Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rtx 3060 TI or a 3070?

Thanks

rtx 3060 TI or a 3070?

So looking at these options this is something i am considering in regards to my partners rig, I've a 3060 so i don't need anything but she unfortunately is sat on a 1060 3gb which is showing its age!

I'm stuck because the difference isn't to major between the two and of course price. But we all know how that's going!

What would people recommend? and of course going second hand thoughts on that?

For some context she plays a lot of COD Warzone and vanguard along with a bunch of Xbox game pass games in 1080p but she is considering a monitor upgrade to a 1440p.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: rtx 3060 TI or a 3070?

There are rumours of a 4070 release around July

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nv...we-know-so-far

I was expecting to see a mining rig sell-off by now, but not seen ebay awash with GPUs yet.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I think you'd be happy with the 3060 Ti, still has good performance for 1440.
    It's currently under £500 at long last!
    I've never known a COD struggle to run. It's usually the same recycled engine from the previous game.

I'm looking at the 3070 Ti for ultra wide, and in some cases is cheaper than the 3070...

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Also consider the RX 6700 XT, which trades blows with a 3070, but has 12Gb vRAM.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Powercolor RX 6700XT 12Gb Red Devil = £520
    radeon-rx-6700-xt-12gb-red-devil-graphics-card-axrx-6700xt-12gbd6-3dhe-oc

XFX RX 6800 XT 16Gb SWFT 319 = £779
    https://www.ebuyer.com/1265854-xfx-r...d-rx-68xtaqfd9

Comparitive performance:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-6700-xt.c3695

RTX 3060 Ti 8Gb = 98%
    RX 6700 XT 12Gb = 100%
    RTX 3070 8Gb = 115%
    RTX 3070 Ti 8Gb = 123%
    RX 6800 XT 16Gb = 146%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post

Comparitive performance:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-6700-xt.c3695

RTX 3060 Ti 8Gb = 98%
    RX 6700 XT 12Gb = 100%
    RTX 3070 8Gb = 115%
    RTX 3070 Ti 8Gb = 123%
    RX 6800 XT 16Gb = 146%
    I'm always a bit nervous about simplistic performance comparisons. It seems to vary hugely depending on what is running when you measure it. Currently, overall, nvidia seem to have the edge on AMD and in some games, a very marked edge, but in others, AMD take it. It also depends on what is turned on, like ray-tracing, etc.

It's similar with non-game performance and depends on what's running, though currently, nvidia seem to have quite an edge in video rendering, If marketing is accurate, that's shaken up a bit with the RXxx50 series, but RTX4xxx looklike shaking it up again.

It also may depend not just on which games Mrs Razer plays, but at what level - sheer FPS in shooters is going to matter much more for very competitive gamers than casual ones.

One thought, razer .... do you need to do thi right now? If not, then maybe sit on it for a few months, wait for card releases to become a bit cleaer then maybe shift your 3060 over and look at RTX4xxx or RXxx50 for yours, or if she's th bigger gamer, look at those for hers. And failing that, given that supply seems to be easing and prices falling (though it's a bit of a gamble that that doesn't reverse), try to pick the perfect moment in the changeover to new Gen cards to get good discounted pricing on older gen cards? If it happens. The pent-up demand may prevent that usual phenomenon from happening this time. Just a thought.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

That goes without saving, but Techpowerup are very reputable, and I trust their integrity. Also Ray Tracing isn't worth considering IMO, unless you're looking at a 3080 or above / 6900XT card, as it's just not worth enabling on anything less, the tech needs a couple more generations to mature.

Prices are generally still trending down, but they will reach their lower limit anywhere from late June to late August, depending on when the next gen eventually launches, it's performance and launch price, and whatever is happeing in the crypto market. New cards are looking power hungry and likely expensive in the top end, and mid-range (£400-600...lol) won't be released until October I expect, as is usual with new releases these days. I think a RTX 3060 Ti for about £350-400 on the used market, collected in person and shown working is what I'd be doing right now if I were looking.
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 25-05-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

None of them at current prices. My RTX3060TI FE was £360ish and anything much over £400ish isn't worth it especially with 8GB of VRAM. The GTX1060 3GB has a lack of VRAM so you really need to consider getting a dGPU with more than 8GB if you are paying over £400 - it might be worth waiting for the next generation dGPUs in a few months time but be ready to buy quickly at launch.

The only graphics card which I think is decent value now is the RX6600 which is around £300ish.

Sometimes you get the odd deal for an RTX3060 or RX6600XT but both only make sense under £350.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-05-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    .... if you are paying over £400 - it might be worth waiting for the next generation dGPUs in a few months time but be ready to buy quickly at launch.

That is my thinking, but there's a distinct risk.

I'm looking to keep this next card, and indeed system, as long as possible, and if I can, to avoid upgrading in a few years. For that reason, even 8GB makes me a tad nervous as the trend seems to be (and it's decades in the making) for software to expand to fill, then push, the limits of hardware. 8GB is probably fine .... now, but there's already signs of games expanding close to the point of filling that, then wanting more, which some cards (of course) can supply. At a price.

