as much longevity as I can get and that strikes me as an issue, with some current games getting near max-ing that out already.

Also, not an RGB fan, and would MUCH rather get a nice but 'plain Jane' case. And, given that RGB adds to the cost just about everywhere it's used, would rather spend that budget on something, indeed almost anything, else given that it is that something I want turned off anyway. With wirecutters if need be.

What does matter is mobo specs. Again, I am happy to pay fpr some future-proofing (though yes, I know it's limited at this point in AM4 lifecycle). But 2.5GB ethernet and wifi 6 are on the list, at least, as I already use both. Probably X570 rather than B550, though that's not set in stone. Oh, and at least 32GB RAM (3200 is fine) with a view to 64GB, but I don't want SSD plus HD in it. A fast boot drive (probably M.2 PCIe 4 is worth doing) but a secindary HD is not, for me.

As you can see, I have a pretty good idea of what I do want, and some things I don't. It's proving .... problematic .... to find a pre-spec'd system that nails it, as they virtually all either have things I don't want, or don't have things I do. Hence, looking at custom-build options or just griitng my teeth and building the damn thing myself.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

If you want wifi 6 and 2.5Gb ethernet you're going to end up going down the B550 route rather than the x570 route, unless things have changed in the last 6 months and the newer x570s boards give you those features, unless you want to look at add on's..

Thanks

They are available. I'd have to check the model number but I found a suitable Asus Rog. I think it was the Gaming F. There was also an Gigabyte Aurus but the recent PSU debacle put me right off anything Gigabyte, as I thought their antics over that stank. I'm pretty sure there was an MSI too, and maybe others. I'd rather avoid add-ons or add-ins, if possible. BUT .... they come at a price. The Asus is pushing £300. So yeah, you can get them .... at a price. Worth it? To me, probably, but it's close. I'm not entirely sold on it.

Thanks

Things have changed a bit then since I was looking at boards for my iTX build, excuse to upgrade again

Registered+
    Thanks

The only thing really annoying me is the EVGA 3090 problem highlighted in their own forums did they use cheap components etc, it's late 2022 so fingers crossed Scan get better models now, not the best situation to be in 5 days before your preorder being potentially built.The corsair ICUE 220t rgb airflow is annoyingly small I don't like the pattern on the front grill tbh. It's just that as a gamer the gpu for the price I've done comparatively well to other prebuilts at least it seems so without hindsight . However the longer I have to wait the more I question
    Last edited by whitepedro; 03-11-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I got photos from the build team as my system is nearly complete I see a ryzen 9 5900x box and an evga 3090 ftwultra box?What are they playing at, after me phoning them guy said they don't get them?

Registered+
    Thanks

If you are buying a pre-built system I wouldn't expect to get component boxes. When I bought my car I didn't get the boxes that all the individual components came in so why would it be different for a PC?

15. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (10-11-2021),Guy (10-11-2021)

Thread Information