Thread: 7900XT Owners do me a quick favour pleaseeee ;)

Thanks

7900XT Owners do me a quick favour pleaseeee ;)

Hi everyone, I didn't realise for the sake of £240 extra over a 6800XT, that I could get a 7900XT! Can someone do me a favour, can you do me a locked 60fps @ 1080p run on any of the following cyberpunk/TLOU/Dead Space Remake/Resi4 Remake and let me know what power draw it gets stock and undervolted?

As I notice the TDP is slightly lower by 12 or 22w vs a 6800XT and I'm hoping the 7900XT will play nice just the same, as on a 6800XT framecapped at 1080p 60 Cyberpunk was around 117w and TLOU 127W IIRC when I asked someone to do the same test undervolted...
    I'm only after framecapping single player games at 60fps 1080p and then will run higher for MP, this build is mainly about literal bang per watt power consumption as we pay a disgusting 46p/kwh.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks

Re: 7900XT Owners do me a quick favour pleaseeee ;)

Think it's been answered!
    VERY impressed! And this isn't even undervolted :O
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

3. Received thanks from:

Apex (15-05-2023)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

You realise, even at 46p/kwh, it'll take you 14,907 hours of gaming at full tilt to make back that extra £240?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    You realise, even at 46p/kwh, it'll take you 14,907 hours of gaming at full tilt to make back that extra £240?
    You do realise I'm buying this so I don't have to upgrade for years? 14907 is 1.7 years in 24 hour blocks so I'm over the next 5 years playing 4-6 hours a day will be more than enough to justify not having to upgrade/run out of vram...

£240 will not buy you jack in 2-3 years time when 2-3 year old last gen cards struggle and cant do ultra/high/medium settings and lack vram.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    You do realise I'm buying this so I don't have to upgrade for years? 14907 is 1.7 years in 24 hour blocks so I'm over the next 5 years playing 4-6 hours a day will be more than enough to justify not having to upgrade/run out of vram...

£240 will not buy you jack in 2-3 years time when 2-3 year old last gen cards struggle and cant do ultra/high/medium settings and lack vram.
    It'd be 8 years at 5hrs each and every day

But cool, there are other reasons to upgrade, just looked like you were trying to justify it on leccy costs

7. Received thanks from:

keef247 (16-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    It'd be 8 years at 5hrs each and every day

But cool, there are other reasons to upgrade, just looked like you were trying to justify it on leccy costs
    Hope I didn't come across arsey, wasn't intending to mate Just crap with words!

Haha yep! But I mean to me for it to last 5 years at tasty visual settings is way more worth it then not being able to upgrade in 2-3 with the £240 extra over a 6800XT price that I can afford now...

The leccy/undervolt aspect is just a way of it not annoying me it's eating leccy after already spending money on the rig itself - ie if I was running it at full chat as high a fps as possible on a big 4k monitor/tv, because then I'd forever be paying for something that is loosing value every week/month.

Where as if it costs sod all to run/same as a console then I'm winning Hope that makes more sense now mate

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Just saw the RTX 4070 consumes 61-67W when locked at 60Hz - half that of the RX 7900 XT, it would bearly get warm...

Might be worth waiting to see what the RTX 4060 Ti 16Gb brings to the table, it's due in July? Rumours are saying RTX 3070 Ti performance levels, with 16Gb vRAM, probably 130-160W power typical and probably £500 price (my guess).

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

When power costs started skyrocketing, I very nearly bought something like this solar kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B9GG2LZC/

Mounted on the shed roof, coupled to an old stop/start rated car battery I have kicking around so the battery charges during the day. Then overnight I was thinking of plugging in something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFQC1CNQ/

so in the morning I could run my office from it. I could only game off that for half an hour perhaps, but when working the machine is largely idle.

But I would need to make sure I used it every single day, and even then I'm not sure the numbers work out. If only my house had a roof suitable for solar panels

11. Received thanks from:

keef247 (16-05-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    When power costs started skyrocketing, I very nearly bought something like this solar kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B9GG2LZC/

Mounted on the shed roof, coupled to an old stop/start rated car battery I have kicking around so the battery charges during the day. Then overnight I was thinking of plugging in something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFQC1CNQ/

so in the morning I could run my office from it. I could only game off that for half an hour perhaps, but when working the machine is largely idle.

But I would need to make sure I used it every single day, and even then I'm not sure the numbers work out. If only my house had a roof suitable for solar panels
    That's pretty cool mate, fair play! I love the MacGyver factor of this!

Thanks

So do I.

We have been contemplating a full PV solar system, panels and batteries, on the roof. But it's a pretty serious investment and, while there are eco benefits, we also don't have an ideal roof. We do have the space, but just more east-west than south-facing so, not ideal. And the numbers are iffy, especially when you add the battery system.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

14. Received thanks from:

keef247 (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    So do I.