Given I don't want to upgrade, buying into what looks likely to become a performance issue, maybe sooner rather than later, 8GB (for me) is a concern. And I struggle to find more than that, on a card with enough performance, at a price I like. No 3090Ti for me.

Next Gen certainly looks to address all that but .... at what price?

Right now, there is decent stock available at not-too-rip-off prices, but in a few months?

Things might go down a bit more towards MSP, but they might go back up, so it's a punt.

If I plan on next gen and they either come out at silly prices, or limited stock (or both), it's certainly possible that, by then, existing gen cards will have sold out and I end up with a choice between waiting months for more stock, or accepting getting a right royal skinning. The change-over might go smoothly, but it also might get bloody.

Half of me wants to wait for what sure looks to be significant benefits, and the other half is of the "bird in the hand" mindset.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

/I'll get my coat.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    That is my thinking, but there's a distinct risk.

I'm looking to keep this next card, and indeed system, as long as possible, and if I can, to avoid upgrading in a few years. For that reason, even 8GB makes me a tad nervous as the trend seems to be (and it's decades in the making) for software to expand to fill, then push, the limits of hardware. 8GB is probably fine .... now, but there's already signs of games expanding close to the point of filling that, then wanting more, which some cards (of course) can supply. At a price.

Given I don't want to upgrade, buying into what looks likely to become a performance issue, maybe sooner rather than later, 8GB (for me) is a concern. And I struggle to find more than that, on a card with enough performance, at a price I like. No 3090Ti for me.

Right now, there is decent stock available at not-too-rip-off prices, but in a few months?

Things might go down a bit more towards MSP, but they might go back up, so it's a punt.

If I plan on next gen and they either come out at silly prices, or limited stock (or both), it's certainly possible that, by then, existing gen cards will have sold out and I end up with a choice between waiting months for more stock, or accepting getting a right royal skinning. The change-over might go smoothly, but it also might get bloody.

Half of me wants to wait for what sure looks to be significant benefits, and the other half is of the "bird in the hand" mindset.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

/I'll get my coat.
    What I paid for my RTX3060TI FE was the upper limit of what I would pay for an 8GB dGPU but above that I would be a bit wary. I would have got an RX6700XT but the RRP was too high(£420) and it was always way above RRP.

Thanks

What I paid for my RTX3060TI FE was the upper limit of what I would pay for an 8GB dGPU but above that I would be a bit wary. I would have got an RX6700XT but the RRP was too high(£420) and it was always way above RRP.
    Yeah. Because my rationale is of the 'do it right, do it once' variety, then within limits, budget isn't a high priority this time. I mean, rule out the stupendously expensive (3090Ti, etc), but from there down, it's a balance (for me) between what I need, what I think I will need, and what it costs. I don't consider I need a 3090 (looking, realistically, at 1440, not 4K, for gaming). But what's guiding me is what differences there are in card and capabilities between two card levels, and the price differential,rather than the absolute price. If going up a step gains me a lot in reducing the likelihood of future upgrades, and isn't too big a jump in price, then I'll do it for a bit of extra safety net. But I'd top out at about £!000-£1200, if I really have to and I will need to be convinced of the benefit I gain from going above about half of that. Also, I'm a bit brand fussy. There are some I would just rule out. I'm currently tempted by an MSI 3080, at about £850, with 10GB. But I haven't finally nailed down all the spec, am a bit tied up with other things and am not in a searing rush so it's a bit back-burnered, just simmering gently away.

12. Received thanks from:

keef247 (20-06-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Also consider the RX 6700 XT, which trades blows with a 3070, but has 12Gb vRAM.

Its been a long time since i or any of my friends for that matter have owned a AMD GPU, reason being is i don't trust they perform as well, i had a lot of problems when i tried them out but that was over 10 years ago, looking at comparisons and price teh RX 6700XT does look tempting, I'm just a little bit wary of considering it, partners PC has got to get a new GPU along with my daughters so i think I'm going to do as much research as i can on AMDs GPUs, value etc but more importantly how they handle the gaming side of things, drivers etc

Could you say anything about the drivers? and what about Ray Tracing? how do they handle that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Could you say anything about the drivers? and what about Ray Tracing? how do they handle that?
    I'm currently running an nVidia card, but I don't hesitate to say AMD drivers are great these days and they have a far superior control panel.

