Thread: Upgrade from a GTX770

Thanks

Upgrade from a GTX770

Hi all - after some advice.

The graphic card I currently have GTX770 is just to slow and not meeting even minimum requirements for the limited games I play now (Total War type) so need to upgrade.

There is a great PC shop here in Denmark I have purchased my parts from before (in my PC building days) and match more or less what you can get online here price wise, and I am looking at what they have. I would like to stick to Nvidia and prefer ASUS cards, and looking at what they have in stock is showing as.....

https://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/gr...ock=koebenhavn

Prices are insane right now as we all know for Graphic cards but im going to have to suck it up this once, so want to get something to keep me going until things return to some normality.

Total War games (all i really play now) give a recommended requirement of GeForce GTX 1660 Ti but from above link can see lots of other cards as well about the same price, so what would be the difference between getting for example a...

ASUS TUF-GTX1660TI-O6G-EVO-GAMING or a ASUS DUAL-RTX2060-O6G-EVO from above link (with the former RTX2060 being just 300DKK (about 30quid) more expensive?

Or is there a better choice for price to performance in the above link?

Thanks in advance for any advice (P.S rest of my spec is in profile)

Thanks

Re: Upgrade from a GTX770

Doesn't look like a lot of choice within that sort of price range, for £30 extra I'd personally say the 2060 is much better. The other option is the used market, but you'd have to look at eBay etc and consider the loss of warranty.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, agreed that choice is not great. Yeah the 2060 is looking like the one, but how would the RTX3050 compare to those? Its newer/a tad cheaper https://www.fcomputer.dk/asus-dual-g...0yv0hh0-m0na00 but assume not as good?

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Of the options listed on the website, I'd opt for the RTX 3050 8Gb, it's not quite as powerful as the RTX2060, but it's a generation newer, and has 2Gb extra vRAM, which will help with longevity. It's only 130W so will run nice and cool with even single fan versions.

It's about 85-90% of the performance of the RTX2060 for reference. So falls somewhere between a GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 in rasterisation performance (probably close the 1660 Ti realistically, but with DLSS and Ray Tracing ability).

To be honest I've forget about brand loyalty. This Zotac card is the good option, Zotac makes good quality cards and offer a 5 year warranty (at least here in the UK), I'd be looking at this model:
    https://www.fcomputer.dk/zotac-gamin...zt-a30500h-10m

However for a little more money, you can get the RX6600 8Gb (MSI Mech). This isn't going to be a great cooler, but it's only 130W again, so it isn't really a problem. RX6600 is going to about about 29% faster than the RTX3050, (or 12% faster than the RTX2060) in rasterisation, for a 23% price increase - which is going to offer more performance, and better value for money at the same power consumption level.

https://www.fcomputer.dk/msi-radeon-...600mech2x8g-13

Not a big youtube channel, but RobTech says it didn't top 60C, which is cool, and also suggests the fans wouldn't have ramped up to noisy levels (and even if they had there would be headroom at 60C to slow them down and accept temps of around 70-75C comfortably)

https://youtu.be/ebzeyfCS6cU?t=168
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 28-02-2022 at 01:32 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (28-02-2022)

Thanks

-

To upgrade between the versions, is it simply a matter of installing over the top and then putting the config.dat file back? I just want to make sure nothing should break.

Thx

Thread Information