We have been contemplating a full PV solar system, panels and batteries, on the roof. But it's a pretty serious investment and, while there are eco benefits, we also don't have an ideal roof. We do have the space, but just more east-west than south-facing so, not ideal. And the numbers are iffy, especially when you add the battery system.
    I had a solar panel with 6.5Kw battery system installed in April. Fortunately, I didn't need to pay for it myself (benevolent landlord!). It's had a big impact on my electricity bills so far - my 'imported from grid' electricity has dropped to around 16% of total use. Of course this time of year is close to the 'best case' scenario...

16. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (16-05-2023)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

lol, yeah it shouldn't need to be that complicated, but such are UK wiring regulations.

I have a degree in electronic engineering, and you can buy grid tie micro inverters cheaply enough off Amazon to just plug some solar panels into the mains and offset my usage. But there are planning application regulations on solar panel placement, wiring sign off, and regulations on back generating into the grid (partly on the grounds that the power distribution companies don't want you powering their cables when they switch them off for maintenance, despite the inverters sensing that and safely dealing with it).

So I can't get a professional install, I don't have time for the legal minefield of a self install. My only option is off grid DIY but I wouldn't get anywhere near enough power off my shed roof to power the entire house so I would just end up small scale dicking about which doesn't really seem worth it.

Those "generators", a bad name for what is really a big battery pack with integral mains inverter, do look kind of handy though. I can see myself getting one of those anyway, and then perhaps the solar panels will just sort of happen as a small extra cost.

We had a power outage a while back, and I was very grateful for having a 300W mains inverter and a fully charged car battery in the garage for keeping the fridge freezer going at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    I had a solar panel with 6.5Kw battery system installed in April.

That's awesome. Whilst part of me is dead jealous, I think we need a lot of this to offset the dumb ass government's lack of power station planning for the last couple of decades so it's good to see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    lol, yeah it shouldn't need to be that complicated, but such are UK wiring regulations.

I have a degree in electronic engineering, and you can buy grid tie micro inverters cheaply enough off Amazon to just plug some solar panels into the mains and offset my usage. But there are planning application regulations on solar panel placement, wiring sign off, and regulations on back generating into the grid (partly on the grounds that the power distribution companies don't want you powering their cables when they switch them off for maintenance, despite the inverters sensing that and safely dealing with it).

So I can't get a professional install, I don't have time for the legal minefield of a self install. My only option is off grid DIY but I wouldn't get anywhere near enough power off my shed roof to power the entire house so I would just end up small scale dicking about which doesn't really seem worth it.

Those "generators", a bad name for what is really a big battery pack with integral mains inverter, do look kind of handy though. I can see myself getting one of those anyway, and then perhaps the solar panels will just sort of happen as a small extra cost.

We had a power outage a while back, and I was very grateful for having a 300W mains inverter and a fully charged car battery in the garage for keeping the fridge freezer going at least.

That's awesome. Whilst part of me is dead jealous, I think we need a lot of this to offset the dumb ass government's lack of power station planning for the last couple of decades so it's good to see
    I don't have a degree in electronic engineering, and I doubt my economics would help with a DIY install that much. That said, I do have some small electronics qualifications (City & Guilds level) and am not a numpty. I'm sufficiently not a numpty to know what I can safely do, and to not try to go beyond it.

What did cross my mind was, as a jury-rigged system, something like you described but NOT wired into the mains. i.e. setting it up as a battery/PV fed system into an inverter(/"generator") with 240v out, and treating it as a PV-fed UPS. In the event of a power cut of more than a few hours, running an extension lead to power the freezer, and maybe a couple of light bulbs, and disconnecting the PC stuff.

But in all honesty, I can't make the degree of risk, given how infrequently our power outages are .... at least, historically, justify the cost. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets worse going forward. So it's really more of a "farting about" project than something that justifies the cost. If I was 20 years younger I just might, but these days, I'm not sure I have the spare energy to do it or, if I have, that that's the sort of farting about I'd use my energy on. I still have a 3D printer to decide on first, and a PC build. Plus a motorised garage door. And ..., well, you get the picture.

So, really, more of a thought exercise than anything I'm likely to actually do. Or if we do do it, it'll probably be a full professionally-installed roof setup, but more for environmental and personal energy security purposes than because the cost is justified, which it almost certainly isn't (for us, here).
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Plus a motorised garage door.
    Oh I'm a big fan of those now. We had an up an over door in our garage. One day it went up, over, fell off the rails and landed on the roof of the car with a glancing blow that to this day has left a chunk taken out of the fibreglass let alone paint on the car roof.

Replaced with a roller door. Sod convenience, or even that it is insulated vs the old door just being a sheet of metal. No, the fact it just rolls up using a thin vertical space means all that area that was in the sweep of the old door now has shelves and is generally usable storage space. Epic.

Thanks

Well, exactly .... though "falling off" hadn't occurred to me. I know nowt about such roller doors though and I suspect that, like most things, you can buy cheap or expensive, and get garbage or decent. Hopefully, there's a correlation between the two. Cheap but really good would be nice, but it still needs to be secure, as it's an integral garage, so I'd rather pay more as long as I get value for it. Up to a point, anyway.

More product research looms in my near future. Oh good.

PS. 7900XT to garage roller door. Wow. That's an epic thread diversion, even for me.

Thread Information