Ray tracing is a step behind nVidia, but the point being made is a 3070 isn't fast enough for ray tracing anyway so it doesn't matter that AMD aren't as fast as a 3070 - you won't be using it either choice.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Yeah. Because my rationale is of the 'do it right, do it once' variety, then within limits, budget isn't a high priority this time. I mean, rule out the stupendously expensive (3090Ti, etc), but from there down, it's a balance (for me) between what I need, what I think I will need, and what it costs. I don't consider I need a 3090 (looking, realistically, at 1440, not 4K, for gaming). But what's guiding me is what differences there are in card and capabilities between two card levels, and the price differential,rather than the absolute price. If going up a step gains me a lot in reducing the likelihood of future upgrades, and isn't too big a jump in price, then I'll do it for a bit of extra safety net. But I'd top out at about £!000-£1200, if I really have to and I will need to be convinced of the benefit I gain from going above about half of that. Also, I'm a bit brand fussy. There are some I would just rule out. I'm currently tempted by an MSI 3080, at about £850, with 10GB. But I haven't finally nailed down all the spec, am a bit tied up with other things and am not in a searing rush so it's a bit back-burnered, just simmering gently away.
    Problem is that I don't want to be paying massively above RRP - for instance the RRP of the RTX3080 was about £649. So I wouldn't really want to go about £100 more than that at most. But another issue,is comparisons to previous generations which is why the RTX3060/RX6600/RX6600XT street prices were not great. The RX6600 at least now can be had for around £290 which seems to fit in where it should have been,ie,around the price of the RX5600XT which it replaced. You get extra performance and more VRAM,so it seems more like a generational improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Its been a long time since i or any of my friends for that matter have owned a AMD GPU, reason being is i don't trust they perform as well, i had a lot of problems when i tried them out but that was over 10 years ago, looking at comparisons and price teh RX 6700XT does look tempting, I'm just a little bit wary of considering it, partners PC has got to get a new GPU along with my daughters so i think I'm going to do as much research as i can on AMDs GPUs, value etc but more importantly how they handle the gaming side of things, drivers etc

I have mates with the RX6600 and RX6600XT,because the Nvidia equivalents(the RTX3060TI) were nowhere near the same price. They are both incredibly energy efficient dGPUs and so far they have been fine. I think my mate had a bit of bug with their RX6600XT which was bought at launch,but outside that they have been happy with it and its been very solid. They had a GTX1070 which was replaced by an RX5700XT which was replaced by an RTX3060TI FE. They sold their RTX3060TI because the secondhand pricing was insane! So they have had plenty of realworld experience with recent dGPUs from both companies.

RT performance is better on the Nvidia dGPUs,but from my experience of the RTX3060TI it's all relative. I still need to use DLSS with Cyberpunk 2077 and that is just with reflections enabled,so I would say we need at least a doubling of RT performance,even with DLSS,to really be able to start using more RT features.

But because the RX6600 is only £290,and performs similarly to an RTX3060,even if we take into consideration the extra VRAM and better RT performance,it still needs to be under £350 - its RRP is actually closer to £300 anyway.

The RTX3060TI I wouldn't really spend much more than £400 on. With 8GB of VRAM I know mine will start to have problems,but I had mine for nearly a year so far.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-05-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks

Problem is that I don't want to be paying massively above RRP - for instance the RRP of the RTX3080 was about £649. So I wouldn't really want to go about £100 more than that at most. But another issue,is comparisons to previous generations which is why the RTX3060/RX6600/RX6600XT street prices were not great. The RX6600 at least now can be had for around £290 which seems to fit in where it should have been,ie,around the price of the RX5600XT which it replaced. You get extra performance and more VRAM,so it seems more like a generational improvement.

Oh, sure. I understand that, and why you feel that way. Me too, sort-of. But .... it's not where I'm coming from. As a one-off purchase, and fairly soon, to me the RRP/MSP is, well frankly, meaningless, since they aren't available at that price (in any quantity), haven't been for quite a while and who knows if they will be again in 6, 12, ?? months?

I'm looking at it more as the price simply is what it is, as/when I finally bite, and it's whether what I get at that time is worth it to me. Or not. I don't like that the prices are what they are, but then, I don't like it for fuel, electric/gas power, or a host of other stuff too. But, it is what it is and I can pay it, or not (and go without).

I have often, in the past, just decided "I'm not paying that for an XYZ. It's not worth it to me. So I'll just do without". And I did. This time, I'm defining the max I'll spend that way, and won't top that but up to that point, it's more about what bang/buck I get at this price point, compared to the next up, and down. Where's my 'sweet spot'?

Also, got my eye on a pair of KEF LSX's for my office. That's gonna dent the ol' fun budget.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Crypto values are dropping at the same time that energy prices are rising, making GPU mining less attractive. Etherium is increasingly mined by more energy efficient ASIC miners so the overall hash rate is still going up, and that again makes GPU mining less profitable. I still have no confidence in the devs in charge of Etherium to swap to proof of stake any time soon, but that is looming and should put some people off. So yeah, GPU prices are dropping and availability... well you can actually buy cards now.

If it wasn't for the silicon supply issues, I suspect we would be OK by now. I suspect factories are stockpiling cards for the next gen release by now, which will support the high price of existing cards.

I think it will be some time before GPUs come down to the prices we remember, simply because the market is now used to this high price and I can't see a price war happening soon. But I think we are over the worst at this point, and if Eth moves to proof of stake then I don't see things slipping back.

Thread Information