Thread: Heads Up - new nVidia "App" inbound ...

Thanks

Heads Up - new nVidia "App" inbound ...

This is a quick FYI for nVidia GPU owners - the new "app", to replace both the nVidia Control Panel AND nVidia Experience (*), is now in Beta.

It appears to combine most of the functions of both, wrapped up in a more modern interface (in many ways a good thing, but isn't always unless done well), and most notably .... no more mandatory log-in.

News is emerging, and I've seen it on both Gamer's Nexus and Hardware Unboxed (so far) though no doubt, so it'll be all over the place if they're both talking about it.

It's early days, and I'm personally reserving judgement for now, but so far, it looks to be a step or two in the right direction. Certainly scrapping the mandatory log-in, if it's as it appears, is positive and I'm hoping for something heavy on functionality while light on both resource-usage and marketing bo.... erm, 'stuff'. And yes, I'd like world peace, a cure for cancer and a Leprechaun's end-of-rainbow pot of gold too. Cynic? Wot, me?

(*) I've never been quite sure what "experience" nVidia were aiming at with their 'experience', but I'm pretty sure the conclusion I reached wasn't what they intended.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

2. Received thanks from:

Iota (22-02-2024),neonplanet40 (22-02-2024),Output (22-02-2024)

Thanks

Re: Heads Up - new nVidia "App" inbound ...

Can't believe it's taken this long, I get annoyed when I have to do anything in the existing app on my son's PC

Thanks

Going to download and give it a whirl
    Jon

Thanks

Gave it a go, pretty polished, nothing blew up. Much better than before
    Jon

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm not an NVIDIA GPU owner (I think the last one I had was an 8800GT), but this is certainly good news to know if I wanted to switch from AMD in future.

I have no idea why NVIDIA even had an account system for their GPUs in the first place, as there should be no need for it (I could say the same about Razer products, which I've also never used but apparently usually require an account to use).

Thanks

You never needed an account for drivers, could go to their website and download but Geforce experience needed an account. No idea why, never really felt it did anything anyway but I am sure they will gain lots from the data they were sent!

Though the new app doesn't do much difference really, before you install it says it "needs" to send information about hardware/software to Nvidia
    Jon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post

I have no idea why NVIDIA even had an account system for their GPUs in the first place, as there should be no need for it (I could say the same about Razer products, which I've also never used but apparently usually require an account to use).
    I have no idea why they did do it, and I've already declared my status as a long-standing cynic once in this thread, but I can certainly hazard a guess as why why they might have done it .... like so many others that want but don't need such things, to get your marketing data.

An awful lot depends on getting a unique identifier on you. Just look at the lengths Google (and, yes, Apple, MS, Facebook/Meta, et. al.) go to. I don't know what data nVidia try to collect because despite, yes, having nVidia graphics (in this 'ere laptop) I didn't bother with the account. Besides, being a cynic, if I'm filling in data on myself in a context where I'm not committing an actual offence by, ummm, being what politicians refer to as "economical with the truth", I lie my fairly substantial ass off. I think I've been most nationalities, a fair few races, certainly both genders and everything (context-dependent) from about 14 to 80. I take an enthusiastic and pro-active approach to emphatically pooping in any data gatherer's data soup, every chance I get, except for, y'know, banks, government departments (* see note) and other occasions where my future might involve lousy food, bars over the windows (not the OS type of Windows) and unpleasanr shower experiences, if I were to fib a bit.

If they can get some sort of identifier that ties you to certain hardware (like expensive GPUs) AND a identifier that speciically identifies you on it's own, or in conjunction with other data (name, address, phone number, email address, IP address, phone IMEI/IMSI, browser identity, machine CPU and other hardware details, geo-location .... yadda, yadda, yadda, ten they have both a valuable, and sellable if they feel inclined, resource.

It's why they stoppedd that puzzles me? Maybe they figured out that many/most people invent half the detail and that their database was actually useless? What worries me, though, is that it seems so many people just fill in this stuff as a matter of course, without thinking about it. Ive lost track of how many sites, companies and organisations that have absolutely no need to knw want my date of birth (no bleeping way I answer that honestly, except for those government departments etc where it's necessary, like te Pensions department), or my mother's maiden name (a very common security question, but no security at all if you tell anyone that asks), or my first school, favourite pet's name and so on. In short, anything they can get.

And, when you are also installing their software on their machine, who knows what else their app does, then phone's home with?

Now .... anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

* Note - Well, some government departments. Anything where I'd be at risk of fraud or somesuch, I provide the minimum I can get away with, but it's accurate. Other government departments .... I might have been stretching accuracy a tad with my census answer, for example, when the nosy *bleeps* thought that what my religious beliefs were was any of their damn business, when I declared myself a Jedi Knight. Me, and about half the population, from what I remember.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX6800 16GB (XFX SWFT 319)
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I will say the last nvidia card I owned was an fx5200 and it amazes me to think the drivers interface hasn't changed much since then (just assumed it had) and needed an account.

Seems I have been ruined by decades of 'awful' AMD drivers.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I'll have to try it this week. The GeForce experience has just been an app I've installed but never used for any long period. Never felt it served any real purpose for me so will be interested in the replacement.

I'd be slightly surprised if they removed the control panel aspect entirely.
    There will be business machines and people who do not want the nVidia app that would still need to make some hardware changes. Albeit expect a smaller set of options in comparison.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I used the Experience a couple of times and even recorded some gameplay.
    Haven't used it since getting a 780 Lightning and just installed the new drivers each time... Presumably they'll now be forcing me to use the app and freely give away my data to people who'll get fat and rich off it?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I'm also wary of this meaning they drop their driver-only offering, which is all I need.

Chat with RTX on the other hand is very cool

Thread Information